• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

really worried pre op

Fizzypeach

I have my surgery on the 21 April. I am really worried that I will have the surgery and not lose weight.

Now I eat a large meal in the evening (poss 1000 cals, say perhaps 2 large lamb chops, 12 oz potatoes, pile of veg) I don't eat at lunch time during the week (perhaps a cuppa soup) and average breakfast is a coffee, fruit juice, yoghurt or smoked mackerel fillet. I perhaps eat 2 bars of chocolate a week and a glass of high juice squash each night, poss 1 bag crisps a week. I take no exercise.

Will I eat less when I am by passed and lose weight, I am terrified I won't!

Help please!!

Fizzy xx

:cry:

There is no way that you will be able to stuff so much in your gob in one sitting post-op. Well, not without it reappearing...:eek:

You will need to spread your meals out a bit so you get regular protein etc. Don't worry, it's a bit different but you will soon get used to it.

Wouldn't worry too much Fizzy I was a volume eater and could easily polish off the sort of dinner you have just described and probably fit in a pud too!
This morning I had 1/2 a ww yoghurt for my breaskfast and felt full, lunch I've just finished (well not finished) a very small portion of mashed potato, carrot and swede with a sprinkle of cheese and a drop of gravy.
You will be amazed at how quickly you feel full afterwards and on the little you can manage to get in if you follow all the rules and advice given you can't not lose weight :)
Good luck with the op

Gee thanks John and Tarara, I was really worried that I would go through the op and then it not make any difference. You have put my minod at rest.

Thanks

Fizzy

I have my surgery on the 21 April. I am really worried that I will have the surgery and not lose weight.

Now I eat a large meal in the evening (poss 1000 cals, say perhaps 2 large lamb chops, 12 oz potatoes, pile of veg) I don't eat at lunch time during the week (perhaps a cuppa soup) and average breakfast is a coffee, fruit juice, yoghurt or smoked mackerel fillet. I perhaps eat 2 bars of chocolate a week and a glass of high juice squash each night, poss 1 bag crisps a week. I take no exercise.

Will I eat less when I am by passed and lose weight, I am terrified I won't!

Help please!!

Fizzy xx

:cry:
hi Fizzy i am officialy 7 days post op today and could easily eat the same as you BEFORE.
I cant say i have actually felt true hunger since the op last week was just liquids but today it has taken 3 sittings to eat 1 muller light youg!!
on
8th march i was 145kg
15th march 143kg
22nd march 130kg
it is true that you just physically cant eat anywhere near what you do before nor do you actually want it
hope this helps

Hi fizzy
Rest assured you won't be capable of eating what you do now! The pre-op diet is a good starting point cos your body gets used to not having 'food' just liquids. Then after the op your stomach is swollen so eating is the last thing on your mind! As the swelling goes down you will start to feel proper hunger pangs but there is no way you could stuff your face with what you used to eat. Don't worry - you WILL lose weight! I had my op on 4 Feb at St Richards and have lost 3 stone so far. The biggest obstacle I found was feeling hungry or thirsty and not physically being able to stuff food or guzzle drink down my throat! Once you get your brain into gear, its plain sailing. Good luck!

awch God bless you!
Like all the other people have said - the whole idea is that your body is almost 'redesigned' in the way it recieves and holds food. So im sure you would eat a lot less. Once you get it done and you see your weight dropping off, and you feel satiated on the little food that you eat - you will feel amazing. Like Glenville says - its all about getting your head in gear and the rest will follow. I think what will happen is that you will draw from the whole mantra that this site stands for - you eat to live, you dont live to eat anymore. :)

im sure you will do amazing,
all the best!

Thank you to everyone who has been kind enough to answer my query. You have all put my mind at rest. Hopefully I will sleep tonight

I was getting quite worried about it and anxious. So thank you again

Fizzy xx

Hi Fizzy,

The fears you are having are perfectly normal, but let me reassure you that even at nearly 7 months post op there is no way in the world that I could eat the dinner you have described (and I could have done that and then some when I was pre op - no sweat) Honestly, I would struggle to manage even one lamb chop now. You will never be able to eat in the portion sizes you could before.

Hi Fizzy,

My op is on friday and the one thing I'm not worried about is eating as much as I have done in the past. I'm sure there is absolutely no way you'd be able to eat that much in a day after. The stomach will be reduced to the size of a small tangerine and you'll only be able to take a few spoons at a time at the beginning.

Don't panic :)

I hope you are all right - and I am sure you are! Isn't it silly that the closer you get to the operation the more you start to worry about all sorts of things. I expect now that I have the anwser to this I shall start to worry about something else.

Thanks agaion - you are all wonderful....I slept well last night!

Fizzzy x

Back