• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Responsibilities, theirs and yours...

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
I have been reading a lot of threads recently where people seem very disheartened with how they are doing with their bands.

I think part of the problem is the media. The band has been made out to be a cure, a miracle magic wand that if you get one all your fat and any troubles will go away.

Also partly to blame is the blurb that is on a lot of private providers websites that make oh so hopeful promises that a band will solve all the problems too.

I say this as a lot of the posts of disappointment seem to come from those who sort the surgery privately. I understand that it is up to the individual on how they seek the surgery but I do wish the providers would go through a more thorough examination of the persons mental and emotional state before agreeing to surgery. But they are only in it for the money, so as long as their coffers are lined, do they need to worry?

I think they do.

I received second to none pre and post op care from the NHS.

I was seen first by my GP who assessed that from the problems I had with my health and what I told him about my eating patterns that a band would be good for me. I could have a bypass but he could see that I was mentally geared up for the long road ahead and felt that the less invasive option due to my high BMI would be best and he thought I should follow that route. It was him that gave me leaflets on the band, bypass and sleeve.

He applied for my funding, he told me to call the PCT once a week after this appointment to find out how funding was going. I had to go on holiday and was amazed on my return that I had a consultation in August with a surgeon. That was 3 months after seeing the doc, give or take.

I saw the surgeon, we talked for an hour, he told me of all the pitfalls, why a band might not work for a person ...these were:-

If you eat too much even when there is no restriction
If you eat the wrong kinds of food, aim for high protien, low fat. Little carbs.
If you do not exercise alongside the band.

He told me having a band will not fix or cure me but it will slowly teach me to eat slower and less at any given meal.

What he told me it could not do is cure my hunger, my cravings or stop me putting bad choices in my mouth. But slowly over time as stomach shrinks from less food, appetite would decrease also.

Realistically he told me that I could loose up to 60 percent of my excess weight in the first year or so, then it would slow and that if I worked really hard on my diet and fitness that I could reach goal within two years maybe two and a half. But it can take up to five to get exactly where you want to be.

I was sent to see a MDT (Multi-disciplinary team) consiting on endocrinologist/dibetician/dietician and pyschiatrist. I was given 2 sessions of counselling before I had surgery and 10 after surgery to help me learn new ways of dealing with emotions.

I can say my care was A+ but it does seem that there is not a uniform standard.

I think there should be, so everyone can be as well prepared and looked after as I have been.

I am sorry this has turned into a ramble but it saddens me that people have this surgery hoping it will mend them, only to go on to be disappointed that it doesn't happen quickly or the way they were led to believe by their providers.

(Gets off soapbox)

Awesome post Caz. Very well said hun xx

Brilliant post... very informative for someone like me who doesn't know which way to go. xx

I have been reading a lot of threads recently where people seem very disheartened with how they are doing with their bands.

I think part of the problem is the media. The band has been made out to be a cure, a miracle magic wand that if you get one all your fat and any troubles will go away.

Also partly to blame is the blurb that is on a lot of private providers websites that make oh so hopeful promises that a band will solve all the problems too.

I say this as a lot of the posts of disappointment seem to come from those who sort the surgery privately. I understand that it is up to the individual on how they seek the surgery but I do wish the providers would go through a more thorough examination of the persons mental and emotional state before agreeing to surgery. But they are only in it for the money, so as long as their coffers are lined, do they need to worry?

I think they do.

I received second to none pre and post op care from the NHS.

I was seen first by my GP who assessed that from the problems I had with my health and what I told him about my eating patterns that a band would be good for me. I could have a bypass but he could see that I was mentally geared up for the long road ahead and felt that the less invasive option due to my high BMI would be best and he thought I should follow that route. It was him that gave me leaflets on the band, bypass and sleeve.

He applied for my funding, he told me to call the PCT once a week after this appointment to find out how funding was going. I had to go on holiday and was amazed on my return that I had a consultation in August with a surgeon. That was 3 months after seeing the doc, give or take.

I saw the surgeon, we talked for an hour, he told me of all the pitfalls, why a band might not work for a person ...these were:-

If you eat too much even when there is no restriction
If you eat the wrong kinds of food, aim for high protien, low fat. Little carbs.
If you do not exercise alongside the band.

He told me having a band will not fix or cure me but it will slowly teach me to eat slower and less at any given meal.

