• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein...so confused. Help Please!!

indianlight

Hi everyone,

I think Nic may answer this one she seems to be the resident protein expert...lol

I need to increase my protein in my diet, I'm 4 month post bypass, but i'm confused as to what I should try.

I don't want to bulk buy then not like stuff. So would love some recomendations. I am going to make the oatmeal slices from Nics recipe and may try some others. But i'm unsure if I should buy a lot of protein powder and if I would use it....arrghhhh

Please sort my head out....thanks in advance!:sigh:

oops, forgot to say that I had looked for protein bars today and they were all covered in chocolate...

Last edited:
didnt want to read and run but im stuck with protein 2! nic is amazing and will probs have an answer xx

Protein drinks?

they make me sick! think there 2 sweet and they smell rank! x

Hello, I hope I can help. Unfortunately protein powders & drinks very WIDELY and what one person thinks is yum another one thinks is vile!

So here are some of my favs and a couple recommendations I have from other people:

BSN Lean Dessert (my very fav, if you order one and hate it I will buy it off you, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them)
all flavours are great - Banana Cream Pudding, Banana Nut Bread, Chocolate Coconut Candybar, Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Fresh Cinnamon Roll, Whipped Vanilla Creme
Cheap UK Supplements - Lean Dessert Protein

MET RX Ready to Drink Protein Drinks, they come in Choc, Vanilla, Banana, Strawberry (I hated this one) & Choc Mint (liked this one alot) you can pick-up one to try at Holland & Barrets to check taste but then buy them in bulk online:
MET Rx Ready To Drink 12 x 330ml Carton | UK CHEAP SUPPLEMENTS | MRPs | MET Rx Ready To Drink 12 x 330ml Carton

Maxiuscle Promax from your local Tesco, lots of people on here use it, I tried the Artic Cappichino and liked it.

Protein bars, I have tried several and these taste the best and because they are Atkins that means low sugar:
Atkins Product, bar | Sugar Free Megastore, Carbohydrate Diet, shopping, chocolate, diet, food

Here are a few of tips:
1. Always make you shakes as cold as possible (if drinking cold), I make mine with 50-75% milk and then top up with water, I put the entire shaker in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight so it gets very cold. It takes the 'ok' shakes to tasty everytime. Also remember they can be frozen and defrost as you drink it, a bit like a milk shake.

2. When making a shake try using fresh fruit, flavoured yogurt or even coffee to add a nice flavour, you can really customise it that way. There are also sugar-free flavoured syrups you can use to make them even better.

3. Add your scoop of protein powder to your favourite flavoured yougurt. That way in just a few spoons of yogurt you have a powerful punch of protein.

4. Use unflavoured protein powder in soup, mash, and squash.

5. Always buy whey based protein powder as it is better for us wls peeps than soy with at least 20g protein per scoop.

6. If you use protein shots (fruit flavoured protein ready to drink), add a little sugar-free squash to them and then pour into an ice cube tray and freeze, pop the protein cubes into cold water and sip for hours on the lightly flavoured protein drink. Also, use protein shots when making your favourite jelly, then you have a protein snack.

7. Remember that a good shaker makes all the difference when trying to get a smooth lump-free shake, I use this one BB and it beats pants of others I have tried.

As you move on, you should be able to get your daily protein requirements through healthy eating. However, many of us long-term peeps still do use them to help keep a nice balance. I make protein cakes, ice cream & cookies on a regular basis because I love them!

As far as protein bars go I do like them, especially the Atkins ones, so tasty, but very expensive. If you find one you like, make sure it has low calories as well as low sugar. They are a great tool to help you along if you want to use them, however again finding ones you like may prove expensive.

Nic;)

IRJ I have looked into what you have asked and found lots about it on bodybuilding forums.

Here is the deal in my opinion (again I am not a professional just someone who does alot of personal research) with time-limits for protein supplements - when you use protein powder you are told to mix it with liquid, once it is mixed the entire structure changes and it starts to degrade getting ready for digestion. As long as you keep the mixed shake cold, the degrading process is massively slowed giving your many hours life on the shake. Your tub of protein powder will specifically state a time limit such as 'drink immediately' after mixing if it is likely to degrade quickly when mixed, also the 'drink immediately' may be a warning about flavour/texture change and not nutrition as the longer some powders stay mixed the stronger the flavour.

