• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A quick question...

Emma Louise

Sorry to bother you all but just wanted to ask a question of post-bypassers and anyone else who knows the answer really.

I was just wondering, after the gastric bypass operation what sort of meals can you expect to be eating?
I know that you dont eat the amount of food that was eaten before, but do you eat the same food just a smaller amount?

Like, say you were hosting a dinner party with some friends/family 18 months after your operation, and you cooked them meat, potatoes and a bit of veg, would you be able to eat that but just a smaller amount to everyone else?

Sorry if i sound like a total fooooooool, i just want to know what im in for. :p

Yes in short. I am eating healthily post-op but not counting fats, calories etc etc, just healthier stuff - some of the others will be along to tell you about keeping your protein etc up. If I cook for my hub, at 7 weeks post-op, all I cannot have is bread, rice & chewy meat so I have what he does (healthy comfort food) only I have a tea plate full and eat less than half. I fully expect to be back on normal intake within a couple of months and long term so should you but have to be mindfull of food types that make you dump - like sugar / fat.

Haha, Allie, i love come dine with me!! Your on my wave length.

:) xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes in short. I am eating healthily post-op but not counting fats, calories etc etc, just healthier stuff - some of the others will be along to tell you about keeping your protein etc up. If I cook for my hub, at 7 weeks post-op, all I cannot have is bread, rice & chewy meat so I have what he does (healthy comfort food) only I have a tea plate full and eat less than half. I fully expect to be back on normal intake within a couple of months and long term so should you but have to be mindfull of food types that make you dump - like sugar / fat.

Ah, yes, thank you that makes sense.

Thank you very much love.

:)xxxxxx

Yes I eat smaller amounts of the same. Mind you I don't do desserts. I went to a wedding recently and was able to eat what the others did but not eat a whole plateful.
I try new foods at home to see how I cope, before trying them when I'm out. x x

I eat most thinks I ate pre op but in much smaller portions If Im out I dont have a pudding but I will perhaps have a spoon of my other halfs if he has any. I can tolerate most stuff now and do enjoy a tasty curry with a couple of spoons of rice and I like my bacon with cheese and toms at the weekend. When I first went on solids I couldnt stand the taste of tuna but Im ok with it now. You will be able to have a life after WLS but in much smaller amounts

Emma, I have prepared large dinners and eaten at events without a problem post-op. Last christmas (I was 9 weeks post-op) I did a pork roast with roasted veg & a sugar-free fruit parfait. When attending a do, go for foods you feel confident about (prawns, cold sliced meats, sliced cheeses, salad, olives) and go light on the filler/fattier foods and skip the sweets. You really can't go wrong that way. When cooking at home just make sure to make everything flavorful, make the healthier choices with added fats and make a sugar-free dessert that you can enjoy if you want to. Basically eat what you like in small portions and make the food as healthy as possible.

Nic;)

Emma, I have prepared large dinners and eaten at events without a problem post-op. Last christmas (I was 9 weeks post-op) I did a pork roast with roasted veg & a sugar-free fruit parfait. When attending a do, go for foods you feel confident about (prawns, cold sliced meats, sliced cheeses, salad, olives) and go light on the filler/fattier foods and skip the sweets. You really can't go wrong that way. When cooking at home just make sure to make everything flavorful, make the healthier choices with added fats and make a sugar-free dessert that you can enjoy if you want to. Basically eat what you like in small portions and make the food as healthy as possible.

Nic;)

Thanks Nic, that has put my mind at rest.
I was hoping what you said was the answer so thank you again!

I cant wait till i am a LOSER!!! :cool:

Back