• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Red 42 - Port correction...all done.

knowing THG they will probably expect payment but if they do then fight them on this as its there fault as its obviously not been stitched in securley during the op, where is your port located ?

the scar is on the botton of my breast bone, approx 1.5 inches long and the port itself is as I look down, just on the right end of that scar.

I really don't know what to think...I certainly can't afford to pay for them to correct this problem. I was told at my consultation that they stitched the port into the muscle so they couldn't move :confused:

Hi Red,

I hope you get this sorted out, I know it must be a big disapointment for you. Don't let them bully you over the charges for this either...I don't know much about banding but like Liz and others have said it was their responsibility to put it in so it does not slip.

Good luck hun...chin up.

{hugs}

Aw thats awful for you, you must feel gutted:confused:

I was earlier...the bottom lip started to dother but I bit it and didn't blub :rolleyes:

I'm just confused, but I suppose that the good thing is that this was my post op x-ray and should have been my first fill...it's not as if it was a subsequent fill where the port had been ok 1st time round, otherwise they may have said it was something I'd done to harm it.

honestly, I've been so careful that I've done no cleaning or mopping at work for nearly 6 weeks now and felt so guilty at times...I'm so glad I was careful now!!

red ring them tomorrow to find out where you stand regarding costs and be firm with them that its there respobabilty and not yours x

Hi Red,

I hope you get this sorted out, I know it must be a big disapointment for you. Don't let them bully you over the charges for this either...I don't know much about banding but like Liz and others have said it was their responsibility to put it in so it does not slip.

Good luck hun...chin up.

{hugs}

thanks Snowcrystal

yes, as far as I was aware they were supposed to stitch it into the muscle so it couldnt move.

This is the info on WLSG website, did THG have a similar package? Do you know what you signed for in your aftercare?

Gastric band rescue package

In general, the risks associated with gastric band surgery are very small. Mortality rates during surgery are reported to be 1 in 2000. In a small percentage of people, longer term complications may arise that require medical treatment and/or corrective surgery.

This Gastric Band Rescue Package is available to patients who have a gastric band in situ for some time and have developed a medical problem that requires further surgical treatment. Examples of such complications include:

• Port Positioning - some patients find that the port is quite prominent, uncomfortable and/or not aesthetically pleasing after weight loss if it is located under the breast bone
  • Port Inaccessibility due to it’s position - a flipped port or a port positioned at a poor angle makes gastric band adjustments more technically difficult, possibly requiring all adjustments to be under X-ray control
  • Tubing problems - leakages can take place in the tubing or the tubing can become disconnected from the rest of the gastric band device
  • Band Slippage (prolapse) -a part of the stomach slides (slips) up through the band creating a larger pouch. In the majority of cases this requires removal of the band
  • Band erosion - this is a long term complication where the band can gradually erode into the stomach wall. This is a serious problem that requires removal of the band
  • Revisional Surgery - band failure is reported to occur in 5% of patients. This surgery is for patients who have failed with their band and wish to convert to a gastric bypass

Some problems can be easily managed, others are more serious. We aim to assess the problem in the most cost effective way and advise you as to what would be the best method to correct the problem. We can then, if clinically indicated, offer you a Surgical Package with aftercare to get you back on that road to weight loss success.

The initial consultation costs £50. This will then be deducted from the cost of your surgery should you decide to have further surgery with the WLS Group.

I wonder if THG operates a similar plan?

I hope they sort it for you.

Hi Yvonne
If you can`t afford to get it fixed and they`ll be looking to get payed to fix it could you say you`ll go to a solicitor or the news paper because you shouldn't have to pay for it . You could phone the CAB for advice hun . I`m sorry I cant give you any help . I hope it works out for you . Take care .
Margaret xx

So sorry to read that they were unable to do the fill this afternoon red. This is the 4th case I have read about this week.

thanks Liz and Gaynor

I'll ring the bariatric nurse in the morning and tell her what the situation is. Hopefully they won't quibble about correcting it...if they do, I've got one mega irate Husband who they'll have to deal with :flamingmad:

will keep you posted...

thank you everyone for your good wishes...I'm so glad to have such supportive friends :grouphugg:

This is the info on WLSG website, did THG have a similar package? Do you know what you signed for in your aftercare?

Gastric band rescue package

In general, the risks associated with gastric band surgery are very small. Mortality rates during surgery are reported to be 1 in 2000. In a small percentage of people, longer term complications may arise that require medical treatment and/or corrective surgery.

This Gastric Band Rescue Package is available to patients who have a gastric band in situ for some time and have developed a medical problem that requires further surgical treatment. Examples of such complications include:

• Port Positioning - some patients find that the port is quite prominent, uncomfortable and/or not aesthetically pleasing after weight loss if it is located under the breast bone
  • Port Inaccessibility due to it’s position - a flipped port or a port positioned at a poor angle makes gastric band adjustments more technically difficult, possibly requiring all adjustments to be under X-ray control
  • Tubing problems - leakages can take place in the tubing or the tubing can become disconnected from the rest of the gastric band device
  • Band Slippage (prolapse) -a part of the stomach slides (slips) up through the band creating a larger pouch. In the majority of cases this requires removal of the band
  • Band erosion - this is a long term complication where the band can gradually erode into the stomach wall. This is a serious problem that requires removal of the band
  • Revisional Surgery - band failure is reported to occur in 5% of patients. This surgery is for patients who have failed with their band and wish to convert to a gastric bypass
Some problems can be easily managed, others are more serious. We aim to assess the problem in the most cost effective way and advise you as to what would be the best method to correct the problem. We can then, if clinically indicated, offer you a Surgical Package with aftercare to get you back on that road to weight loss success.

The initial consultation costs £50. This will then be deducted from the cost of your surgery should you decide to have further surgery with the WLS Group.

I wonder if THG operates a similar plan?

I hope they sort it for you.

Thanks Caz...will check it out.

the only good thing I can think is that its my first post op x-ray and should have been a fill, and it's not as though it was a second or third fill and the port has suddenly gone wrong after being correct for previous fills (if that makes sense?)

Hi Yvonne
If you can`t afford to get it fixed and they`ll be looking to get payed to fix it could you say you`ll go to a solicitor or the news paper because you shouldn't have to pay for it . You could phone the CAB for advice hun . I`m sorry I cant give you any help . I hope it works out for you . Take care .
Margaret xx

thank you Margaret...that's very helpful xx

we'll fight them if they don't play fair...the only worry is that until it's fixed, I can't have a fill....it's already cost us £7000 and it never once crossed my mind that this would happen.

fingers crossed that they will come through for me :fingerscrossed:

Caz...I found this on THG site

6.3.Readmission – for up to 3 years after your operation, if, after your
operation, you and your Surgeon agree that further surgery (as part of
the original procedure) is necessary to assist you in achieving the results
originally anticipated, The Hospital Group will consider the surgical and
hospital costs. If, however, your Surgeon decides that the results of the
surgical procedure are acceptable within the normal limits of surgery,
then further surgery would incur a fee. Even after the agreed term The
Hospital Group will assess separately the circumstances of each patient
in determining the basis on which further surgery may be provided. The
Hospital Group will make the ultimate decision in readmissions and the
Company’s decision is
final

Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Just wanted to say that I hope that this is all sorted for you without a battle, it's the last thing you need!

Good luck and take care Xx

THG IS NAFFO

Back