• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery in Brno, 2 weeks to go!

Iamtasha

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am having gastric sleeve surgery in Brno at the Surgal clinic on the 26th of July. I am really looking forward to it, my mum had a sleeve about 8 months ago here in the uk so I roughly know what to expect afterwards.

I have been told to take Omeprazole for 4 weeks prior to the surgery, has anyone else been told to do this?

The only part of the whole procedure that worries me is the endoscopy beforehand. I have read on these forums a lot of people who have said it wasn't great.

If anyone has had any similar experience or surgery in Brno please let me know!

Hi. Welcome. I had my sleeve in Brno 4 weeks tomoro. I'm doing ok. I've lost almost 10 kg from surgery day. The staff are excellent. It's all first class treatment. I won't lie to you the endoscopy was the worst. I still feel sick just thinking about it. Take a book to read as you will get bored of watching CNN. good luck. There are a couple of girls who have had it done in Brno. I'm sure they will share their experiences as well.

Hi sunshine,

Thanks for your reply, 10kg in 4 weeks is fantastic!

Did you have any sedation before your endoscopy? I have asked if I can have sedation but apparently they aren't keen as they want to give you the general anasthetic later the same day.

Also, did you have a catheter afterwards? They have said sometimes they do give people catheters but I don't fancy that!

Hi there I had my surgery at surgal a week before sunshine, I've lost 1st 12lb's since surgery. The endoscopy wasn't pleasant but its over really quickly, and I didn't have any throat pain from it. As sunshine said the staff were excellent, especially the intensive care nurses, they looked after me so well as I was coming around from the anaesthetic. All three of us who had surgery the same day woke up from the surgery with a catheter already in, but it was fine, had no discomfort with it at all. Good luck :)

Hi Eliza,

Congrats on your fantastic loss! I can't wait to be on the other side!

I take it you didn't have any sedation with your endoscopy? I feel like I should man up and put up with it, like you said, it's over quickly. I really hate being sick and I know I will retch uncontrollably trying to get it down!

Other than the endoscopy I'm not too worried about anything else. Did you feel ok on the flight back?

The endoscopy is over in a short time. Everything moves really quick on that day. I had a catheter when I woke up as well. It was not bad and not that uncomfortable at all. The staff are really great. To be a bit disgusting I was actually on my period and I kept changing my pad because I could not move that well. The nurses in intensive care were asking me if I wanted them to change my tampon - which I declined but they even had the tampons ready if I wanted them.

Poor you sunshine, that must have been very uncomfortable for you, but wow, I can't imagine our NHS staff offering to do that for you! Thankfully I have been on the depo injection for the last 10 years and haven't had a period in that time so it would be incredibly unfortunate to have one then!

Were you told to take Omeprazole before your op? The company I have booked with told me to take it for four weeks beforehand as standard to calm my stomach, even though I have never had any problems or inflammation before. I don't know whether it is worth it or just a waste of time!

I would take the Omeprazole just to be on the safe side as if you have any kind of acid reflux they won't do the surgery, thats what they're cheking for with the endoscopy, you'll get something similar to take afterwards as well x

Ah, thanks Eliza, that makes sense.

Why can't they do the endoscopy when you're under general and abandon the surgery if necessary? Can you tell I'm worrying about it! :(

Hi. Yes I had to take it and they will also give you 5 weeks of them after op. I have never had any gastro problems but still had to take them. You will be fine. :)

Hi again ladies,

One week today and I will be getting on that flight! My question is, what did you have to eat on the day you flew? I am on the slim fast etc diet to shrink my liver and I wondered what is liver shrinking friendly that you can have at the airport?

Hi. I continued with my milk diet but when I got there I was given potatoes, peas, asparagus for dinner. They said you can drink as much as you want till midnight on the Monday. Some advice. Set your alarm for 4 am so you can take a shower because when they come it at 5 am there will be no time for a shower and again they won't let you have a shower the following day.

Thanks sunshine,

I surprised they give you a good meal!

How are you doing at point after surgery?
Am good thanks. No pain. Well just a bit of discomfort sometimes when I turn in bed where the big insision is. Still only managing a couple of spoons at a time. I'm trying to drink as much as u can but still not had much as the 2l recommend. I'm 5 weeks post op today. Have lost 12 kg or 1.88stone. Am happy. I am now starting on my walks although I can't do my Zumba yet until 10 weeks post op. Next week this time you will be going to theatre

Hi ladies,

Just to let you know I am know out on the other side!

Everything was fine once the endoscopy was done (definitely the worst part) and right now I'm just chillaxing with my drip and my pain killers! Very little to complain about at this point, only a bit of pain on turning really.

Woooo!

Hello and we'll done to you!
Rest up and start enjoying the thin life!!:)

Excellent news :) enjoy the painkillers ;)

That's great news. Get plenty of rest. When you are feeling better you can take a walk in the garden across the main road. It's so clean, no dog poo. Or the garden on the roof. :)

Hello,
And, :0clapper:

Enjoy your journey.

Toni:rainbow:

Back