• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question...

What is the milk diet?
its a diet consisting of mostly milk, with some yogurt and sugar free jelly. It used from between one to four weeks before your op, to shrink your liver so that the surgeon has easy access, as otherwise its large and hard and in the way lol :) xxx

I've had my surgery already but could thi be something I could do?
i suppose you could for a while, but you're better off using slimfast or supermarket equivalent to make sure you get all your nutrients. Why do u want to do it?

I've tried everything else pre op I thought why not try this too lol I'm not losing much weight at the moment (I havnt had any fill in my band yet)

I've tried everything else pre op I thought why not try this too lol I'm not losing much weight at the moment (I havnt had any fill in my band yet)
yeah go for it then, it wont hurt :) if you look through the pre op section i.m sure you'll find some milk diets there, good luck :) xxx

Last edited:
Be careful as its radical! And not designed for losing weight but to shrink the liver. Should really only be done under medical supervision. If you're struggling with your diet/intake can you not speak with a nutrionist/nurse? You need long term fix not a quick hit x

Jo at luton and dunstable they make you to do the milk diet for up to 9 weeks to loose 5% of your body weight, show commitment at loosing weight and show you can maintain it before putting you forward for an op so I don't think its just to shrink the liver for the op

Jo, in all honesty i would say get yourself down to slimming world or weight watchers. The milk diet is one of the harshest diets known to man (or so i've heard). In reality it's not sustainable and it's imho not going to get you into the healthy eating habits sw or ww will....

Jo, in all honesty i would say get yourself down to slimming world or weight watchers. The milk diet is one of the harshest diets known to man (or so i've heard). In reality it's not sustainable and it's imho not going to get you into the healthy eating habits sw or ww will....

I agree, Although I've ad a bypass not band, we need to redress the problems we have with our relationship with food. The milk diet is used to shrink the liver pre op and is really only another Fad diet. Its not sustainable and to make your tool work effectively you need to get your head round your demons and make changes.

The fact you don't have appointment for a couple of months shouldn't be an issue...if you having problems contact your team ...thats what they are there for...to help you get the best from your band.

Slimming world, weight watchers, Rosemary conley and of those type of supported networks are ideal for you...you just have to find the one that you can work with.

Good luck:)

I'd probably go with something like the low carb/cal diet instead.

Not everyone on WLS uses the milk diet, I'm guessing you didn't yourself? Although, like posted you shouldn't try to maintain weight loss with these.

Back