• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rant

wobbles

Hi guys, i know i'm not around much these days and i've not been particularly good at supporting others, for that i'm sorry. I think i just needed a break from the tension that was arising.

But i'm stuck!!
I've lost 7 stone in 6 months, and for the last few weeks, i haven't been able to shift any weight.

I know i'm returning to old eating habits, not in the take aways or fatty foods, but in the fact that i barely eat once a day, have not been consistent with eating 3 meals per day and maintaining high levels of protein. I'm really really struggling with that. I don't know what's wrong with me, i know why i used to use food and ended up the weight i was, but why can't i seem to get my head around eating 3 meals per day, 3 low fat, low sugar, high protein meals per day?

Yes i have a 21 month old who keeps me very busy, and rarely allows me to eat anything without climbing all over me, and never lets me cook anything without screaming and wanting to be picked up so he can 'help'. But still, other people manage it, why can't i?

I'm flying to Australia in 10 days and i was hoping to lose a few more pounds, simply to be more comfortable in the plane seat, but i can't seem to shift any weight at all. I'm happy i've not gained any weight, but why won't some come off?

I went shopping yesterday though and bought some new clothes and think i look bloody hot in them LOL i'm starting to find my own style. I've never spent any time at all on clothes, have always worn what was comfortable, and hid all the rolls of fat. And slowly i'm finding what i like and don't like, what looks good on me and what doesn't, and what jewellery to accessorise with.

I even bought some make up for the first time in my life and am going to teach myself how to use it. Over all, i'm happy with the amount of weight i've lost, but i still have 4 stone to lose, and while i'm not in a hurry to lose it all straight away, to shift a few pounds would be nice to keep me going.

I've become obsessed with weighing myself again. I do it every single day, sometimes twice per day. As much as i tell myself not to do it, or move and hide the scales, i still do it. Arrgghh!!

Sorry, i just needed to get it off my chest. For the first time in my adult life, i'm below 100 kg's, and have lost nearly 50 kgs, so that's amazing in itself. But to shift a few more pounds before getting on the plane would make me very very happy.

At work at the moment wobbles so can't really reply but bif huggs xxx

Hiya hun! So glad to hear from you! 7 Stone is fantastic!!! I am so chuffed for you. It is so special to hear about you new found style, that is brilliant. You had a rough road in the beginning but you have made the most of your first six months, well done!

You know what you need to do to shift some pounds, you need more calories per day!!! If low-fat, low-sugar is drving you not to eat compromise. Have some higher fat items or test your sugar limits a bit. I don't know if you have found your dumping point but you can test the limits. Before anyone thinks I've gone mad since I am an advocate of changing your lifestyle completely, hear me out. Wobbles, you need to make yourself eat more calories or this stall will never end. If eating more indulgent food for a short time will get your mind into 3 meals per day then it is worth it. Get the routine started and then bring your food choices back down to the healtiest kind.

Hope you have a lovely trip home and have much success in your next 6 months.

Nic:D

Thank you so much Nic. I don't know what i would do without you.

Here is where i'm confused. What's the difference between calories and fat? And how many calories per serving should i be aiming for? as i tend to focus on fat and sugar.
What will increasing my calorie intake do?

I guess i have it in my head that the more fat and sugar i have, the less weight i'm going to lose. So i overcompensate by not eating at all, which of course stops the weight loss also.

I don't dump easily, i've only dumped once and that was a few weeks after surgery when i had a home made milkshake. I used low fat ice cream, but forgot about the sugar content. Haven't had a milkshake since, but i can eat fairly large amounts of fat without dumping, and sugar, well i tend to stick to low sugar anyway.

God i need someone to come and see me everyday, do a meal plan, look after Connor while i cook, take me out exercising and basically hold my stupid hand through it all. I'm so crap!!

I think in such black and white terms, there's no healthy middle ground with me and so it's either over eat and become huge, or don't eat at all. Someone literally please come and kick me in the bum?

Here's something for you Nic, would you be interested, along with maybe Shel if she's interested, in getting together and writing a meal plan/recipe book/eating plan for post bypassers who are struggling like me? I think you two could make a hell of a lot money out of it.

Let's break this down for you:

1. What's the difference between calories and fat?

calories defined: A unit of energy-producing potential equal to this amount of heat that is contained in food and released upon oxidation by the body. Calories are the overall energy you gain from food.

fat defined: Fats, or lipids, are nutrients in food that the body uses to build nerve tissue (like the brain) and hormones. The body also uses fat as fuel. If fats that a person has eaten aren't burned as energy or used as building blocks, they are stored by the body in fat cells. This is the body's way of thinking ahead: By saving fat for future use, it plans for times when food might be scarce. That is why we limit it so that we can decrease our fat stores not increase them.

Basically if your calorie intake is too low, your metabolism slows way down and conserves the food stores (fat & carbs). You must have calories to live, you can live without fat but shouldn't really. You need some good fats to run your body.

2. And how many calories per serving should i be aiming for?

At your stage, 6 months post-op you should be at 200-300 calories per meal. Which should be made up of 50% lean protein (eggs, poulty, fish) 25% fruit & veg (low carbs ones) and 12.5% complex carbs (higher carb fruit, veg, grains, legumes) & 12.5% good fats, amino acids (dairy, red meat, nuts).

3. What will increasing my calorie intake do?

It will 'wake up' your metabolism and make you start burning your fat stores (dropping pounds & inches).

4. Here's something for you Nic, would you be interested, along with maybe Shel if she's interested, in getting together and writing a meal plan/recipe book/eating plan for post bypassers who are struggling like me? I think you two could make a hell of a lot money out of it.

Have actually thought about it, we really could use a British guide to bypass but not sure I am the one to write it, I would think someone years post-op would be more qualified.

HTH,
Nic

Wow, you are doing so well Wobbles. Hope Phat girls advice helps you knock off the rest of the excess weight.

Hi Wobbles, I know how you feel its ok, Im only a few weeks post op but also stopped loosing 4 last 2 weeks and this makes sense, Nic, could this be my problem, too few calories, never considered that a problem, Im not having 500 a day I dont think-what do I do?
Great weight loss and the book is a fab idea!
Keep smiling and remember ur great success so far xxxxxx

hi wobbles, sorry can't be of much help as I'm for band. Just wanted to wish you luck in getting back on track. I'm sure I've read about bypass's doing a pouch test so don't know if that would help. I'm sure the advice you've already received from phatgirl will be a great asset to you. Good luck xx Gaynor xx

Hi Wobbles, I know how you feel its ok, Im only a few weeks post op but also stopped loosing 4 last 2 weeks and this makes sense, Nic, could this be my problem, too few calories, never considered that a problem, Im not having 500 a day I dont think-what do I do?
Great weight loss and the book is a fab idea!
Keep smiling and remember ur great success so far xxxxxx

Have answered your pm, but yes hun too few calories will give you a stall because your body think it is starving so it stores any fat you eat and conserves energy. Have you been very tired? It is also a sign that your calorie intake is too low.

Nic;)

Back