• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rollercoaster

nikki f

I guys I'm a complete virgin to the site and wanted to introduce myself and get come advice I've found all your stories so informative and inspiring I can't wait for my op. I'm 29 and recently been granted funding for wls at chelsea and westminister basically my fertility do your referred me for wls surgery after not being able to help me after years of dieting and excersise to loose weight to balance my hormones and give me a better chance at having a child. It's all moving rather quickly and I'm not sure of the process. I had my meeting with the nurse where she informed me of the different types of surgery and I've finally decided on a bypass but scary but I think it's best for me ad being big has been a problem for me since I was a child. Bit scary and drastic but I hope that it will help me for the rest of my life. Now I've got my appointment on the 9th aug for meeting with surgeon, nutritionist and psychologist all on the same day and was wondering if anyone could give me an approx timeline for what happens next and when. Any comments and suggestions will be warmly welcomed I see how guys support each other and it's great. I've never been part of a support network and I guess Boone really knows or understands what we're going through during thus transition unless they've been there too. Thanks guys and look forward to getting to know you better. Xx

hey nikki, welcome to the site, imsure someone will be along soon who can halp you, good luck :) xxx

Hi and welcome Nikki!

I can't comment as funding etc seems to be completely different to where I am in Scotland but someone will be along before you know it with words of wisdom!!

However regarding your "novels" disappearing - I just joined two weeks ago and the same happened to me - so frustrating! because we r new our posts are monitored - keep a look out as they will prob appeal later today or tomorrow!

Good luck :)

Thanks ladies feel very lucky to have come across the site the info and support I'd great feeling really anxious so the site is really helping!

Hi nikki and welcome. Keep us posted on your journey and good luck xxx

Bypass or sleeve

Hi guys I have to make a decision on what type of wls to have and the 2 I've whittled it gown to is bypass or sleeve can anyone give me any help I'm 29 and have battled weight forever and a day I'm currently 20 stone bypass seems so scary I'm really not sure!! Any info would be great xxx

Hi
You surgeon should guide you on what op is best for you, i put on all my weight eating bread, bread and more bread. I had the sleeve and now i cant eat bread so ive had to get my head round not having it anymore. Like you i just found the whole bypass op too scary so that left me with the sleeve. Its working very well for me but what has your surgeon recommended?
Mine was happy to do both and at first i didnt know what to choose.

Kim

They've gone through all of the ops with me and suggested these two as being best for my success but have ultimately left the final decision to me do I'm just gonna do more research and make dn informed decision

I had the Gastric band but that is only because that is what I could afford and did not want to wait another 6 months saving for a Gastric sleeve.
But if money was no object I would definitely go sleeve. It was my first choice but was more than twice the price of the band so band won :)
But if I was in your possition to choose I would definitely choose the sleeve over bipass. It is very drastic and I know a friend of my mums who had ever problem going and almost died (not trying to scare you because of course there are countless others who it worked great for and had no issues) but what my mum told me she went through I could never even if I had the cash.
Good luck with your decision and as long as you do your research and make the choice that is right for you, you cannot go far wrong :D

I thought about the two but went with the bypass. My team felt it was the best for me and so did I. The bypass seemed to risky but in the end I wanted the higher % weight loss. Look in to the ups and downs of both and work out what one best suits your eating pattern. Good luck x x

Convincing mum

After years of being told by mother that I'm too fat and I need to do something about it now that I'm having bypass surgery she doesn't think it's a good idea.
She's saying that if having a bypass makes me eat smaller portions why can't I just do that without surgery. I know she's just worried about the side effects and actual surgery but I can't seem to explain to her the amazing benefits of it to her like it is in my head.
So my question to you lovely people is how can I explain it to her without getting too emotional or angry.

Hi nikki, how about showing your mum some of the posts on here. I know as a mother myself she would be worried but you are doing this for the right reasons and if it were that easy to lose the weight then I suppose none of us would be doing this. Good luck xxx

show her the before and after pics! good luck :) xxx

Hi Nikki,

I can really relate to you on all accounts here.. I am having a band and everytime i talk to my mum about it she cries and says that I can loose the weight with out getting to this point. She also thinks I am lovely the way i am.This is easy for her to say as she has never had a weight problem, she has always been a size 8 to 10.. I have always been the pretty faced daughter but shame she is so fat...
I have had to start being stronger and act differently about this situation with my mum and have had to say this is my life and rather than being negative I would appreciate your support on this. Would you rather me live my life being miserable, unhealthy and putting my self in a life threatning positition of being so over weight?

My mum will always say but i think you can do this without surgery because she is scared for me but I am 38 and as much as I love my mum, this is my life and i need to do whats best for me and I belive that this is the first step to sucsess, stop worrying about upsetting everyone else and finally think what do I want and what is going to make me happy. The op you choose is not an easy choice its the help you in changing your diet and exercise routine.

Good luck and always here to chat you are not alone in this

Jane x

Tell her without restriction you will just eat more get,fat again and yoyo dieting is very bad for your metabolism.
Yes you can regain with surgery but its there as a tool to keep you on the straight and narrow also your stomach will only absorb some of the food and calories,hence malabsorbtion and the need for lifelong supplements.Its hard but so worth it and she will have a healthy happy daughter for a lot longer!

My mum would say the same. Still does and I'm four months post op. I've had a best possible results do far and she's still worried. It's a mum thing. And what you have to remember is that they feel guilty too. They struggle with that as well as the need for a more drastic life threatening approach. My mum will never I suspect be happy with my decision despite the fact that I've lost almost a third of my body weight already. And thats something I just have I accept.

I didn't tell my Mum before. I saw her last week and fessed up then as I was staying at her house for a week. She then went the other way and started saying 'don't lose too much'! Can't win with my Mum. She took it better than I thought she would but I'm sure I'll get an earful each time I see her now, at least we live 200 miles apart so it's not that often. I do love my Mum, but she drives me nuts!

My Mum has been a rock throughout all this. She lives 200 miles from me, too but we chat on Skype and on the phone. She'll be looking after me in my home post-op for a week (I live alone) and is being very encouraging.
I understand that not all folks will see this the same way that we do, as a tough but life-changing and life-saving choice, as a tool to help weight loss and NOT as a punishment to them for over-feeding us or messing up our relationships with food!
I'm not telling my Dad (mum & dad divorced when I was very small) until he notices my weight loss. He'd be very judgemental and try to throw money at the problem.
You're an adult, sometimes you have to defy your parents!

My mum definitely first blame herself it's all my fault and I know thus I just think that I need to give her the facts as I know them rather than getting emotional I have no doubt in my mind that I want this op to help me on my wl journey I just want to ease the doubts in my mums mind before they start creeping into my own. But thank you all for sharing it's nice to know I'm not alone. X

Back