• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

right have made my decision......now need you advice!

sunbeam77

Hi guys,
so after being referred by my GP a couple of weeks ago I am looking at the 1-2 years wait for surgery. I am in such a fame of mind right now that I cant wait any longer so I am going to go private with a finance plan.

my BMI is 46 and I am 39 years old single mum, my children need their mum back....and healthy!

I want to have the sleeve as this seems to have great results. I am concerned about the long term issues with the band.....what happens in the future, does it stay in there indefiniately? if you have it taken out do you have to pay?

the cost I have seen for the sleeve is abut £10,000, is this about right? with a payment of approx. £250pcm over 4 years?

your advice and anyones experiences would be great!!

thank you! x

Hi I'm 9 wks with my sleeve and lost 4 stone
Personally I've had a great time and had no problems
read the WLS Diarys on here where we have all spoke about our time before and after surgery they will be a great help to you xx

Hello and welcome sunbeam!

Hi and welcome. I'm 22 days post op from having a sleeve and I've lost 8kg which I think is about 1 and 1/2 stone. I have my good days and bad days but u know it will get better with time. To answer your question about paying for removal of band. Yes you have to pay. This is almost the same amount as having it in. I had a band first and was not happy with it so I had a revision to a sleeve. Good luck

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I am having a sleeve on the 5th August ;-)

Price wise 10k seems to be about the average in the UK. I did ask for quite a few quotes. There was one who was £7.5k not sure if they offered finance, but you could of course get a loan to finance it yourself.

Whatever your decision, good luck!

Hi and welcome !
What I say is . What price can you put on health and happiness ? Money can and will replace itself , it's not real , you are .. I would pay for my gastric band again and again because the difference it's made to my life cannot be measured in £s ..
Yes it's rough at first and you'll wonder what the hell you've done . It will feel like the biggest mistake in the world and some people around you will try and talk you out of it .. But this time next year ? Your either going to be slimmer , healthier and happier , or your going to be heavier, in danger of diabetes and other weight health issues if you don't have it done ..
For me it's a non brainer ..
Yes there are risks so make sure you read everything you can get your hands on . The best advice is from people who have it done , not people who havnt , they have no idea ..
Life in general is a risk isn't it ! Crossing the road , driving , flying , it's all risks to our lives but we do these things without thinking about them ..
Do it while your still young . I'm is 53 and feel like I've wasted all those years being unhappy and unhealthy for my kids .. But surgery a few years ago was still at a young stage and the cost was way out of my reach .. It's come a long way in those years ..
Ask anything you want , even is you think it might be silly .. Someone on here will know the answer and be able to help and reassure you
Good luck with whatever you decide
Mindy
Xxxxx

I had my sleeve 8 weeks ago tomorrow and its life changing. I also found the 18 months on tier 3 very helpful so if you're going private make sure you read as much as you can and take as much time as you need before you decide. It's life changing and a huge commitment so make sure you're as ready as you can be x

thank you everyone for your replies!

I have an apt on Monday with Mr Javanthi at Chelmsford so fingers crossed!!!

just want to start this journey now......very excited :D

Good luck to you on your journey, I've just returned from Belgium having had a band to MGB conversion and a couple of ladies there were giving the sleeve and they're doing great post op.

Look for surgeon more so than provider and really look into the aftercare that is included whatever option you go for :)

I'm in Canvey island. My doctors informed me it would be homerton. Hopefully beg of Jan she will send the relevant paperwork. I just hope I'm a good candidate and am able to start the process quickly. fingers crossed

Morning . i just wanted to ask if u had to do the sleep test and what other test were needed before surgery. Thank you x

Back