• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Tummy Tuck in Norfolk

I have an exciting update. I had my consultation with the NHS plastic surgery team yesterday in Cambridge and they said yes!!!

After asking me a bunch of questions about how much weight I lost, how I did it, how long I kept it off for, do I smoke, drink, etc. They didn't ask about the psychological impact or past infections. I'm guessing my GP wrote all that to the PCT on my behalf and all the plastic surgeons were concerned about was seeing me in person before they could decide whether or not they can help me. They examined my tummy. (The part I was most nervous about - showing complete strangers the embarrassing disfigurement that upsets me the most).

But they were really nice. They made me feel at ease and told me that a tummy tuck can definitely improve my situation and that I fit all the criteria.

When I asked about the PCT and funding, it turned out they had already said ok to the funding before I got my consultation appointment. So all that fretting I've been doing for the past couple of months has been for nothing. All along I've been granted the fundung. :)

The surgeon also told me that new government guidelines mean that I will definitely be under the knife within 18 weeks of the date of my first consultation letter (no later).

So seems like I'll have it done by the end of this year. :D

I cannot even begin to explain how happy I am. I can just look down at my excess skin now and think 'you'll soon be gone!'

I know it's a post code lottery but for anyone else who has lost a large amount of weight and has been left with excess skin that is making them depressed, giving them infections, etc. please go see your GP. For years I struggled with this before plucking up the courage to push my embarrassment aside and show my problem to my GP. I guess I thought there was no chance of me getting the funding from the NHS.

Thanks to Minimins and people that have posted here about the subject, I'm now on the waiting list. TBH, I don't think I would've gone to my GP if it wasn't for this so hopefully the details of my NHS experience, added to those that have posted before me can help others in the same position.

I'll keep this message posted with updates.
xx

Thats great news, you would of thought they would of told you sooner to stop you worrying but at least its done now. Well done....I also think this site is brill I have learnt a lot and made some good mates on here....Linda x

Thanks Linda. Yeah I know. Would've been good to have known earlier but I'm just so relieved now that they've said yes. I kept worrying about how I'd handle a 'no'.

It is so unfair that some people struggle to get the funding. I wish everyone that needed it could get it.

The most depressing part is losing all that weight and still not being able to feel good about yourself. It makes it so tempting to comfort eat and stop exercising.

My infliction has made my life a misery for the past 10 yrs. I can't believe I am finally going to be able to wear the clothes I want and not feel like a freak of nature every time I undress.

I got my op date already! November 25th!!!! Can't believe it. I am so happy. :D

Thanks julesrush! :)

I'm having it done at Addenbrookes in Cambridge. My GP is in West Norfolk.

I can't believe that it was only Spring this year when I first went to my GP about it and I'm actually getting it done before the year is out. I honestly thought I'd have to fight for it and that it would probably take years. It's actually taken little over half a year from my first trip to the GP to the actual op!!!

The plastic surgeon did tell me at my first consultation that the government have now put new guidelines into place forcing hospitals to carry out surgery within 18 weeks from the date of the first appointment letter and if they don't they are ordered to pay hefty fines. They managed to fit me in within 14 weeks from the date of my first letter so I guess they are well very organised.

x

Back