• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about food and calories lol

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all was just wondering if someone can answer 2 question for me pls.

I have been looking at the food intake of the post op RNY peeps 3/4 after surgery and was wondering if the body does not go into starvation mode as it is only having a tiny amount of calories and if it does not then can u tell me why.

If a person had enough self control to eat the same amount of food a person does post RNY and they have not had the op yet would it be harmful to them even if they made sure they were taking decent vit and iron supplements.

Thanks and take care xx

I think the answer lies with the protein supps and vitamins. I'm not really sure but if the body is getting adequate protein and nutrition it won't go into starvation mode. You will just lose excess fat. I don't think anyone would be able to sustain such a low calorie diet of their own. The surgery alters your hunger response - if you didn't have surgery and your feelings of hunger stayed the same you'd be eating your own arm by day 3 - it would go against your survival instinct to stay at 400 cals per day for any length of time. Hope this helps, Marion xx

Question 1 - why don't you go into starvation mode on the tiny amount of food post-bypass?

First of all you have to understand that if you follow your surgeon's guidelines you should be able to manage 300-500 calories per day pretty early post-op. If I understand it properly that is about the equal to the Cambridge Diet calories so you can see is as a very low calorie diet for a short time enforced by your pouch size and dumping. In those early days if you maintain a high level of protein your body will not think it is starving because it will constantly have protein going in to provide fuel. After a few months a bypasser should manage 600-800 calories again tempered with lots of protein so your body will continue to burn fat and not starve. By a year post-op you should be able to manage 1000-1500 calories per day and never be at risk of starvation.

2. Would it do you harm to do a bypass diet without having had the bypass? Simple answer is no, very low calorie diets are okay for short periods of time if you check with your GP and make sure you are fit enough to do so. However, if willpower is not a problem and you can change your lifestyle without surgical help then why have the surgery at all? It is my experience that people who consider wls do have trouble sticking to a diet and have tried all sorts of diets without the ability to maintain weight loss. If you were to do a 'bypass' diet you could lose weight but would you be able to maintain down the road without the help of restriction and dumping?

HTH,
Nic;)

Great answer and fantastic advice :) Thumbs up....

Wanted to rep you but I have to share the love.:rolleyes:

Nic - you put that so much better than I did!:giggle: Marion xx

I think the answer lies with the protein supps and vitamins. I'm not really sure but if the body is getting adequate protein and nutrition it won't go into starvation mode. You will just lose excess fat. I don't think anyone would be able to sustain such a low calorie diet of their own. The surgery alters your hunger response - if you didn't have surgery and your feelings of hunger stayed the same you'd be eating your own arm by day 3 - it would go against your survival instinct to stay at 400 cals per day for any length of time. Hope this helps, Marion xx

Hi Marion and thank u for replying take care xxxx

Question 1 - why don't you go into starvation mode on the tiny amount of food post-bypass?

First of all you have to understand that if you follow your surgeon's guidelines you should be able to manage 300-500 calories per day pretty early post-op. If I understand it properly that is about the equal to the Cambridge Diet calories so you can see is as a very low calorie diet for a short time enforced by your pouch size and dumping. In those early days if you maintain a high level of protein your body will not think it is starving because it will constantly have protein going in to provide fuel. After a few months a bypasser should manage 600-800 calories again tempered with lots of protein so your body will continue to burn fat and not starve. By a year post-op you should be able to manage 1000-1500 calories per day and never be at risk of starvation.

2. Would it do you harm to do a bypass diet without having had the bypass? Simple answer is no, very low calorie diets are okay for short periods of time if you check with your GP and make sure you are fit enough to do so. However, if willpower is not a problem and you can change your lifestyle without surgical help then why have the surgery at all? It is my experience that people who consider wls do have trouble sticking to a diet and have tried all sorts of diets without the ability to maintain weight loss. If you were to do a 'bypass' diet you could lose weight but would you be able to maintain down the road without the help of restriction and dumping?

HTH,
Nic;)

Hi Nic and ty for responding and also for giving me such a detailed response that i understand lol.
If i wanted to do a bypass diet say bout 500 cals a day then if i had say 80% protein but not in ketosis then my body would not go into starvation mode and is it because of the protein.
Soz i am asking all these questions lol thanks and take care luv Roch xx

Thank you - you are so nice! Mxx

Hi, I lost a lot of weight 3 years ago by very low cal diet.

I had 500-750 cals per day and I managed to keep that up for 9 months losing 12 stone in total. I maintained for about 4 months and then it gradually went back on - 10 stone back on right now - I didnt have any negative side affects by eating low calorie in fact I felt in really good health it was just incredibly difficult to keep going and after a year I lost my way. I was controlling the calories (obsessively) but also keep the carbs low so eating lots of protein with fresh fruit and veg too and avoiding the bread/pasta etc.

It was v-effective for me - 12stone lost in 9 months but ultimately I couldnt keep it up.

Dont know if this is any help?

X

Hi, I lost a lot of weight 3 years ago by very low cal diet.

I had 500-750 cals per day and I managed to keep that up for 9 months losing 12 stone in total. I maintained for about 4 months and then it gradually went back on - 10 stone back on right now - I didnt have any negative side affects by eating low calorie in fact I felt in really good health it was just incredibly difficult to keep going and after a year I lost my way. I was controlling the calories (obsessively) but also keep the carbs low so eating lots of protein with fresh fruit and veg too and avoiding the bread/pasta etc.

It was v-effective for me - 12stone lost in 9 months but ultimately I couldnt keep it up.

Dont know if this is any help?

X

Hi yes this does help me i wanted to send you pm but u dont have the facility yet,do u mind telling me roughly what your daily menus would of been, and could u not keep it up because of health reasons or because for what ever reason u then found it hard restricting ur food so much, thanks x

Lol no I dont seem to be able to PM either which seems a bit daft. I couldnt keep it up because after the best part of a year I felt like I needed a break from obsessing about every calorie. I think it was a lot to do with feeling better about myself and probably feeling like I'd got to where I wanted to size-wise. But I hadnt been able to fix whatever makes us over eat so as soon as I stopped I gradually went back to old habbits and then couldnt get control of it again.

As a result I know I can handle the small portions and the pre/post op diets but I'm hoping that the surgery gives me a more perminant solution. As we cant PM you can email me if you want: [email protected]

x

Lol no I dont seem to be able to PM either which seems a bit daft. I couldnt keep it up because after the best part of a year I felt like I needed a break from obsessing about every calorie. I think it was a lot to do with feeling better about myself and probably feeling like I'd got to where I wanted to size-wise. But I hadnt been able to fix whatever makes us over eat so as soon as I stopped I gradually went back to old habbits and then couldnt get control of it again.

As a result I know I can handle the small portions and the pre/post op diets but I'm hoping that the surgery gives me a more perminant solution. As we cant PM you can email me if you want: [email protected]

x

Hi porpo can see u now have the pm facility so have sent you a pm take care and thanks xxxx

Back