• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Revision from Band to MGB - Chris De Bruyne . . .help!

top_kat

Dear all,

Been a long time since I've posted on here, my band and journey has been an odd one. I lost 12 stone with my band following WW, I've never been able to find restriction with my band despite having 25 fills. Suspected leak, suspected issues, my provider were as much use as a chocolate tea pot!!!

In Jan 2015 I was rushed into hospital with a severe attack which was found to be gallstones. Then in the summer I had a hemiplegic migraine which they thought to be a stroke so the pending surgery for my gallbladder removal was cancelled again until I'd had a brain MRI.

During the whole of last year, still without any sign of the band working I struggled with food, fat wasn't the issue for my gallstones and it was sparked off big time by fruit, veg, but particularly fruit juices, as well as carb foods. For a year all I could live on was ryvita, crackers and jacobs mini cheddars. So as you can imagine a chunk of weight I've lost I've gained.

I had to have my band completely emptied last Nov due to the pending surgery. Went in for gallbladder removal but had a complicated surgery which took over 2 hours longer than it should have done. Further complications within the first 20 hours of surgery saw me going in for yet another emergency surgery under GA and then further complications led to another surgery which failed. And they scheduled me for another on Xmas eve two days later but as I wasn't guaranteed to be out for Xmas Day they agreed to do it between Xmas & New Year. My 6 hours in hospital had turned into 11 days.

They couldn't do surgery so quickly so I was home and out with drains in place until I had my 4th surgery at the end of January.

Fast forward to today, had a fill on the band which they said there was loads of pressure (14ml band and they couldn't get in more than 4mls - I'd been up at 12mls prior to surgery) but I was never expecting to feel a difference as I've never felt restriction.

Slowly the weight is gaining. And I know that I need to take action because the band isn't going to work just as it didn't before. I've lost track of WW which also stopped working for me too and I can see myself gaining all the time.

So . . .I made a tentative enquiry with Belgium Surgery Services to have an MGB (or maybe RNY but leaning towards the MGB), they've advised that due to all that's happened I have to have a GB consultation.

So, I'm now torn, do I pay more money for surgery or what do I do? Will another form work? Will it fail me just like the band has done?

I've been reading some of the threads on here from some who have had MGB, those who have band revision to MGB and I'd really appreciate the bare honest truth about your experience. The good, the bad and the downright ugly.

Really appreciate any feedback and also, if I head to the consultation next month are there specific things I really need to be asking? I've watched videos, read reviews, and filled the brain just as I did pre-band. But it can't been good honest feedback - anyone able to help?

Please?

Kat x

countrywench

Hi Kat
So sorry to hear you've had problems
As a new Bander , I don't understand about the gallstones ? Is this something to do with the band ? Did the band cause the stones or did it aggravate stones that were already there ? And the migraines were caused by the band ?
So when you first had the band fitted it worked as it should ? You wrote you lost a massive 12'stone ? So when did you suspect the band wasn't working as it should ?

What about just having a new bad fitted if they suspect it's leaking now ?
I've heard of the port leaking and getting that replaced ..
Sorry for so many questions
Mindy
Xxxxx

top_kat

Hi Mindy

As a new Bander , I don't understand about the gallstones ?
Is this something to do with the band ? Did the band cause the stones or did it aggravate stones that were already there?

Lots of weight loss can cause gallstones which is what they believe was at the root of mine, not band related but weight loss related.

And the migraines were caused by the band ?
No, I've always suffered from them, but I was posting about it because having that attack prevented them from performing my gallbladder surgery and made it drag on for 13 months.

So when you first had the band fitted it worked as it should ?

No. My band has never worked as it should. I have never felt or been able to find restriction. Having it placed I joined weight watchers to help try to keep me on track as it was obvious early on restriction wasn't going to be easy to find and it was that which led to my losses not the band. I've been right up to just under 14mls in a 14ml band and cannot feel restriction. I've always been able to eat exactly what I wanted and never felt satisfied on a small portion. My band just hasn't worked and my provider was crap in helping. As I'm way beyond my after care (not that I'd go back to my provider for anything else) I'm looking to have a revision.