What he told me it could not do is cure my hunger, my cravings or stop me putting bad choices in my mouth. But slowly over time as stomach shrinks from less food, appetite would decrease also.

Realistically he told me that I could loose up to 60 percent of my excess weight in the first year or so, then it would slow and that if I worked really hard on my diet and fitness that I could reach goal within two years maybe two and a half. But it can take up to five to get exactly where you want to be.

I was sent to see a MDT (Multi-disciplinary team) consiting on endocrinologist/dibetician/dietician and pyschiatrist. I was given 2 sessions of counselling before I had surgery and 10 after surgery to help me learn new ways of dealing with emotions.

I can say my care was A+ but it does seem that there is not a uniform standard.

I think there should be, so everyone can be as well prepared and looked after as I have been.

I am sorry this has turned into a ramble but it saddens me that people have this surgery hoping it will mend them, only to go on to be disappointed that it doesn't happen quickly or the way they were led to believe by their providers.

(Gets off soapbox)

Excellent post. :0clapper: I was thinking this today funnily enough. The band won't do anything other than restrict how much food is eaten.

You are one of the very lucky ones. I so wish I could get NHS fudning - not because I'm not willing to pay, but purely for an honest unbiased opinion on what is BEST for me.

Luckily Mr. Khan (the Walsall Manor Hospital bariatric surgeon) has been a source of help to me by asnwering my stream of text messages I send to him at all hours. However I hate to burden him so .. he's a busy guy.

I'm so peeved my PCT are so mean to me. Yet lead the country in this type of operation. :cry:

Excellent thread.

Sally

Great thread Caz.

I have to say that my surgeon has been extremely frank about the road ahead. I am a private patient and I was provided with tons of information and plenty of time to discuss the options.

However, I also did alot of research for over a year before I decided on WLS and I am thankful that I did.

I won't pretend that some of what I have read has scared the living daylights out of me and like many banders I am petrified of failure but I am prepared for the work. I am under no illusion this will 'cure' me but it has at least given me the best shot I could hope for to try and change my life for the better.

fab thread x

A great thread Caz :happy096:

I read this thread a few days ago and it's been playing on my mind since then (in a good way). It was a bit like a telling of from a teacher that you really like. You don't really want to face up to it but you know that in the long run, it is the best for you.
I think that part of the problem with me - as a bander who is struggling - is that certain things, like the constant update of my weight every morning and obsessive behaviour ranging from eating little to eating loads adds to the difficulty in keeping my head above water.
I was speaking to someone about this last week and she gave me some good advice. I mentioned that if I get on the scales one morning and have put some weight on, this will determine my mood and behaviour during the day. How self destructive is that.
I'm not saying that I haven't struggled over these last few days but it's enlightened me somewhat. Even down to things such as Easter Challenge. I know we need motivation but maybe I need motivation of a different kind just now?
Maybe my ticker at the bottom of the page is as bad as getting on the scales every morning?
Sorry for rambling but I just wanted some advice / reassurance from some of the other banders.
I certainly know I have made the right choices - health vise but my vanity seems to be taking over, does that make sense....?

Ramble Ramble Ramble...... x

Brilliant post Caz, very well said xx

I have decided to no longer be dictated to by numbers. I took all my info off and my ticker.

I will now only know my true weight when I go for each fill. I get a real sense if I am loosing, my clothes are looser and bras dont fit. I get compliments and this is enough for me.

If it takes me a while to loose my weight then so be it.

I am no longer going to allow guilt to rule me either. I will make sensible choice 90 percent of the time but still allow for a few things I love.

I have decided to no longer be dictated to by numbers. I took all my info off and my ticker.

I will now only know my true weight when I go for each fill. I get a real sense if I am loosing, my clothes are looser and bras dont fit. I get compliments and this is enough for me.

If it takes me a while to loose my weight then so be it.

I am no longer going to allow guilt to rule me either. I will make sensible choice 90 percent of the time but still allow for a few things I love.

There no harm in having an idea as to what size clothing you'd like to wear (rather than weight). However I completely understand your reckoning. I'll stop when I feel comfortable not when some BMI calculation (which is inaccurate in many respects) says I should.

I did the same on Minimins - if you look at my signatute there I have not set myself any goals. I also refuse to step on scales as well. I have led a mentally horrific few years in part because being on the Cambridge Diet turned me into a maniac and a scale hopping freak. It's not a healthy way to be.

