• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommendations for vitamins, protein drinks etc

miss_malone

Hi Guys,

I am having a bypass one month today (eek!) and am very conscious that I need to be prepared for post op dietary needs regards vitamins an protein.

I am getting my surgery privately in Prague so I don't have a surgical team here to help me with my questions and although I have done plenty f research and know WHT I have to consume - I was hoping some post oppers would have recommendations on what they buy regards vitamins an protein drinks.

FYI - I'm going to Prague because even though I more than meet guideline for NHS (BMI over 50), I live in Northern Ireland and non of the local health authorities here will fund any kind of weight loss surgery. So I had to go private and couldn't afford to get it done in UK.

Any other advise and recommendations would also

Thanks!

Not a post opper but in my info my hospital recommends Centrum Advance,Sanatogen A-Z Complete or Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys own brand A-Z Multivitamin and Mineral. Sorry doesn't say anything about protein shakes just the actual food that gives it

good advice above on the vitamins, although you should also be taking an iron supplement such as ferrous fumarate and a calcium/vit d supplement - I buy the asda version as I find asda tends to be the closest to the sanatogen.

As for protein shakes, I prefer the phd, but I actually found I lost much better without them. Adding powdered milk is often cheaper and tastes nicer - I think there is a risk of relying on these shakes. Having said that I can eat well and a reasonable amount so I can get all my protein from food, but I know many who can't.

Hi hune r u having it Same day as me? Did Doc h recomend the bypass op for you or Did you request it yourself? Not Long now hune. I was told centrum a-z and Read about fortifyng it with powdered milk powder to up the protein Also told unjury protein powder is good. You get it on the net. Hope that helps

I take Forceval multivits, you can ask for these at the pharmacy or get them on prescription. I believe calcium citrate is the best to take post bypass as more is absorbed than calcium carbonate etc. Vit D still important to help with absorption though!

Good luck with your journey!

Hi hune r u having it Same day as me? Did Doc h recomend the bypass op for you or Did you request it yourself? Not Long now hune. I was told centrum a-z and Read about fortifyng it with powdered milk powder to up the protein Also told unjury protein powder is good. You get it on the net. Hope that helps

Hiya!

Glad you are still going to be there when I am. Yes I am on 8th Jan.

I requested RNY - I'm a pound shy of 24 stone and just feel personally that it is the better option for me. I need the malabsorbtion and the threat of dumping!

I'll be flying into Prague from Stanstead on the Sunday evening. When do you arrive?

Thanks for the replies guys! Really helpful xoxo

Hi my doctor prescribes me centrum advance but i have to crush them as to big I mix with a little porridge to help it go down
My doc is great I get my vit d jab and on my blood tests said my calcium was very low so take chew ones there yuk

Yep am still going. flying ba from heathrow. Hubby insists I go business class for comfort on way back we fly into.prague in eve too on 6th for op on 8th. R u arriving on 6th? Am not too scared yet but start milk diet 26th dec then I will prob get a bit nervous then as it will be only 14 days to go eeek!

I took Sanatogen Complete A-z for the first 6 months as I couldn't manage forceval which are the best but I can now take them so that is good but most hospitals say that sanatogen or centrum is ok too take as long as you are taking the complete versions. I take calcium with vit d supplement too. Protein shake wise it is always better to get your protein from food but for extra protein boost, especially in the early days I recommend Reflex diet protein shakes, they are low sugar and the chocolate one tastes quite nice.

Back