• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

really worried about my liver shrinkage

masher

hi guys i cant get it out of my head that my liver wont have shrunk & they wont do the op
i met with surgeon on 7th nov and weighed an imbarrising 31st 8lbs so reduced food and went on diet , have been on diet 800-1000 cals since 1st jan , got weighed last week @29st 3 lbs , have 3 weeks 4 days to go but worried that coz liver was prob big in 1st place as i was so huge that the weight lose wont be enough

Hello , as long as u stick to what the providers have asked of you I cannot see any reason why your liver hasn't shrunk. Wishing you all the best xx

HI,
Well done on the weight loss that is fantastic. I was told that if you stick to the diet your liver will definately shrink. I know its hard but keep going you are doing amazingly well.
Best wishes,
Lyndsey x

Firstly you are doing amazingly well. Secondly, it's carbs that make your liver big, if you cut them out it shrinks, simple! Thats why they put you on a low carb diet. Good luck xx

i love this thread!!! and can answer this one! ha.....

your mind is going into over drive as this op is the most important life saving device you could ever wish for! your dreams are gonna come true finally as you can see that there is light at the end of a very long tunnel and proberly whats been verrrrrry long wait for your op its finally in sight... and the start of a new healthy you is so within reach...

so of course somethings gonna happen right, to stop your op! because thats just your luck?... nothing ever goods gonna happen because its you... im only second guessing here of course but your post was just like mine 10 months ago!!.... let me reassure you... i said this to my surgeon and his respponse...

if you have stuck to the diet sheet ive given you, there is no problem... those few lil old words hey, for the fate on our ops...... the surgeon can gather from someones size and bmi what state there liver is in... he will know that you ve stuck to your diet and also the liver takes on a pale milky colour ( i know who d have thought it d gone milky!) :) so if it hasnt gone dramatically smaller he can tell by the colour you ve stuck to the diet...it doesnt need to shrink to a walnut! just small enough so he can work safely...

if for one second he thought actually ill put you on the milk diet but i reallly dont think it ll shrink your liver enough for the op, he d have said sweets...

your becoming panicky and worried because you ve ate slept breathed wrapped and unwrapped the day your getting your op...

listen to me, stick to the diet dont break it.... calm down abit... and noone is going to take this op from you! its the prize for a very hard long journey you ve taken... bit like climbing everest get this last hurdle out of the way and all will be fine and all your hard work will pay up, when you wake up from your op with a new pouchy!! :)

i wish you all the best and if you feel like you need reassurance again!! come find me :) xxxxxxxx

Hi hun congrats on ur weight loss so far ur doin great stick wiv the pre op n ull be fine x

I was really worried too. My liver shrink diet didn't seem anywhere near as restrictive as other peoples. Guess where I am masher? Sitting up in bed watching the Thames flow by outside the hospital Window after having had my surgery via key hole yesterday afternoon xx you will be fine!

Sent via telephonic magic!

Firstly hun don't be embarassed about your weight. It's the last time you will ever see those numbers on the scales. It's downwards from here.
If you look at me previous threads I had the exact same panic last week before my op. I wasn't losing any weight and convinced myself I would be sewn back up because of a fat liver and sent on my way!
It didn't happen though. I'm all bypassed and home on the sofa half a stone down in a week!
Like Cherry so eloquently put it above, we look for barriers and problems at the final hurdle because we're so used to jumping through hoops and waiting.. it's hard to believe the op is almost here and we panic.
Just keep breathing and stick to the diet sheets you have. Believe me and the rest of the forum.. you'll be fine.
Good luck and well done you!!
xx

hi guys i cant get it out of my head that my liver wont have shrunk & they wont do the op
i met with surgeon on 7th nov and weighed an imbarrising 31st 8lbs so reduced food and went on diet , have been on diet 800-1000 cals since 1st jan , got weighed last week @29st 3 lbs , have 3 weeks 4 days to go but worried that coz liver was prob big in 1st place as i was so huge that the weight lose wont be enough

This was my biggest worry pre op so I feel your pain. If you have followed the diet given you by the surgical team you will have nothing to worry about.

The size of your liver isn't proportional to your weight so unless you have been a heavy drinker up until recently then the two week shrinkage diet is usually enough to give them the room they need

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job so try to relax and it will be fine, trust me xxx

I stuck to my pre op diet, never had any carbs, lost a stone and my liver was still too hard to do the operation, sorry to say but there is no guarantees, :( xx

What i don't understand is this....
We have all the tests to make sure we are ok for the op, why can they not scan our liver just before the op to save
being cut pen and sewn back up ?????????????
Im worried about my liver and i have almost lost 6 stone pre op !!!!!!! have even done an extra week to make sure, think everyone of us have been worried about this last hurdle hun so your normal xxxxx

All the liver shrinking diets out there aim for the same outcome, to reduce the glycogen stores in the liver. By reducing the glycogen and a little water the liver becomes smaller, so if the diet is followed theres no reason why it wont shrink.
Kim

Hi there!
As long as you stick to it 100% with NO CHEATING or deviating from it during the specified time you should be ok!!
Good luck & let us know how you get on!!
Sarah xx

Back