• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psychological help??

Kellbells

Hey you're defo not putting me off lovey, no chance of that. I'm honest & appreciate the honesty of everyone. Why paint a false picture when actually that's not going to help anyone!

It's really good to hear you're getting there. Hey I've learnt so much since joining the forum. It's a lot harder in reality than I thought it was going to be. But I'd rather be better prepared & know the facts than not. So it's all good.

So only as far as smoothies...just you wait till weigh in. You'll realise all the pain & suffering is going to be worth it. When you get to a lovely size again you'll be saying it was with every penny & wished you done it sooner.

As for the weather well isn't it gorgeous! You'll have a lovely tab by the end of the week. I just wish I could sit outside in it but I find it too sweaty in this country, I like the dry heat abroad me.

Well it defo sounds like you're heading in the right direction Kell which is fab news and a lot say after the first few days you're body settles down so hoping you're on that road now. I'm still racing to catch the post each day in hope that my letter of appointment has arrived...I shall keep waiting patiently, counting down each week, I know it will soon be here.

Enjoy the sunshine Kell, keep smiling ? I'm thinking of you x

I have to be honest on here and to myself. I'm struggling but I think that's ok. It's to be expected. Karlos, I did spend a lot of time making my decision, it wasn't light hearted I just don't think any amount of preparation prepares you for some of the feelings, well certainly not me anyway. It's an enormous change of lifestyle to come to terms with so abruptly.

I'm looking forward to shopping for clothes I want, not just ones that fit. I'm looking forward to the health benefits and feeling fitter. Just gotta give it time and give myself some head space!

Fingers crossed for your letter arriving soon sasha xxx

Hey kelly, I feel exactly the same! I started to feel weird on the operating table!! All the things my hubby and family had said to me about it being drastic etc etc didn't hit me til then. I've felt overwhelmed since. I had my band a week ago today. I can say that today is the first day I've properly felt back to my old self so I hope you do too in a day or so. I agree about extra support, if it wasn't for this site I'd have gone out of my mind!!! I'm going to put it on my feedback form. in my wildest dreams I didn't think it would effect me like it has mentally. Stay strong and focused, we will laugh about it soon!!! Xxx

Thankyou mrs flump xx

Dinky, it's an awful feeling isn't it? No preparation could've changed it either. We all deal with things differently but it's good to know we're together in it. Where did u have yours done? I went to Dolan park, had a horrid experience so sent them a 3 page long complaint letter yesterday!
I'm still suffering badly with trapped wind, to the point of wailing last night in pain.
Glad to hear you're starting to feel normal again. I can't wait for that! Xx

I know it isnt the best taste have you tried peppermnt tea I didnt like it much but it did release the wind and I found as soon as I had a drink I had a little walk round and that did help move the wind round. All the best hope your feeling better soon. Wendy

I agree, I thought I was prepared! It's like having a baby I think, you don't know what it's going to be like, only what you think it's gonna be like then it happens and you're like OH MY GOODNESS WHAT IS GOING ON??!! I was at Dolan park too, I thought it was great, what weren't you happy with? :( my trapped wind is going now thankfully, it's been driving me nuts!!!! X

Thanks Wendy, I think I may well have to try the tea! Although been to drs this morning and they've given me oramorph which has helped tremendously! I've been out, had a shower and even booked myself in for a manicure on Monday!
Feeling a lot more positive today, although still craving "eating".

There is a list of problems I experienced at dp, including being left in a room for 8hrs without anyone seeing if I were ok. They wouldn't let me have a drink even though I was supposed to be allowed, one nurse told my mum I'd have to be out by 9am the next morning and that I'd only had minor surgery, no one spoke to me after the op even tho I had an unexpected hiatus hernia repair. If it weren't for my mum telling me I still wouldn't know now. And the list goes on. Individually not much of a problem but combined made it bloody awful!

Anyway, enough of my moaning....
......Day I of feeling nearly human so I'm happy :eek:) xx

sounds horrible chick :( i know its not the same but i had my wisdom teeth out in march, was told last min that i would have to stay in or they wernt doing it, cuz i had chest infection and im overweight so wernt happy doing it under a general anyway. i said i would only if they got me my meds as i didnt have them with me. was told they would. then wen i came round wanted a drink in recovery and they said i could have one wen i got to the ward, i didnt have one 4 over 3 hours. i had to pull a blood clot out of my mouth with my fingers. Sorry i know thats disgusting. lol. then cuz i kept ringing my buzzer because there was a 90 year old woman next to me who was talking to herself saying she needed the toilet, they moved me to a room on my own so they could just ignore the elderly lady :O how bad is that. they didnt get me my meds and to make things worse they tried to offer me a straw which ur not aloud after wisdom teeth removal and couldnt find anything for me to eat so offered me a sandwich, 1 of the nurses asked if they were mad as id just had wisdom teeth out. needless to say i went mad with the nurse the next day, and my dad had to walk out cuz i embarresed him lol. oh well they should have treated me like a human being, i wouldnt even treat a dog the way they did me. :( nhs is terrible these days so to know you had urs privatly and had bad experience doesnt give me much hope when i have mine :(.
im so glad u r feeling better today cant wait to start hearing your progress xxx

That sounds horrendous Jess! I hope you wrote a letter of complaint.