It's important to understand which surgery one is best suited to based on the amounts of weight one has to lose - so in that respect it has to be acknowledged to some extent. However once the surgery has happened the obsessing has to stop, if not at least subside by 3/4! Once the surgery is done .. any success is down to the individual not the surgery itself.

Hmm

I dont entirely agree with this Caz. Whilst there might be some private patients who dont do the research and end up struggling there are also NHS patients who have very poor aftercare and leave hospital without a clue about what they should be doing. There have been some strugglers recently but private or not we cant judge whether they had adequate pre op care/advice or if indeed they researched enough - only they can do this.

To be honest anyone who believes what a glossy advert tells them without doing the research is going to be in for a big shock. And any provider who draws someone in on this basis is not worth approaching.

A good private provider would not just book someone in without at least a consultation and a thorough discussion on the best type of surgery for the individual. I also spoke to my GP prior to going private who supported my decision both at my appointment and to my provider prior to surgery.

A good provider will also point out all of the potential downfalls and the statistics relating to the type of surgery. They will also provide aftercare that includes regular contact with a dietician, the bariatric nurse and any other help needed. My dietician still phones me regularly and provided very detailed pre op and post op dietary advice, she is always only at the end of the phone. Plus I have the email addresses and mobile numbers of everyone plus a 24 hour emergency number.

Some people may have to ask their provider to recieve this level of service or not even have it offered as part of their package. Equally some NHS patients may feel out on a limb. If this is the case and they come on here for support, a kick up the backside or just to sound off I would like to think without the exception of giving any medical advice that this is a great place for them to do so.

A support forum is no substitute for good aftercare but a friendly virtual face and chat on here has helped many of us out.

Sorry if this sounded like a rant too :D

this is a great thread.

my surgeon told me the band was a tool and that i was the one that had to make it work for me and that it wouldnt be a quick fix, it would take time.

i have lost weight but at this moment in time i can honestly say i have no idea what i weigh, after my first band fill i stopped weighing myself and am happier for it. i also told my provider that i dont want to know what ive lost. only tell me if i put it on.

im happy, my surgeons happy and my clothes are getting looser and ive managed to come off some of my meds.:):D

im eating healthier than i ever have and although i dont go to the gym i walk my little chuhauhau so much i have to carry him home in my bag.:rolleyes:

i have had to learn to deal with my emotions in a different way, not eat!!!:eek:

it hasnt been easy but im not stressing every morning about my weight

sallie

Excellent thread I am NHS and have/am struggling, I read up on the band and bypass for over a year before i even saw the surgeon and yes i was swayed by the magazines i read with success stories and fern britton and many others and I did think it would be a win win battle. Wrong I was, but I do think that in my situation i had my op I left the next day and was told 2 weeks liquid 2 weeks pureed 2 weeks sloppy bye bye... no paperwork and only 2 phone calls from a nurse that was reading from a script.
I had a fill at 4 weeks and am still not much lighter that i was 6 weeks ago and can eat pretty much anything i want. I had the 6 montsh weight management beforehand but in all honesty I just wanted to have this bloody band and be thin so everything that was said to me went in one eat stayed for a few minutes then out of the other. In teh end I know best "not". My band is a learning curve which at the moment is pretty steep but as with anything new it takes time and effort and of course knowledge, so its not too late to learn.

THANX Caz
Iv'e read the original post several times , and to be honest i am one of those people who has been disheartened by my weight loss or lack of it . I'v learnt more from you and this site than i did from the wls team , i do feel not enough time was spent exploring me and my eating habbits , i felt a little railroaded into a band , even though i think i would still make the same choices given the chance , as i know i can diet (albeit in small bursts) when i feel possitive , but i did expect some assistance from the band from day 1 , i realise there are no magic cures and that i need to work at it . A GREAT BIG THANK YOU for bringing me to my senses and for the much needed big kick up the bum , i know you weren't directing it at me as such but it felt like it . Why are we never happy, i was over the moon with the chance of wls , but i fear i keep moving the goal posts , initally i whent into this to improve my health , but somewhere along the way i forgot and only concentrate on my weight now , this and othe threads has made me take stock and see that i do feel healthier already ,so thanks to everyone who has given their advice or shared their experiences.x

Last edited:
Back