What about just having a new bad fitted if they suspect it's leaking now ?

This isn't an option. I wouldn't choose another band if my life depended on it. It's caused other issues and the journey has been a nightmare.

But I'm considering conversion specifically to MGB so have posted to get experiences on that. :)

countrywench

Thank you for the info Kat .
Not sure if I have gallstones as I've never been checked , and I don't think,I've ever had symptoms .. But this info gives me help if I do get an issue ..
Bless you with the migraines , I know they can be killers and so debilitating . I used to get them as a teenager when I was on the pill , pork and dry roast peanuts used to set me off ..
I wonder if you were fitted with a faulty band ? I suppose that is a possibility ..mi would be gutted also at this outcome ..
I hope you get all the info you need on here from members who have had a revision ..
Take care
Mindy
Xxxx

Monalisa

Hi Kat
I too had a troublesome band tried a reposition on NHS which just lead to another set of problems so after three bad years I finally took the plunge to get another loan and have a revision. I looked at all options and did consider the MGB with Dr Chris but the consultant I ended up with advised that as I had suffered with band induced acid reflux I could get bile reflux with this so I ruled it out. I originally lost 6 stone with my band and had put four back on I was a bit of a scaredy with the full RNY and my consultant didn't feel I was big enough really so that left me with the sleeve again my main concern was reflux so they emptied my band and it stopped so he felt he could tailor my sleeve to work around it and he has done successfully touch wood and in one op on the the 21st January 2016. I am very pleased with the results although a little slow compared to first time virgin sleevers I've lost nearly 2 1/2 stone and have no problems I've never been sick and now just feel full rather than stuck. I liked my band and was sad to loose it although I'd probably have to say now I wish I'd had this in the first place. It was a very hard decision to convert never mind expensive lol but I couldn't do it on my own and feel very glad now I've done it. If I could give you any advice it would have to be to choose your surgeon very carefully and to look at your specific set of problems with the band and see how they can work round it with each proceedure although I must admit I had three consultations with three different recommendations but I just ended up going with what felt right for me and was very nervous. I'm here if I can help you good luck Xx

top_kat

thanks everyone.

Monalisa, thank you for sharing your conversion experience, the only time that I had reflux issues was when the band had a funny reaction to my extreme pain from the gallstone attacks but since al the surgeries I've had no issues.

I did make contact with both Europe Surgery and more recently direct with Belgium Surgery Services and that latter have been much better in their contact.

I could potentially have surgery as soon as May 25th and they will not charge me any extra for the removal of my band but will include it all in the MGB price which was surprising. They gave sent me some video links with answers to all of my concerns, the most being to do with ghrelin production as that increased for me with the band (which they don't tell you about before fitting one!) so I think I'm set to go ahead.

Yes it's more money but I can see things slipping and I need to get on top of it, I just need to get things sorted with home and work as I'm self employed.

Would love to hear feedback from people with an MGB and those who used Chris De Bruyne :)

Monalisa

Good luck Kat all sounds good I paid £97 extra to remove my band thought it was funny more like an admin charge lol one thing I would suggest you double check is are you covered if it can't all be done in one op as my surgeon said its not always possible and they don't know 100% until they go in to operate that was my biggest concern at the time I was lucky two others he did were not wishing you all the best let us know how you get on and I've heard a lot of good things about Chris Byrne i chickened out of go abroad in the end x

los in it

Hi kat,your one of a few posts I read when I first joined this amazing site,you are always honest about what was going on and your advise is worth its weight in gold,so I was truly sad to read this post. I wish you nothing but a change for you and all for the better kep us all up dated

ladilindy

Hi kat, I can't comment on your revision as I had an RNY but I can totally recommend Dr Chris and his team, I had excellent care and have had really trouble free journey, the hospital is very good and most staff can speak English...some better than others :)

Lynn x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hola TK

This is my THIRD attempt to reply to your post - grrrrrr

Anyway, sorry to hear about your gallbladder issues, nasty little things they are and very painful.

