• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psychological help??

kellbells

Does anyone know how to get the psychological support after wls? I had my band on Saturday privately but feel as though I need additional support. I keep having moments of "have I made a mistake?" "is this what I really want?"
I know it's only 3 days post-op and I'm still in pain and very bloated which is not nice, but the thought of never being able to eat something I really want is worrying me. I enjoy food, albeit too much, I'm already missing the relationship I had with it.
Can you believe I'm a psychiatric nurse?! I can preach to people all day long, but when it comes to me I feel helpless. Stupid I know.

oh hun im still pre op but the only thing i can say is there is a reason why u did this, u need to try think about the reasons why u went ahead and think in a few weeks u will feel better and be able to start your new life. and instead of a relationship with bad food it will be a relationship with more healthy food and the biggest relationship will be with clothes :) smaller clothes that u can just grab instead of thinking hmmm this wont fit me.
well thats what i would think of anyway ;) but answer to your question is yes i think there is additional help out there 4 after op maybe go see your gp or phone the hospital where you had it done and ask them.
im sure someone who is post op will be more helpful but i hope iv helped a little. chin up :) and try stay possitive xxx

I think we've probably all gone through something similar immediately after the surgery but once you start to see the effects and the weight starts to come off you'll wonder why you ever had any doubts.
As you said it's still early days yet and you're still in pain so you're going to feel a little bit "what have I done" but the harsh truth is what would you prefer, the additional weight on and the health risks associated with it but you can eat what you like. Or hitting the goal weight you want and having a healthier life from here on in but you'll have to re-educate your brain into what you should and shouldn't eat as opposed to what you can and can't eat.

I hope my twopenneth helps it is difficult but then nobody said it was going to be easy :)

Thanks Jess and Brian. Just seem to feel low today and questioning my surgery. I know it's been a bad relationship with food and I am looking forward to seeing the results of my new good relationship with food but I'm already craving the sensation of actually eating. Not drinking. I'm sure it'll pass. Gotta stay focussed x

no probs :) its worth all the drama once ur healed. like brian said no1 said it will be easy we all know what we have to face. and just think uv got the surgery out the way just to recover and im sure u will be ok. and dont forget we here if you want to talk. :) xxx

Can you go to your GP and ask to be referred for counselling? Most practices have a counsellor attached but if not they might be able to refer you to a mental health team that will give you a call and assess how urgent your case is. You might have quite a wait so although you are only a couple of days out of surgery and you will most likely pick up when the weight starts to come off and you adjust, if you are worried you can get on a list. Then if you don't need it later on your place will go to someone else.

Think you have a wonderful profession, my mum wouldn't of been without help from psych nurses the last two years. So I appreciate people who take on a tough job like that. It's always the way though, when it's yourself you are always to close to it to be able to take on your own advice. I'm sure after a few more days when the pain goes and you have some more energy you will feel so much better. Lots of luck :) x

I did the old pro and cons thing, and the only con I came up with was that I couldn't eat to excess any more....then I realised that should be on the Pro side!

As Jess said we're all here for you and will help in whatever way we can. I doubt anybody on here did this without advice from someone on here either before surgery or post or in my case both.
think of the positives and remember your own words "stay focussed"

Don't worry, you can enjoy a relationship with food. Just it will be a healthier relationship. There is no reason why you have to go without totally. It's all about finding the right balance. Give yourself a few days to recover from the anaesthetic and it will come flooding back to you, the reason why you chose to take action about your weight now! Tiny baby steps and you will achieve your goals in the long run x

Most of us had this kind of withdrawal at your stage and it's completely understandable, food has ruled our lives! Don't rush into seeking help too quickly as I would bet that in a couple of weeks time when you start to come out the other side fully those feelings will subside x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

It is a great profession and I love my job shellie, it's always good to know we do actually help people and I wish the best for your mum :)

Thankyou all for your support. I feel like I'm glued to this app on my phone, looking for answers and advice so apologies if I'm getting people's nerves :-(
I didn't anticipate how I'd feel immediately after the surgery. It's all so very exciting leading up to the op. didn't help that I had quite a traumatic time in hospital either but that's another story!

It's strange, I'm just craving to crunch on something! Already!! I'm not hungry particularly. Old habits die hard.
I think I will do a simple pros and cons list as you did just to remind myself.
I'm certain this is because of being on a liquid diet, once I can eat properly again I think I'll be fine.

You're all do great and supportive on here. Thankyou :) xx

your defo not getting on anyones nerves. for me and people like me u r educating us as we have this to go through. and for the others, well they have all been there so know how u are feeling.
i keep thinking im annoying ever1 with all my posts and questions, but thats what this place is for and so many helpful people on here. i love this site :) xxx

You are definitely not getting on my nerves! You are most welcome to post any worries you have as it helps us all to see what we may experience ourselves.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I'm sure I'll experience mixed feelings, it's only to be expected. Food has been, and is my best friend at the moment.

Like others have said, give things time to settle and I'm sure you will feel you have made the right decision.

keep posting...x

I had exactly the same feelings as you on my third day, and I fully get what you saying about missing the eating sensation. I got over the questioning part when I weighed in and saw the results. However only started feeling a bit happier when I started mushy foods. I think it takes a while to get our heads around the bad relationship we had with food, but I definately love seeing the weight come down and the healthier me even after such a small loss. Hang in there and it won't be long befor you will love your band. Xxx

Chin up Kellbells! Be strong. Like many have said I believe you're just the same road many other post banders have taken. It's al natural to feel the way you do so it seems, you've just had to deal with the Band & your hernia! So don't forget that. You'll get through this & very soon you'll be saying to everyone that it's just a stepping stone we all go through! Just agile soon you'll be popping into Coast, River Island Etc etc & be taking the clothes off the racks instead of looking at the frumpy clothes at the back! You go girl, be brave, keep your chin up & your smile will soon return to face & give a glow as bright as the sun. Not long and normal food will be ready for you to munch on soon. Thinking of you & hoping you'll be more comfortable soon take care big hugs sash xx

Thanks sasha, I really hope I'm not putting you off with my moaning! I'm such a weakling after any surgery, takes me a while to get back to normal.

Feel a bit more positive today. Just having a lay down though cos I keep coming over all dizzy and nauseous. Haven't managed to eat yet.....only had a smoothie, tea and juice so far. Weather is gorgeous here in sunny devon and I'm getting a tan! Bowel movements have gone from one extreme to the other (sorry....!) and I have a very gurgly tummy!

Wind pain is worse after eating or drinking as expected. Dying to burp though, it gets to my diaphragm, really hurts then goes back down.

Ho hum. Getting there slowly. My smile is very gradually edging its way back :) xx

What a pity you didn't think about this sufficiently before you spent the money.

They don't call the first week post op hell week for nothing and buyers remorse is very very common post op. Give yourself a break, you've just been through fairly major surgery and need time to heal. It will get better and as for your relationship with food, you're changing friends not getting a divorce LOL

You'd be lucky to get an NHS counselling appointment before you won't actually need it because you'll have adjusted how you feel all by yourself in a few days/weeks. You could always go private if you feel you need a session quickly, but trust me you'll feel fine in a few days

Good luck x

Back