Ready to drink proteins are completely a different product, they are suspended in liquid and heated to bond so the time limit is days (provided it is chilled) not hours or minutes. They have an unopened shelf-life of up to a year in some cases!

It is my opinon that it is not practical for a protein product to become nutritionally valueless in a few minutes as long as it is chilled. However, if you dislike the flavour or texture change that can happen mix your drink right before you want to consume it. I find that carrying a small container of protein powder in my bag when I go out is a good solution to possible eating of junk, all I have to do is buy a container of milk and a cup of ice and I have a shake!

Hope that helps and remember this is just one woman's opinion;),
Nic:p

Thanks Nic,

you are a lifesaver. I'm off to investigate this weekend and see what I can find. A friend has offered a taste of some bars, so that will help. In the meantime I'm off ot the recipe section to copy some of your suggestions!!

This is why I love this site, the answers always here and you stop panicking!!

ooo, can I ask you. I've had my b12, taking the correct multivitamins, adcal. But i'm finding i'm still feeling a bit tired, do you think thats cos i'm not getting enough protein? or have you experienced this due to something else?? thanks xx

It could be lack of protein, it could also be that you are consuming too few calories. Surprisingly enough, it is very common for bypassers to 'under-eat' due to the quick fullness we all get. Make sure that you are managing to eat at least 3 small meals everyday and perhaps a protein snack as well, NEVER skip a meal early days because you can end up feeling very weak. Also make sure that you are getting plenty of fluids as dehydration, even a very mild case causes fatigue. I am guilty of drinking too much coffee which makes me really have to work to get in other fluids so watch out for that pitfall.

If you up your protein and water and still feel really fatigued, you should mention it to your GP, they can take blood and make sure that all is well.

Nic;)

Nic your knowledge really is incredible! Just fantastic :)

Protein for me is all the good stuff that I should be eating. My girlfriend thinks I'm weird because some days I will eat a pot of cottage cheese or a packet of pre cooked flavoured chicken for my breakfast! Yes having chicken for my breakfast is a little different but its a great protein kick to start my day. A good healthy and protein packed breakfast means I will usually have a good healthy day. I also eat a lot of scrambled or poached eggs for breakfasts, again great protein and I guess a little more conventional lol

I aim to have the biggest portion of any meal as protein. Even if I have pasta, I will add chicken, prawns or tuna to it and will actually eat more of the protein than the carbs in the meal.

For those at the early stages of wls, I would certainly recommend NSC Protein Shots, they are 30g of protein in 80ml of liquid, yes they taste horrible, but they are really good for us as we can get the same amount of protein in 80ml of liquid as eating 100g of chicken which I know we can't all manage just yet.

Edamame Beans - they are a soya bean that provides 40g of protein per 100g, I snack on these and they taste lovely and are a great protein source...

Babybell Light are another good snack, 9g protein per one I believe...

I haven't eaten much fish recently (except prawns) so am starting to re introduce fish such as salmon, cod, haddock and tuna back into my diet as they really are great for us :)

I know getting the right amount and types of protein is hard and I am fortunate I can eat anything but I think if people follow the advice Nics given and just focus every meal as being mostly protein, your weight loss journey will definately be a successful one xxxxx

I, like Mark, just try to eat good sources of protein. I have cottage cheese, salmon, tuna, chicken, bacon, egg, quorn and milk. I have some of the above each meal time and when I want a snack I have a couple of nuts or a light cheese triangle.

HTH
x

Atkins bars are good if you needa quick fix - low carbs and mostly choccy flavours - not my favourite

Nuts are high protein but high fat too

Milk - can be used in all sorts of ways and can have "marvel" type milk powders to fortify it

M&S do salted endamame beans and wasabi peas - both high in protein and less fat than nuts

Meat, fish cheese, eggs etc as mentioned before

Burgen bread has 6 gm protein per slice and can be toasted or dried in oven like a cracker apparently ( not tried this yet)

I stopped having protein drinks cos they were so disgusting - but I don't like chocolate drinks - yuk. Nectar isn't so bad but isn't good either!!

I think meat and fish have about 7gms per ounce

Not an expert but DSers have to have 100gm protein a day - so you get good at looking at labels for protein content

Hope this helps

Angela

sorry guys, i've been away for a few days, just got back, had a fab time but have gained weight think its due to bad food choices and vodka too...but back on track I hope!!

Thanks for all the advice, I think i'm eating too much but expect i'm not just not enough of the right things...lets hopw here on in I can up the protein!! xxx

Back