• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recovering after Tummy Tuck on NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambi

Havent been on the site for a while now but im recovering from a TT last week on the NHS and thought i would come back to the site to let others who are interested know that YES it is possible to get a TT on NHS but it is also a lottery. I got it with astounding ease and think myself very lucky, after reading how many get turned down. I was (dress size 16/18) 14+ stone when overweight and was about 9 half stone to 10 stone when they agreed to do operation. (i am now a size 8/10) 9.5 when i had the operation after waiting about 6 months after my initial consultation. They told me my operation was agreed on - what your BMI was, and then had dropped to after weight loss. My surgeon also said, he knew most of my messy tummy was really caused through 3 children, (one being 9lb 1 half) but that as my weightloss was within guidelines on BMI for NHS surgury, and i had maintained weight for 6 months, i could have it done.

I am having dressings off tomorrow and i must admit to being very nervous as i havent seen anything much yet. If anyone is interested i will keep you posted, good or bad, but it really couldnt be much worse than what i had before, unless something goes drastically wrong, but fingers crossed.

jaxxy

Hi there,
i have tried three times to have a tummy tuck i went from 17 stone to eight stone 7 and my skin will not get any tighter my GP says there is no funding in the district of Glos what else can i do or say to make them change there minds!

Jaxxy..

bambi

So sad to hear you cant get it, you deserve it too. This system is a lottery and depends on which county you live in as to wether they have funding for the operation. I am in Norfolk as was icemoose who also got the op on NHS. We are luck and it shouldnt be that way. The only thing i will add is that my GP was not very helpful at first and said he didnt think it was done on NHS and he didnt know who to refer me too, but that if i found out he would refer me. I personally think that was a load of rubbish, but i found out who the plastic surgeon in the area was, and then went back and said this is who does it so please refer me now. So dont be put off by G.P, but if no funding is the only reason, then you cant do anything accept move house, which is no solution and mad.

doodles

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
Congratulations Bambi on your TT. I have lost 12 stone and went to see my dr in Aug. He told me that he thought it very unlikely that the pct would agree but would refer me anyway. I asked for both a TT and arm lift, as my arms get me down more than my tum. To my amazement the pct have agreed and I have an appt to see the consultant next Thursday!! I am so excited & so nervous, but cant believe my luck. I just hope all goes well next week with the consultant :confused:
I am very interested in how you got on , and would love to follow your progress. Please keep us updated......it concerns me that Icemoose said on his post that he wishes he had never had it done ( I am hoping its a man thing....and low pain threshold)!!!

Looking forward to your posts

Doodles x

bambi

Great News Doodles, im so pleased you have got past first few hurdles and in my experience if you get to see the surgeon then its normal that you will get operation. I know icemoose told me once in a telephone call when i asked for his opinion, as we came from same area, that he personally would not have it done again, but i do believe he had a few complications. I also know others who are over the moon they have had it done. I believe it all comes down to wether you have any complications and also your expectations. I dont know if i will agree with icemoose in the end, that it wasnt worth it all, or if i will be glad i went ahead, fingers crossed its the latter for me.

munkypooh

Warning-Contains Nuts
Hell for 3 months...cost £8000.....not perfect.....but worth it.
(I lost 7 stone at 20 years old after being overweight since childhood and knackering my skin)

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Lovely to see you again Bambi and well done on the TT.

Be sure to let us know how you get on in recovery.

You look fantastic in your signature photo!

Well done on the fantastic weight loss and for keeping it off.

Love Mini xxx

bambi

Had my dressings off yesterday. On the whole it is as i expected as i tried not to expect too much at first. I am still swollen and dont know how scars will fade and Belly Button will end up looking once everything has settled down. I am a little worried at the momment about the indented bit under my belly betton as i dont know why its there, it maybe where the skin has folded inward whilst my dressings covered it for 2 weeks, and that it will take time to flatten back out, but i am slightly worried about it, even though everyone says not to, as its early days. I think it is still going to be an improvement on the mess of a stomach i had before operation though. even if the indent doesnt go away, fingers crossed though it will smooth out. Maybe if others on this site have had a similar experience with indented area of skin, they could reasure me this is normal as i dont see the surgeon for 6 wks.

Anyway here are first photo's taken today - 1 day after dressings removed and 2 weeks since operation day on 3rd March.

I will try and take some at regular intervals if anyone is interested in the healing proccess and different stages.

doodles

Hi Bambi, I am really interested in seeing your pic, but cant find them! They are not on the thread or in the gallery.

Can I ask are you in much pain? Also do you have trouble standing straight?

Thanks Doodles x

bambi

tts5.jpg

tts2.jpg

tts4.jpg

Last edited:

bambi

Pain is bad straight after op for about a week but bearable, 2 weeks on im just more uncomfortable and nearly able to stand straight but not quite there yet.

As for question on having kids afterwards, i think they advice you to have a family first or you will just ruin it again.

doodles

Wow Bambi that looks fantastic, and I am sure will be worth the pain in the long run. Thanks so much for posting the pics, its great to see "real" people and not just the pics the clinics use online.

Wishing you a speedy recovery x

Looks good to me... I am 1 week post -op today but had a different type of abdominoplasty to you... my incisions are vertical and horizontal but beyond each hip and around to my back on both sides.

It's incredibly painful but I expected it to be as such and so am putting up with it. You look superb, I hope you are happy with it as the time progresses. :D

Well done on getting it done on the NHS, I did too but it was a struggle and I am trying to get them to do my inner thighs too (upon the recommendation of my surgeon).

Status
Not open for further replies.