• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Returning from the wilderness

Lostinmy30's

So I was here 2009 & 2010....... Happily got my band March 2010 (NHS)....... Didn't do great till I joined OA and also gave up sugar and compulsive overeating as well ....and lost a total of seven stone and was on the way down using my band as a tool when everything went wrong....the band slipped very badly I ended up hospitalised November 2013 and it had to be removed. My surgeon at the time explained my stomach had been building scar material repeatedly under my band , which had actually slipped three times the last right up to my oesophageal , and had done extensive damage to my stomach. He said they needed to let my stomach heal on its own for a while but it would require further surgery, a gastric sleeve, to remove the damage and to leave me with a better functioning 'stomach'.

Now here we are nearly 15 months later due to politics and bullshit ...I'm on the waiting list and due to be called for surgery anytime between now and March 5th. I still don't do sugar or alcohol , clean of both since July 2011, disabled by two chronic conditions and 3 stone heavier from the day my band was removed......I'm stuck back in that hate myself place ....my hospital bag is nearly packed.....I'm going to start the liver shrinking diet tomorrow that I did with the gastric band as provided by the hospital . I really want to get this right.....I guess I'm just looking for hope ...something to grab on to.......anyway ...I'm back

Vicki xx

My goodness, you have been through such an ordeal. Wishing you lots of healing and success on the next stage. I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you. You certainly deserve that

Welcome back even under such a difficult skies. Things can only get better for you and you know that you will get the support you need here

Hi Lost. I remember you! Sorry you have had such a hard time. I had my band removed and converted to a sleeve November 2014. It has been hard going so far but I feel hopeful that things will sort themselves out eventually and I will feel better. Stay in touch and get the great support of everyone here. Do not go through this and feel you are alone.

TBx

Got my date today.....28th of feb at the Royal in Glasgow eek excited!!!

Blooming brilliant - so does that mean mile diet would start?!

I've been on the liver reduction diet the hospital gave me since monday. we don't seem to do the milk diet up here...its v restricted calories and carbs....its OK i don't mind it :)

OMG - your band experience sounds exactly like mine !

Ended up in A&E twice, eventually band removed 18months ago now looking into a sleeve after 4 stone weight gain

I have to pay myself - slightly scared of more WLS but soooo unhappy I can't stand it xx

Well after getting my date on Thursday of last week I got a call on Friday to say my local weight management team had cancelled it, I called them, they denied all knowledge, so I raised an informal complaint. They have come back today to say it was the weight management team because I haven't yet attended their pre and post op sessions ( despite this being my second time around due to a mechanical issue) . I am now meeting with the surgeon a week today ( March 2nd ) , have stayed on the pre op diet since February 16th , have lost 7lb so far, apparently he intends to place me on the pre op diet when he meets me, by which point I will have been on it for 2 weeks. They will be discussing my case on the same day. I have been discussed repeatedly by this team since November 2013 I really do wish I could sit in and listen to what they say because only two of them have ever met me. I am now reading as many books I can get my hands on re gastric sleeves so any recommendations for books or websites are greatly welcomed. I'm working hard every day not to cry, be angry or frustrated.....I'm putting that energy into showing them how great I can do this pre op diet.

What a nightmare, I love how strangers get to make decisions about OUR lives! What does it have to do with them? You've been through the mill a bit haven't you hun.

I'd be nagging like mad to be in the meeting seen as they don't know you and it's not your fault the band slipped.

Best of luck xx

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

Well after getting my date on Thursday of last week I got a call on Friday to say my local weight management team had cancelled it, I called them, they denied all knowledge, so I raised an informal complaint. They have come back today to say it was the weight management team because I haven't yet attended their pre and post op sessions ( despite this being my second time around due to a mechanical issue) . I am now meeting with the surgeon a week today ( March 2nd ) , have stayed on the pre op diet since February 16th , have lost 7lb so far, apparently he intends to place me on the pre op diet when he meets me, by which point I will have been on it for 2 weeks. They will be discussing my case on the same day. I have been discussed repeatedly by this team since November 2013 I really do wish I could sit in and listen to what they say because only two of them have ever met me. I am now reading as many books I can get my hands on re gastric sleeves so any recommendations for books or websites are greatly welcomed. I'm working hard every day not to cry, be angry or frustrated.....I'm putting that energy into showing them how great I can do this pre op diet.

Good luck with tomorrow's appointment x

So finally.....I'm back on some kind of track what a blooming battle arrghhhh! I've met my surgeon he is happy to go ahead phew. I had my first of two 1-2-1 sessions yesterday for my pre op preparation yesterday. The post op diet baffled me a bit....they don't mention protein shakes or powders....in fact they told me to get milk powder and add that to milk to increase protein intake. Any thoughts guys ?

New date yay !!!! April 11th .....getting my pre op diet in the morning as I start it Saturday eek!!?

Good luck
I too have had band problems I have had a reposition in January see how it goes would have preferred to change to a sleeve but they said I wouldn't have got funding paid for band privately originally. Trouble is if I have a blip or over eat I'm constantly panicking I've done harm x

Back