• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Introducing Emily.

shelleymarie said:
I completely understand. I was exactly the same and had to have a carer. I got to a bmi of 69, not able to walk and everything else that went with it. The most my doctor would do is give me a hypnosis tape. My latest GP is very supportive though, so I hope Emily can find a one who is there for her x

Thank you, I appreciate your understanding.

Anna x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yvessa said:
Sometimes I manage to forget how many judgmental people there are on here! Emily, I wish you the best of luck in finding a GP who will give you a referral as the only people qualified to judge your suitability are the mdt who will assess your case and suitability for surgery. Whatever choice you make don't give up hope.

Good luck!

I love you!

The best way to deal with those kind of narrow minded planks is to ignore them.

xx

borogirl said:
As a parent, it is difficult to know when to make the right decision however I think you are right to get this sorted for your daughter now. Why wait another 5 - 10 years when further health and mental health issues have kicked in. Surgery is a risk, but doing nothing is more of a risk.
Julesburns - this mother is trying to fix something for her daughter - not the NHS or the world. BACK OFF.

xxxxx.

My closing thoughts on tonight;

Never judge people until you have walked a mile in their shoes

Night xx.

Has Emily joined the forum if so what is her name?? would be nice to say hello in person (so to speak). xxx Gnight xxx

Jules, don't alter someone else's motivation, it's not fair and quite frankly the work of a cretin. This forum is a supportive one, one which I could not do without! Full of really helpful people. Please don't mix politics with the good vibe found here.

'Nuff said'

Cretin. Thanks

Jules you appear to be jumping around the posts on this forum spoiling for an argument. On a separate post you started earlier you have just apologised for doing exactly what you've been doing on this post so don't be too surprised if people start calling you names.

On a cheerier note, Cicca good luck to you and your daughter I hope she gets the help she needs...whatever that may be.

Due to a family bereavement this week I am unhappy with the way the Nhs is currently working. I apologise for causing any upset or hurt with my opinion.

I do think however that it is pretty harsh to name call people on this forum because of their personal opinion. Being called a narrow minded plank and a cretin is pretty rude considering my opinion was on NHS spending etc.

to the original poster- I am sorry that your daughter was not taken seriously by your gp and hope that you get the result you were hoping for. It was never my intention to upset you, more to tell you there are other options if your unsuccessful with your GP so I am very sorry if I upset you. Julia

Last edited:
Hi Cicca

I think you will agree I have probably walked a million miles in your daughters shoes and everyone elses being 417lbs at my heaviest so I hope you will not mind me commenting. In the interest of complete honesty I will say straight up front that I do not agree with any 17 year old having the surgery and have said so on threads before simply because the 'tried everything' statement is just not applicable I feel at that age. However it is her decision if she wishes to try and I have no argument with that.

My advice is do not go with her into the appointment. The reason being is that you are wanting to promote to the GP that she has the capacity to make the decision herself and this factor will be key to the GP and in medico-legal terms at age 16 they are adults. I know some people like someone there so they understand what is happening and take partner/friend but in this case where age will be a marker for the GP she needs to be seen to speak for herself in the first instance. It will strengthen her case as it will be a real issue throughout. Once she gets the ball rolling then is the time to take you in with her, e.g say if they refuse again then you are valid in joining her as a support to her arguments.

Good luck

M

No, I did not call you a cretin directly, I just said that its the work of one. I am sorry to hear about your loss. I apologize if I have offended you. Just give the poor girl a break, I am a father of 2 daughters and I would do anything to let them live a healthy life, even if it means surgery when they are older, I must admit, we are teaching them about nutrition early, something I never had.
You must realize, the lady must be at her wits end watching her daughter go through this, just lighten up :)

CCPM said:
Hi Cicca

I think you will agree I have probably walked a million miles in your daughters shoes and everyone elses being 417lbs at my heaviest so I hope you will not mind me commenting. In the interest of complete honesty I will say straight up front that I do not agree with any 17 year old having the surgery and have said so on threads before simply because the 'tried everything' statement is just not applicable I feel at that age. However it is her decision if she wishes to try and I have no argument with that.

My advice is do not go with her into the appointment. The reason being is that you are wanting to promote to the GP that she has the capacity to make the decision herself and this factor will be key to the GP and in medico-legal terms at age 16 they are adults. I know some people like someone there so they understand what is happening and take partner/friend but in this case where age will be a marker for the GP she needs to be seen to speak for herself in the first instance. It will strengthen her case as it will be a real issue throughout. Once she gets the ball rolling then is the time to take you in with her, e.g say if they refuse again then you are valid in joining her as a support to her arguments.

Good luck

M

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't want to go with her to the GP, I've had a life time of this condition. My heaviest was 425lbs currently 166, the surgery saved my life. Then if you'll pardon the pun the icing on the cake was that I actually began to like myself, get a career and blend in with this wicked society that judges people on looks rather than what's in the heart.

I went because Emily begged me to, she's shy and apart from going to 6th form won't go out. She hides herself away so people can't see her. This makes things worse and trust me when I said I've tried to motivated her, I've worked with her to try to change things. Input verses output - she needs to be physically active to consume what goes in. I'm not going to justify myself to anyone, I posted because I wanted the positive people to send me some moral support. It's hard, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

As for paying or not paying, I work and have worked since I was 16, eventually Emily will work and pay her debt back to society. If we can we will pay but our 1st stop was to get the GP to help her realise she needs help. Emily doesn't post on here, she is in denial and while that is the case places like this intimidate her.

Thank you everyone for the responses, sincerely from the bottom of my heart love the people on this forum.

Anna xx

Anna,

I can't really add anything to the discussion but I think you have (both) been brave and I wish Emily all the best - I am sure that she has had a rough time (have been in her shoes) and the quicker a resolution is reached for her, the more enjoyable and amazing her life will become. I am sure that with your support she will blossom into a more wonderful young woman (as I have no doubt she is already wonderful)

xxx

Anna. I'm so so sorry for being negative about Emily. It wasn't you. You got the brunt of a day spent at an Nhs hospital where my nanna died and them telling us about funding cuts and not enough nursing staff etc to the point that they didnt realise my nan had died for several hours. However, it was not your fault and I'm terribly sorry.
I do wish Emily my best wishes, and I hope that her doctor helps her more than mine has helped me over the years. I had a similar problem. Whenever I went in depressed due to my size she told me to eat less and go to the gym. In the end I chose surgery myself without even asking the gp as I didn't see the point. There are good gp's out there though who are understanding and kind and willing to help without judgement. I wish you every happiness and I'm sorry again. Julia xx

Back