• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein shots?

alberqueque

Hi i was never advised to take these post op and am wondereing if i should have or be taking them? I am post bypass since feb - thanks

i asked about protien suppliments when i went for my 6 week post op check up. The dr said that i needed a minimum of 80g of protien a day and if i was struggling getting that in it was agood idea to use suppliments. He also said thet if i had more than the 80g occasionally it wouldnt do any harm so i have a 25g shot a day this way im not having to constantly work out what i have had as the last thing i want is to go back to weight watchers day and constantly count points lol

Using protein supplements is a choice. I have found through my own research that using them has been a secret weapon of many post-op bypassers that are successful in losing their weight and more importantly maintaining weightloss 5-10 years later. For me, whatever has been proven to work for others is worth trying. I have used supplements from the day I returned from the hospital and I believe it has helped me be as successful as I have been. I plan to continue my high protein diet for life as I see the health benefits and I find it easy to eat as I like protein and protein supplements. Some doctors and dieticians don't suggest protein supplementation but I believe that from looking at success stories it is the logical way to be healthy and lose weight over the long term.

That's my opinion but I suggest you do a bit of research yourself if you are unsure.

HTH,
Nic:D

I always agree with Nic (its the easier way of life these days ;)) but till recently i never used or advocated to protein suppliments and i lost my weight just through healthier choices and an understanding of exactly how my pouch works in conjunction with my digestive system. Now the fact that i like meat and tend to eat a lot of it may have meant that my protein levels have always been high, but i cant be sure.

I've recently started using protein suppliments and currently do a 45g supplimentation half an hour before my daily exercise regime, and although i really cant be sure if its doing anything to my weight loss, it does seem to boost my energy level and i seem to be able to go further and faster than i would without it, i dont know why or cant really explain this, it just seems to give me a good kick.

Like Nics said my suppliment is also very tasty, i take it about mid afternoon and it fills me up, so its a healthier choice for a mid afternoon snack therefore preventing me snacking on rubbish.

I was reading somewhere, don't ask me where, as I have forgotten, that a person should consume 0.6 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

I am sure that can't be right, I's have to eat over 150grams of the stuff!!! LOL

Caz it is .6g per kilo of body weight if you are in good health and are sedentary. Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training. I have seen a recommendation for post-bypass as 1-1.25g per kilo of ideal weight (you don't need to feed fat cells since they are technically food stores).

So, my ideal max weight is 157lbs, which is 71.3kilos, 71.3 x 1(1.25)=71.3-89grams of protein per day.

Nic:D

I always agree with Nic (its the easier way of life these days ;))

You make me laugh, as if I would make life hard for you, lol! Glad that you converted the protein side, we have milkshakes:p (the protein kind anyway!).

I was going to say the gram to pound ration sounded a bit high, makes sense now if it is gram to kilo....phew.

I'd have never fitted the 7 chickens in...:D

Back