• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Right at the start

jj87

Hi everyone.

So I have been on this site a few weeks now and have decided to say hello and begin my journey with you all. I 1st went to my doctor regarding my weight and was informed I would need to do a tier two programme for minium of 12 weeks thankfully I was already with slimming world. My doctor ran the test needed for me which all came back fine except that my blood pressure is sky high so I have now been placed on medication for this I also have a kidney scan and bloods to be done my doctor has informed me that once all this has taken place she will directly refer me to the hommerton hospital and then wait from there.. I currently have a bmi of 50 I also have pcos and underactive thyroid and now hypertension. If any one has any advice or guidance please comment I would be interested to know if I would be a suitable candidate and how long you all feel it would take to get to surgery. Look forward in hearing hearing from you. X

Welcome to the forum. I would think you would be suitable for surgery and seem to have your GP on your side which always helps. As to how long it takes - that seems to vary widely according to area. My journey from referral to operation took about 2 years, but that included my referral being lost ,and I am in Shropshire so in a different region. I appear to have had one of the longer waits, so hopefully someone with experience in your area will be able to give you a better idea. Good luck!

Hello JJ , welcome !
I'm not good with advice for the NHS route but I wish you all the luck ..
Ask anything you like as someone on here will know the answer :)

Thank you for your post. Have you got a sleeve? Ru happier now?.... x
I do have a sleeve now. I am glad to have lost a lot of weight, but I do still have a lot to lose. However, losing weight by itself is not what makes me happy - being able to go out when my husband walks the dogs and that I can choose clothes that I like instead of just what I can find to fit me - that feels good. On the negative side I miss being able to share a good meal and drink with my friends, and coming to terms with the loss of food as an emotional support for me is hard to do. I don't think I can rely on being thinner as a route to happiness on its own, because I am still myself with all the other problems I have in my life and they will not disappear with the fat.

That is so true Penelope
It's not just the weight loss but the freedom that comes with it :)

Hi. Was that from gp to surgery or your 1st apps with the hospital till surgery. I will be ref in January hopefully.

I'm also right at the start of my journey, I went to my GP on the 5th and had to go back again today for medication for hypertension (long story, short version is my BP was still high after having severe pre-eclampsia with my daughter but my home monitor was telling me it was fine). Maybe we'll end up with similar surgery dates x

Hi everyone.

So I have been on this site a few weeks now and have decided to say hello and begin my journey with you all. I 1st went to my doctor regarding my weight and was informed I would need to do a tier two programme for minium of 12 weeks thankfully I was already with slimming world. My doctor ran the test needed for me which all came back fine except that my blood pressure is sky high so I have now been placed on medication for this I also have a kidney scan and bloods to be done my doctor has informed me that once all this has taken place she will directly refer me to the hommerton hospital and then wait from there.. I currently have a bmi of 50 I also have pcos and underactive thyroid and now hypertension. If any one has any advice or guidance please comment I would be interested to know if I would be a suitable candidate and how long you all feel it would take to get to surgery. Look forward in hearing hearing from you. X
Hello you!
Welcome to the our lovely site! I'm sure your a suitable candidate for WLS just keep on it show willing and the prize of a new smaller happier you is yours for the taking! from my start to finish it took about 18 months long enough to make pre op changes lose weight before the LSD and to get my head in gear but don't regret a single thing I had a bypass weighted in at 25 stone ( 28 stone before LSD) now weighting 15 stone! losing around 15 stone in approx 2 years and I feel flipping amazing!

I'm also right at the start of my journey, I went to my GP on the 5th and had to go back again today for medication for hypertension (long story, short version is my BP was still high after having severe pre-eclampsia with my daughter but my home monitor was telling me it was fine). Maybe we'll end up with similar surgery dates x
Yes I've just been given my tabs and waiting for my scan date before paperwork will be done to send to the hospital. How r u feeling

Hello you!
Welcome to the our lovely site! I'm sure your a suitable candidate for WLS just keep on it show willing and the prize of a new smaller happier you is yours for the taking! from my start to finish it took about 18 months long enough to make pre op changes lose weight before the LSD and to get my head in gear but don't regret a single thing I had a bypass weighted in at 25 stone ( 28 stone before LSD) now weighting 15 stone! losing around 15 stone in approx 2 years and I feel flipping amazing!
Hi. Thank you for your comment. I'm excited to start this journey and live a life I've only dreamed of xx

I thought I'd said hi and good luck but I haven't so hi and good luck!

Back