• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question

Nat2104

Hi eveyone,

Can amyone give me any info on the milk diet? Is it literally milk? Considering doing it for my pre op diet! :)

hey hun i think its maximum of 3 peices of fruit, if your desperate sugar free jelly, and clear soup! tho every hospital is diff so please please ring your team and double check, its not entirely milk no... have they not give you a sheet?...

hi my milk diet was 4 pints of semi skimmed milk
1 bovril drink
1 pint of sugar free jelly
i vit tablet

pretty rough but end result was worth it
good luck x

cherry said:
hey hun i think its maximum of 3 peices of fruit, if your desperate sugar free jelly, and clear soup! tho every hospital is diff so please please ring your team and double check, its not entirely milk no... have they not give you a sheet?...

Not got a sheet yet got an appointment next week should get it then. Wanted to do some research first! Thanks for the info that sounds hard!

CHUCKY said:
hi my milk diet was 4 pints of semi skimmed milk
1 bovril drink
1 pint of sugar free jelly
i vit tablet

pretty rough but end result was worth it
good luck x

That does sound hard! I love milk i mainly drink that and squash so i could do that it just does t seem alot! You can have othe stuff instead of the above? Heard people mention yoghurts!
Thanks for the help!!

Mixman said:
Depends which surgeoun you're under. Dr Ackroyd it's 3 pints of milk and 2 low fat/diet yoghurts a day for 10 days pre-op.

Water and diet fluids freely but any coffee/tea, milk to be taken out of allowance :)

It's a pain in the arse but worth it xx

Thanks for the help! My surgeon has just said i need to lose weigh before the op but how i do it is up to me, he recommended slim fast because all the vitamins etc in there. Im just exploring other options! :)

Does it have to be semi skimmed milk? I only drink skimmed as semi makes me feel a bit sick. I love milk though.
Whats the longest time you can do it for?

Miss Tickle said:
Does it have to be semi skimmed milk? I only drink skimmed as semi makes me feel a bit sick. I love milk though.
Whats the longest time you can do it for?

Ive read in a book i got it should be semi skimmed because of the vitamins etc in it. I love milk as well cant see it been filling but can have soup thays got no bits in!

It says inthe book i have from the hospital its should be 7-14 days pre op but your surgeon will tell you how long for!

my surgeon gave me a diet sheet ,and it said clear soup am i being really thick but what is it .can you have cup soups and not eat bits

ruthw said:
my surgeon gave me a diet sheet ,and it said clear soup am i being really thick but what is it .can you have cup soups and not eat bits

Your not thick, i was thinking the same and was going to ask at my appointment next week. I got a book amd its says hearty soups pured as a meal and then as a snack you have a cup of soup but then at the bottom of the page it say clear soups! So i have no idea!!!!

Your not thick, i was thinking the same and was going to ask at my appointment next week. I got a book amd its says hearty soups pured as a meal and then as a snack you have a cup of soup but then at the bottom of the page it say clear soups! So i have no idea!!!!

Clear soups are the juice of the soup and no bits, I found it best too put the soups through a very fine sieve and just chuck the bits away. With regards too your pre op diet its a bit hard for e1 too recommend/advise as every provider is different, what one can have another cant and so forth. So its best too wait for your pre op diet sheet and take it from there. all the best - Julie xx

all hospitals are different, so it depends what one you are under.

I had to do 4 weeks of 4pts semi skim milk, 1 oxo and 1 sugarfree jelly(if really needed, I didn't) to lose the 5% and then again 2 weeks before op.

Thanks for the help! My surgeon has just said i need to lose weigh before the op but how i do it is up to me, he recommended slim fast because all the vitamins etc in there. Im just exploring other options! :)

Please don't think that the pre-op milk diet is to lose weight! It's not!

Your surgeon has asked you to lose weight sticking to a diet. The milk yoghurt diet is not a safe diet to just 'lose weight'. It's put there to intentionally shrink the liver and reduce body fat around the liver as well. It also improves post op recovery by reducing fatty triglycerides from around the liver and spleen, it can also reduce potential surgical bleeding.

Back