I know a MGB'er, we worked at the same place and she was a member on here. She was also a band converter.

Unfortunatley what I used to see her eat with band, bagette, crisps and fizzy drinks, she carried on with post MGB. Apparently it was the fact she was a converter. Denial alert - no love, its not just a river in Egypt.

What I'm trying to say and no doubt you know this already, you will still have to work at it.

Hopefully the added bonus of malabsorption will help and you wont have to diet in the same way you have with the band.

If you haven't already thought of these questions, I would ask:

How much does the complication rate increase as you have a banded stomach. Apparently its fairly high at 7% as a first surgery.

Also, how much malabsorption will be acheived. Will it be impaired, again because of the band.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep posting!

My band has been gone for three months, I can eat now - woo hoo! Nowhere near as much as pre band though lol.

My surgeon won't do an all in one and when I saw the pictures of my stomach, yes she showed me them more or less as soon as I came round - I could see why :(

I'm looking at a further wait of maybe five months before my next surgery, which will be the sleeve. My only other option is the full bypass but I was advised against it, due to my age and post menapausal state lol. The potential deficiencies would not be good!

xx

n1kkx

Dear all,

Been a long time since I've posted on here, my band and journey has been an odd one. I lost 12 stone with my band following WW, I've never been able to find restriction with my band despite having 25 fills. Suspected leak, suspected issues, my provider were as much use as a chocolate tea pot!!!

In Jan 2015 I was rushed into hospital with a severe attack which was found to be gallstones. Then in the summer I had a hemiplegic migraine which they thought to be a stroke so the pending surgery for my gallbladder removal was cancelled again until I'd had a brain MRI.

During the whole of last year, still without any sign of the band working I struggled with food, fat wasn't the issue for my gallstones and it was sparked off big time by fruit, veg, but particularly fruit juices, as well as carb foods. For a year all I could live on was ryvita, crackers and jacobs mini cheddars. So as you can imagine a chunk of weight I've lost I've gained.

I had to have my band completely emptied last Nov due to the pending surgery. Went in for gallbladder removal but had a complicated surgery which took over 2 hours longer than it should have done. Further complications within the first 20 hours of surgery saw me going in for yet another emergency surgery under GA and then further complications led to another surgery which failed. And they scheduled me for another on Xmas eve two days later but as I wasn't guaranteed to be out for Xmas Day they agreed to do it between Xmas & New Year. My 6 hours in hospital had turned into 11 days.

They couldn't do surgery so quickly so I was home and out with drains in place until I had my 4th surgery at the end of January.

Fast forward to today, had a fill on the band which they said there was loads of pressure (14ml band and they couldn't get in more than 4mls - I'd been up at 12mls prior to surgery) but I was never expecting to feel a difference as I've never felt restriction.

Slowly the weight is gaining. And I know that I need to take action because the band isn't going to work just as it didn't before. I've lost track of WW which also stopped working for me too and I can see myself gaining all the time.

So . . .I made a tentative enquiry with Belgium Surgery Services to have an MGB (or maybe RNY but leaning towards the MGB), they've advised that due to all that's happened I have to have a GB consultation.

So, I'm now torn, do I pay more money for surgery or what do I do? Will another form work? Will it fail me just like the band has done?

I've been reading some of the threads on here from some who have had MGB, those who have band revision to MGB and I'd really appreciate the bare honest truth about your experience. The good, the bad and the downright ugly.

Really appreciate any feedback and also, if I head to the consultation next month are there specific things I really need to be asking? I've watched videos, read reviews, and filled the brain just as I did pre-band. But it can't been good honest feedback - anyone able to help?

Please?

