• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Quick update on why i had surgery on Monday.

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all i just wanted to first thank Gaelic girl aka Allie for starting the post when i was in hospital and ty to each and everyone of u who posted and it was so nice to know others were thinking of me.

Well a quick update, the reason i went to see the surgeon last Thursday as my doc and i both believed i had a large hernia in my tummy and it was growing on a weekly basis, i gained 10lbs in a few days and went up a size and had a proper pregnant belly, i called it my alien belly :)
As well as this for the past 5/6 weeks i have had pain in my left side which has got worse and worse and last week got un bearable.

So i saw one of my team on Thursday as an emergency app and was told my alien was def not a hernia but "fat distribution" well that seriously shocked me and also Caroline 1061 who kindly gave up her day to come with me for moral support (ty hun for that) anyway we both said that is not poss as it was growing and also i had some other symptoms and they were.

1) serious left side abdo pain
2)nausea
3)cramps
4)swollen belly
5)serious loud rumbling in my bowel and not my pouch
6) pain after eating and drinking

So he booked me in for an urgent ct scan but also said he has a feeling he would see me in the next 48 hrs at the Whittington casualty dept.
I decided to revert back to liquids for a week so i could tell the surgeon if it was just food or food and liquids that were causing the probs.
On Friday night i felt rough i was sick and the pains were really bad, come sat morning i just had 1/4 protein shake and the pain was horrendous, so i called Gaelic girl aka Allie and she insisted i went straight to casualty, so off i went to the Whitt.
When i was seen one of the gi team diagnosed i had Diverticulitis which is a common digestive disease particularly found in the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon.
He told me that nothing happens over the weekend and its best if i come back on Monday for the urgent CT scan but he was worried that i had pain when eating and drinking, he gave me some water and then saw the amount of pain i was in after just 2 sips, he then said he needs to admit me and this is not right.
So i was admitted and put on meds and told i would have a ct scan, but that showed nothing, then was put on nil by mouth for 24 hrs and told i have to have an endoscopy and laparoscopy as often they cant see properly with a ct scan. The surgeon also listened to my bowel/tummy and heard the loud grumbling noise which he said is not right.

So about 10.30 pm on Sunday i was taken down to surgery and came back up to the ward about 3.30 am Monday, slept till 6.30 got up felt good all the symptoms i thought had gone and decided i was ready to go home that morning :)
The surgical team came to see me and said they dont usaully discharge patients the same day but as i looked so well it would be fine, then Mr heath my surgeon came along and said the same thing.
I asked him what he found and he said part of my bowel had pushed itself out of place and also he found this massive space "like an underground carpark" and he is not sure why its there as he could not see to the end of it but what he did is close it up to make sure nothing goes in there that should not be there.
So off i went home and felt really good no pain as still had the anaesthetic in my body. Come Tuesday morning i started to have all the symptoms back again in full force and they just got worse and worse till last night where i was retching all night and in so much pain. This morning i got an emergency app with my doc who straight away after examining me diagnosed Diverticulitis and said the hospital must of made an error by not sending me home with any antibiotics hence it has got worse.
So as of this morning am now on 6 antibiotics a day, strong pain meds which just take the edge of the pain and have mega pain all day especially when i try to drink or eat :cry:

One good thing is that lost the 10lbs, and my alien belly " the so called fat distribution " the surgeon diagnosed initially has gone down by over 50% since my surgery.

Well that is my excitement for the past week, ty again to all of u for all ur posts, am sorry i have not been online to post b4 today but even now i am in so much pain i dont know what to do with myself, hoping in the next 72 hrs the antibiotics would of kicked in big time and the pain goes as this is truly un bearable even for me and i have a high pain threshold.

Off to lie down now as feel sick, take care and ty xxx

Last edited:
o gosh hun you ve been threw a rough old time!! i hope these tablets kick in soon and your feeling more like yourself and painfree...... i wonder what that space is??... very bizarre hey, are they going to do further investigations or will they just see how you get on with the tablets?...... wishing you a speedy recovery xxx

You really have had a rough time.

Hope you feel better soon, though I have to admit I would have thought if it was antibiotics you needed they would be working by now.

Get loads of rest and take care

xxxx

Hope you will get stronger now and soon be able to get back to being yourself... you've gone through a lot there love....
Thinking of you and sending hugs xxx

I hope you feel better soon Roch

Roche we missed you and are glad you are on the road to recovery. Take some time and look after yourself xx

Oh you poor thing! Youve really had a tough time. I hope the anti biotics kick in soon and you can get back to normal :D X (HUGS) X

So sorry you're going through such a rough time - thank you for bringing us up to date ! You must know we're all routing for your speedy recovery and an end to your pain. Take care xx

Awww Im sorry about all of this suffering.
My mum has diverticular disease and can suffer incredible pain with it at times, I feel really bad for her because she has a sliding hiatus hernia, IBS and diverticular disease, she has to be very careful with food and has medications to deal with the IBS and hernia.
Her literature does say that if you take Asphilus Husk pill (stool softener) it can ease the pain.
I hope that your suffering is as bearable as possible xx
Steph xx

OMG what a horrendous time you've had!! I really hope you start to feel better soon hun, xx

Crikey hun you have been through it haven't you!
Lets hope that you're on the other side of it all and things start getting better for you now. x

Hoping you are feeling better today, sending love and hugs xxx

Hope you feel better soon. Sorry it's not been plain sailing for you. I always feel a bit guilty that I've had such an easy ride when there are so many that have had it tough, it just shows how different our bodies are.

Back