• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psychologist

prmdc098

I know that we all need to see a psychologist before being considered for surgery. What sort of things are they asking? I already see a psychologist every 2 weeks and take anti depressants currently. Will this affect my chances when a major part of my depression and anxiety is weight related?

When I saw the psychologist (twice), I had to give my history of why I thought i had gained so much weight. I was in therapy at the time, and this was seen as a good thing as it meant I was trying to address my psychological issues. They will want to know whether after surgery you are aware of what causes you to overeat, so you can take steps to work with those.

When I saw a psychologist she asked questions about my family, when my weight problems started, why I wanted to lose weight and what changes I had made to lose weight. It was painless enough x

I think it is about awareness as to why you are where you are, what type of issues you have with food, whether you have researched what surgery means and what life will be like afterwards and if you have an awareness of the need to break your current relationships with food. If we don't change our learned behaviour with food and the link to emotions etc and our current habits, then it will be very easy to go back to eating like that and the surgery will not be as successful. Initially it is also to assess whether further sessions would be recommended before being cleared for surgery. I really don't think being in therapy already would be seen as a bad thing.

I never saw one. That's why I'm seeking support now through counseling locally
That really surprises me given how we were at the same hospital! Not good. Have you got a counsellor yet, or are you still on the waiting list?

That really surprises me given how we were at the same hospital! Not good. Have you got a counsellor yet, or are you still on the waiting list?

On waiting list through IAPT. But with moving I may have to start again...

I was on the list for over 4 years, so maybe 4 years ago, they didn't routinely offer it.

On waiting list through IAPT. But with moving I may have to start again...

I was on the list for over 4 years, so maybe 4 years ago, they didn't routinely offer it.
Yes, was thinking that you might have to start again... Worth checking that out, as you may be able to be bumped up a new list?

Back