• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reckon its ok to swap pre-op diets?

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO

Hi all,
My hospital gives a choice of 5 pre-op diets to be followed for a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 6. I only had 3 weeks notice of my op date so started straight away but was already on a 'normal' diet beforehand if you know what I mean.
I chose the slimfast option as I thought it would take the fuss out of weighing, measuring and choosing what to eat. Well yep, it does that but after over a week of 3 slimfasts a day and nothing else I am desperate to eat real food.
Do you reckon it matters if I swap to one of the 2 'food but in small portions' options? All 5 diets are based on 800-1000 cals a day so calorie wise not any different!
I will probably decide to stick to slimfast anyway after deliberating it....I'm so fickle but so anxious to do everything completly by the rules!
Help!!

Hi Leanne
Not sure that swapping would do any harm especially if you have been given a choice by your hospital. I never did the milk diet i followed a low carb low fat diet and was only on it for two weeks pre op ( all on the advice of my surgeon) and my liver had shrunk so all should be fine xx

Thanks Allie, I can't see why it should matter really either but just after a bit of reassurance!!
I even asked them if they recommended one of the 5 over the others but she just said 'do whichever one you think you can manage the best'.
I have read on here that carbs go straight to your liver but slimfast is rather carb heavy with between 25-35g of carbs a portion.
Also one of the diets given is just to calorie count 800-1000 cals a day of food of your choice. I guess that even if you ate 1000 calories a day of pure carbs, which would be difficult then its still low calorie enough to deplete the liver of its stores.
I think I am overthinking this a little....lol
This surgery is making me a little unstable and I haven't even had it yet! Hahaha
xx

I hated my liver shrinking diet so I didn't follow it and just followed my own low fat, low carb, high protein diet instead. But I didn't have much of a fatty liver to begin with anyway according to the pre op blood tests.

I would have porridge for breakfast, carrot and celery sticks for snacks, chicken salad with no dressing for lunch or I'd swap it for a protein shake rather than a slim fast and some meat and veggies for tea.

Thanks Jaxx.
I have no idea if my liver is fatty or not!
I have my pre-op on tuesday but dunno how long it is till I will find out blood test results.
I think I will swap to the low carb, low cal one prescribed by my hospital before slimfast drives me into insanity!
xx

Leanne, i followed the slimfast but like you i was craving something savoury or real food. A couple of times i swapped a slimfast for either a tin of veg soup or just some chicken without skin and the dietician said this was fine :) x

lol Leanne i think we have all gone a little "unstable" especially on our pre op stage its that fear of not doing enough to shrink our livers. All will be fine go with the low fat low carb, i'm sure i still have a copy of my pre op diet sheet if you wanted a look at it i could email it to you xx

Back