• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Shakes

cjskts

Hi. I just need some reassurance. I'm 2 weeks post op. I'm just starting to eat purée and soft foods. This morning I had a protein shake made up with milk. I'm trying to up my protein and my dietician says to have enriched milk which is semi milk with skimmed milk powder in. But I really don't like this. Sobi had it made with a protein powder instead. All was fine until just now. I got a horrendous belly ache and tried to go to the loo. Without going Ito too much details, I was there for a while. Are protein shaks ok on this op? Is it likely to just be my body adjusting rather than the shake? It's nt auger etc as it hardly has any. Just need a bit of reassurance. X

cjskts said:
Hi. I just need some reassurance. I'm 2 weeks post op. I'm just starting to eat purée and soft foods. This morning I had a protein shake made up with milk. I'm trying to up my protein and my dietician says to have enriched milk which is semi milk with skimmed milk powder in. But I really don't like this. So I had it made with a protein powder instead. All was fine until just now. I got a horrendous belly ache and tried to go to the loo. Without going into too much details, I was there for a while. Are protein shakes ok on this op? Is it likely to just be my body adjusting rather than the shake? It's not sugar etc as it hardly has any. Just need a bit of reassurance. X

Sorry for all spelling errors. I'm on iPhone and half the text disappeared. I've edited it in this quote to make it easier to read. X

Hi, on the whole yes they're fine, I had them often immediately post op. I used the unflavoured one you can get from holland & Barrett, with no major problems. I did however in the first couple of weeks seem to react to the milk as I'd feel light headed & have chronic stomach ache & the trots after eating or drinking milk based products. Not so much yoghurts but glasses of milk or shakes, so for a brief time only again a week or so I changed to soya, rice or oat milk but mainly soya milk, it gave my pouch a chance to settle & I was soon back on the semi skimmed cows milk again.
Another idea to boost the protein while having a shake type drink is a quarter cup each of milk, fage or other 0% Greek yoghurt, fruit (tinned in juice (drained), fresh or frozen) mixed with a scoop of plain protein powder all blitzed with a hand blender or similar makes a lovely flavoured shake/smoothie without added sugars etc. that you can change without having lots of expensive flavoured protein powders.
Hope that helps. I'm now 15mths post op 8st down overall pre & post op in size 10 clothes from size 20-22's & a stone ish away from a healthy bmi & weight excess skin allowing, but even if I can't hit that the hospital are pleased with me as overall I've lost 93% of my excess weight so far so I can see where they're coming from but would love to hit the healthy bmi & weight for my height even if its only just in at the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi I'm interested on this thread as I can't bear milk! Where do you get plain protein powder from? Does if taste of anything and what do you put it in?

I've just ordered syntrax cookie powder but it was £30 so if I (or my pouch) doesn't like it I'm stuffed wasting loads of cash

Do you think I should try the shake again and see what happens? Perhaps make it smaller or add it to yogurt. I am drinking a lot of milk so maybe try replacing it with a different version will help. Always even able to drink milk before op, I love it. But maybe I can't tolerate it as much. Wondered if maybe 37g of protein in one drink was too much.

I got mine from Holland ad Barrett. It was £17. I got the vanilla one. X

Sounds to me like you dumped. Same thing happened to me the other day after having some low fat custard. I'd leave it a week or so, then try again.

Dumped on the protein shake? Wow, I thought you dumped straight after. I did have a hot chocolate at bedtime, Highlights one made with milk and I was totally fine on that the previous 3 nights. Have just started eating purée food so had a blitzed up sausage and a bit of pasta bake ( was mega sloppy) for tea. Had some frozen mash and gravy for lunch. So the shake and what I had for lunch an tea were All new yesterday.

How many grams of carbs does the powder have, particularly the of which sugars ones. If its too high in sugar that could be the issue x

Per 100g it has 0.2g of sugar. Per serving scoop it's 0.05g. Which is why I'm surprised if its the protein shake. X

Please try these from tesco they're divine

Attachments

• image-1576688050.jpg
    image-1576688050.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 299
Jo

How much are these Tesco ones? I'm presuming they have milk in them? I seem to have become allergic to bloody milk but I can manage a petit filous!

They're 1.99 a can xx

It's happened again tonight, only once. But had no shakes and no milk. So I think it must be my body copy with my new way of life etc. hubby suggested eating more fibre. I have some fybogel so will see if that helps firm 'it' up. Lol. X

Back