Don't be put off by my experience Hun, everyone else seems to have had a good one. Just be prepared for the conveyor belt treatment. They will ship you out ASAP. BUT if for whatever reason you don't feel well enough, ready etc etc make sure you stand your ground! Sounds like you do anyway my lovely, good for you! ;-)

I've just been out for a short walk with my boyf and dog. We all had an ice-cream ( :eek: yes, and the dog!) mine had choc chips in which I crunched to practically nothing and I didn't eat the cone. It was very nice and lifted my spirits a lot :)
Returned home with yet more wind pain so just had a drop of oramorph.

Definitely starting to pick up mentally as well as physically :) xx

was horrible but couldnt wait to get out and they new exactly what i thought of them hahaha. so yes i do stand my ground, i must be the most arkward annoying patient, but way i see it is its there job to look after you, you shouldnt have to ask. as u know doing job u do ;).
im so glad u felt well enough to go out n get a ice cream. dog must be getting fat as he will be eating more than u lol. did u give him the cone? oramorph works a treat i have some for my back aswel as other morphine tablets so and wen i take them most ppl would be passed out but not me i start to buzz lol.
when are you able to start eating sort of normally? xxx

I think I can go to the soft diet after 2 weeks of the liquid one. So, Saturday/Sunday I can finally have mince meat, mash etc. I'm really looking forward to it :)
My lovely doggie is a border collie who burns off energy faster than I can eat a bar of chocolate....fast! She has an ice cream treat occasionally, especially when it's hot :)

I was offered psychological care within the package I had from St Richard's, but you could ask your doctor to refer you to someone.

Hi Kell,

Just found this as was thinking about what you said that we needed to get our brains in gear as well as our bodies!

I've had a look online with spire who did my op to see if they have and post op groups and I can't see one yet. I've tried to talk to my db about it but he wasn't really getting it so I've not bothered to now.

Roll on changing mental habits as well as the physical body changes hey! :)

Also your little dog sounds lovely! I've got a 10 month old shin tzu who isn't enjoying this heat bu I'm sure if I offered him an ice cream he would lap it up lol!

Nxx

Hi ya nat,
My bf is very supportive but doesn't fully appreciate the mental struggle. You'll prob find its just fellow wls people who do my lovely.

I love little shitzu's, dogs are great :)
Hope you're ok xx

Kelly xx

He is very supportive but sometimes doesn't get it, typical man hey! I explained that slthought I've had the op Im mentally changing habbits etc which is difficult being Only 5 days post op and he started going "I know, I know" grrrrrr you don't know lol!

Yep, typical!
I find I tell him some stuff but other stuff I just ask/discuss with other wls people. We have to support eachother and stick together!
We're becoming new people in every aspect. It's a life changing experience and both our body and mind need to re-balance and become happy with its new way of living.
It defo lifts your spirits when the weight starts to disappear. A week ago today at this exact time I was in surgery! I weighed for the first time today and have lost 7lbs!! Can't believe it! Very motivating. You'll be saying the same in a few days :) woo!

Kelly xx

Hiya,

I was just wondering at what point you saw a dietician, if you have already. I know you're with THG too :)

I hadn't thought of getting counselling. You make a good point for needing support to get us through the mental changes we need to make. I'm conflicted about it, part of me believes in the science of it the other part thinks it's nonsense, fake science. :D kind of how I'm an atheist but I also kind of believe in ghosts... Lol

Thump said:
Hiya,

I was just wondering at what point you saw a dietician, if you have already. I know you're with THG too :)

I hadn't thought of getting counselling. You make a good point for needing support to get us through the mental changes we need to make. I'm conflicted about it, part of me believes in the science of it the other part thinks it's nonsense, fake science. :D kind of how I'm an atheist but I also kind of believe in ghosts... Lol

Hi ya thump,

I've not seen a dietician yet, my appt is on the 16th June which will be a month post-op.

I think the biggest challenge is the psychological/mental part (I prob would, I'm a psychiatric nurse!) nonetheless, discussing the relationship we have with food is vital and how best to prepare ourselves mentally and guide ourselves through this process. I'm going to look into this when I'm fully recovered. I think it's so important and very underestimated by these companies who offer wls. xx

Back