• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New start at 40

Jorobo71

Hi I am jorobo71 found this site last week but it has taken me since then to find out how to start a thread. I thought I would introduce myself. I turn 40 in February and was hoping that I would of been further down my weight loss journey. Unfortunately due to some kidney problems didn't have my surgery until this Monday. So I am now 4 days post op. I had a gastric bypass at Salford and cannot fault the care I received. Have enjoyed reading other people's experiences and hope that I will be able to pass my experiences on. I am a mental health nurse and have som e experience of how PCT's work and how they grant Funding, even though I was still surprised when I was given funding on my first application.

I am married with a five and a half year old daughter. Decided to go for wls two years ago after many failed attempts at dieting. Initially was dissuaded by my local hospital, fortunately I have a very good gp who then referred me to Salford royal. Had my first appointment in October 2009 and originally my plan was to have a band. However after discussion with dr went away did some thinking and decided that he was probably right and that I should go for the bypass. Unfortunately due to some slight hitches initially with the funding process I was originally scheduled to have my bypass in October2010. Unfortunately I developed a persistent urinary infection which mention my op had to be re- scheduled until they found the cause. A couple of scans later turns out I have renal calculi including a partial stag horn calculi in my right kidney. Cause found and temporary treatment sorted(will need op in the future to get rid of them) able to continue with bypass surgery. Initially scheduled for Jan 19th, was cancelled due to another emergency op. Then finally went in at 7:00 am this Monday . Was absolutely petrified but after having read others stories made me feel a bit more at ease.

Anyway now have to figure out how to use other bits of site so that I can update my journey.

Oh does anyone know if the Manchester support group is still running and whether it is still held in the Sheldon Arms. Could someone let me know as I am interested in attending.

Hi and welcome to the site! How are you feeling, at 4 days post op? Glad you're on the other side now and can start enjoying your new life. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Sorry I can't help with the support group question but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who will have the answer.

Hi and :welcome: to WLS, Im a Mr Ammori patient too and had my op in Oct last year at Salford. Hope your recovery is going well. The Manchester support group in the Sheldon Arms I dont know about sorry, but Salford Royal have one every month......its the first Wednesday of every month so the next on should be on 9th Feb, but Im sure someone has mentioned the 7th :eek: Ill get back to you on that lol.....I will check and make sure but it would be nice to see you there :D XX

hiya welcome to the site and congratulations on your opp my bypass is on saturday and i am too petrified xxx

:welcome2:Glad to hear that you are doing well and also wishing you Happy Healing... you seem to be doing really well now...

How are you feeling post op?

You certainly had a long way to travel from home to Salford.... but you had the best with Mr. Ammori.

It's my turn hopefully on Monday.

I'm glad you have found us and we are all here if we can help in any way.

We do attend the Salford Royal Support Group Meeting (a few of us on here) on the first Wednesday of each month.. in the Mayo Building at the back of the hospital.

Sending love and hugs to you xxx:wave_cry:

hi and welcome

Hi and welcome. I had my bypass with Mr Ammori last September. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hello and welcome to the site xx

Hi and welcome t the forum. Thanks for sharing some of your journey with us. I look forward to hearing more from you and following your journey.
Welcome to the Losers' bench and sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery now.
Grace xxx

dottychic said:
Hi and :welcome: to WLS, Im a Mr Ammori patient too and had my op in Oct last year at Salford. Hope your recovery is going well. The Manchester support group in the Sheldon Arms I dont know about sorry, but Salford Royal have one every month......its the first Wednesday of every month so the next on should be on 9th Feb, but Im sure someone has mentioned the 7th :eek: Ill get back to you on that lol.....I will check and make sure but it would be nice to see you there :D XX

thank you- recovery not to bad- have been to Salford support group- unfortunately it is really difficult for me to get there as i don't finish work til 6 on a wednesday and as husband works shifts not easy to get Child care. Did try taking her with me the last time I went but she was a bit to fidgety and got bored despite being prepared with her favourite games so only managed to listen to the talks. If I don't find any more info about group at Sheldon arms then may have to look at how I can get to Salford.

Grace said:
Hi and welcome t the forum. Thanks for sharing some of your journey with us. I look forward to hearing more from you and following your journey.
Welcome to the Losers' bench and sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery now.
Grace xxx

Thank you

blueeyes said:
Hi and welcome to the site! How are you feeling, at 4 days post op? Glad you're on the other side now and can start enjoying your new life. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Sorry I can't help with the support group question but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who will have the answer.

THank you. - not feeling to bad - struggling to get food and fluid requirements in. Not something I would normally say lol!, but I am assuming this will get better over the next couple of weeks.

How are you doing and feeling today? Love and hugs xxx

emma ruth said:
hiya welcome to the site and congratulations on your opp my bypass is on saturday and i am too petrified xxx

Thank you - good luck for your op. Hope it goes okay. If it's any consolation I was convinced I wasn't coming home and that my daughter was going to have to look forward to a life without me. I know it sounds a bit depressing but the thing that helped me most was realising that there were lots of others out there that had been through this surgery and that they have all recounted there stories here for everyone to share. Reading these stories gave me the courage to make sure I made it to the hospital on Monday morning. Anyway good luck.

Bev said:
:welcome2:Glad to hear that you are doing well and also wishing you Happy Healing... you seem to be doing really well now...

How are you feeling post op?

You certainly had a long way to travel from home to Salford.... but you had the best with Mr. Ammori.

It's my turn hopefully on Monday.

I'm glad you have found us and we are all here if we can help in any way.

We do attend the Salford Royal Support Group Meeting (a few of us on here) on the first Wednesday of each month.. in the Mayo Building at the back of the hospital.

Sending love and hugs to you xxx:wave_cry:

Thank you - not feeling to bad get better each day. Bit sore and tender still and struggling to make sure I get enough food and fluids in, but seems to be getting easier day by day. Hope your op goes ahead on Monday. I have been to the group at Salford but because I work late on Wednesdays and because husband works shifts can be difficult for me to get there. I did try taking my daughter with me once but despite the best will in the world and a bag full of ds games she got bored really quick and started getting fidgety, so was only able to stay for the talk. Shame really as every time i have been I have learnt some valuable stuff. Anyway good luck for Monday - the staff pre and post op where all fantastic and really helpful.

Back