Kat x
Hi TC
I had a band with Dr Cheis about 8 or 9 years ago. Lost 49kg over 3 years and yo-yo'd for a few years from 80-88kgs depending on fills, exercise etc. Had several problems with reflux, pb'ing and all the usual stuff. Couldn't eat the usual carbs or drink anything gassy.
Last year after realising the reflux was damaging my throat and the generally anti social was of the band I did research and went back to Belgium for an MGB. Best thing I ever did.
Great doctor, great service and revolutionised my life and weight loss balance. Wish if done it the first time around. With the band emptied early last year I had gone back to just under 100kg. Operation in June and now I'm mid 80's and reasonably stable.
Smaller stomached capacity means smaller meals and mal absorption means steady fast weight loss. Can eat and drink most things in moderation and so much better than the band.
You still have to be disciplined but sensible eating and moderate exercise and the weight comes off steadily.
Drawbacks; need to watch your blood to make sure you are not deficient in things...my nails can get very brittle sometimes so I know I need to get my blood checked. Going to the toilet can sometimes be an urgent affair as the need to go comes on fast. Oh and once you've been it stinks and it keeps floating so several flushes are often required! Dumping: eat the wrong things, too much sugar or too much carbs and you get the auger high and the immediate sugar low, sends you to sleep for an hour or so...you will learn to avoid foods that induce it....mash potato is the worse one for me but there are many danger foods, just keep them to a minimum.
That's all I can think of for now but ask if there's anything else. My advice solely based on my experience would be to get yourself strong enough, it's quite a major op after all, and then get to Brussels and get Frederick, Dr Chris etc to do your conversion. After the first tender 3 weeks or so it gets much much easier.
Good luck whatever you decide.

countrywench

Hi .. Do you mind me asking how much that op is abroad ?
Cheers
Mindy
Xx

n1kkx

Hi .. Do you mind me asking how much that op is abroad ?
Cheers
Mindy
Xx

I don't clearly remember, I think about £5000 but it might have been less. If you email them from the website Frederick will give you all the details. They are very helpful without being pushy or judgemental

Tia4908

I had a MGB with Dr Chris on 13/04/16, couldn't recommend him or his team more highly. Fantastic work. Two weeks later & I am feeling great! Best of luck x

countrywench

Thank you for the info lindy .. That gives me something to think about
Xxx

top_kat

Tia that's great to hear is everything still going OK?

I'm looking at a surgery date of July 1st and altho I've had lots of surgeries recently I still haven't got over my fear of anaesthetic and that I won't wake up after!

How did you get on in terms of travelling? I will be going alone and is there any recommendations or tips you'd suggest?

Tia4908

Everything is going great thank you, you would never have known I had surgery just a month ago!

I honestly couldn't fault the staff at all, they were all so helpful. Aside from the drowsiness I felt no pain as they kept all my meds topped up. Completely understand the fear but I am sure you will be absolutely fine! You are very well cared for.

Most people travelled alone when I went, I did actually take my mum (who had had a band a week prior) and she was on hand to carry my bags, however that was being overly cautious, I would have been fine, as the rest were! You get a taxi to & from the hotel who deal with your luggage & you only need to pack light for the hospital. I actually left Belgium a day early & changed my Eurostar (so easy if you live anywhere near to the departing stations) as I was well enough to go home & didn't fancy an additional day in the hotel.

The hospital is pretty big & may take a little while to navigate yourself to the initial sign in ( I would direct you but I have no idea how I got there myself!) so just allow a little extra time in the morning!

The only tip I would give, is go to the shop before your surgery & get some yoghurts & crispbreads so that when you are discharged you have something to eat later on that day/ following day. You get supplied with meds to take home & you also need to get a prescription of acid reflux tables (Around €40 for 3 months) so make sure you have some funds to cover it (I take them daily, cannot say I have had any problems whatsoever with it though)

Bart / Frederik will come & visit you before and after and are both fantastic. You get a little gadget that you blow into to help with pain and stomach strength, you must hit a certain level before they allow you to go home. (You blow into it one way & suck in the other. You need to make the 3 balls rise)

It's only been a month but I think this was definitely the right option for me, Dr Chris said in a meeting we had beforehand that the MGB was the easy option compared to the sleeve/band/full bypass as its the quickest recovery, best social life & fastest results!

If I can help with anything else, just let me know :)