• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Running before I can walk. Tummy tuck???

Boblatina

Another day, another pointless (well definitely premature!) thought is whizzing round my overactive brain.

I haven't had the date for my op yet and I am acutely aware that it might all go wrong but I have been thinking about post-op today.

I am in my 40s and v overweight so the chances of my skin "snapping" back into sleek shape after surgery are none existent :cry:So, I have to come to terms with the question of what I will do in terms of my excess skin.

I have read about tummy tucks etc but the question I have is a funding one. You see, we are hoping to move from London to South Wales - we have delayed moving until after my operation because we know that Wales has limited (ie pretty much non-existent) funding :cry:

But what is the general view of PCTs in South Wales re post weight-loss cosmetic surgery? (We are looking at Cardiff/Vale of Glamorgan)

I am expecting that I would have to fund it myself which would be do-able but very difficult as although I have a good job my OH isn't working and the chances of him getting another job are very slim. So any help would be very welcome.

Can anyone help?

love

TillyBob

Another day, another pointless (well definitely premature!) thought is whizzing round my overactive brain.

I haven't had the date for my op yet and I am acutely aware that it might all go wrong but I have been thinking about post-op today.

I am in my 40s and v overweight so the chances of my skin "snapping" back into sleek shape after surgery are none existent :cry:So, I have to come to terms with the question of what I will do in terms of my excess skin.

I have read about tummy tucks etc but the question I have is a funding one. You see, we are hoping to move from London to South Wales - we have delayed moving until after my operation because we know that Wales has limited (ie pretty much non-existent) funding :cry:

But what is the general view of PCTs in South Wales re post weight-loss cosmetic surgery? (We are looking at Cardiff/Vale of Glamorgan)

Can anyone help?

love

TillyBob

Correct me if im wrong but I didn't think we could get cosmetic surgery on the NHS unless it was a matter of life & death etc not vanity reasons. im sure i'll be the same, 3 pregnancies 2 massive babies my tummy was stretched to the point of no return :giggle:
Also i've watched tummy tucks on sky and I really dont think I could put myself through it it looks so painful :eek:

Hi

There is a sub forum on advice on plastic surgery after weight loss in this section of minis. You might get some answers on there.

Correct me if im wrong but I didn't think we could get cosmetic surgery on the NHS unless it was a matter of life & death etc not vanity reasons. im sure i'll be the same, 3 pregnancies 2 massive babies my tummy was stretched to the point of no return :giggle:
Also i've watched tummy tucks on sky and I really dont think I could put myself through it it looks so painful :eek:
From a post on the cosmetic surgery sub site on here

" It's hard to answer about criteria since each and every PCT is different. However, the main similarity being that you usually need to have dropped down so many points on the BMI scale to a certain BMI (some state you need to be BMI 27 and some state BMI 25). Also, some say you need to have maintained this drop for 6 months and some say for 2 years."

The criteria appears to be generally whether you have genuine physical/psycholgical needs for the operation - eg if you have a grossly dropped "apron" post surgery which is causing skin ulcers etc - as opposed to simple "cosmetic reasons". So no hope for getting your bingo wings done on the NHS.

And the problem on top of all this is that some PCTs fund no cosmetic surgery at all (unless it's facial reconstruction etc)

Apparently, the going rate for a tummy tuck is between £8k and 10k ++ so I reckon that if I move to Wales I either save like a demon or get used to carrying round an apron with extra stones of spare immovable flesh :cry:

love

TillyBob

I am expecting that I would have to fund it myself which would be do-able but very difficult as although I have a good job my OH isn't working and the chances of him getting another job are very slim. So any help would be very welcome.

Can anyone help?

love

TillyBob

Hi Tilly

Just a thought, but once you get approval for WLS is there any harm in asking to be referred to a cosmetic surgeon in anticipation...as you say, you doubt very much that the skin will spring back!...I don't think it will hurt to ask.

2bandliz knows for sure, but I think you have to wait 18 months to 2 years after WLS to then have a tuck....Asking to be referred now, just shortens the waiting list for you.

So you're off to Wales... You must be thinking of the near future...Good luck.

My husband and I are going back to live in USA, but not for at least 3 - 5 years.......(Got my heart set on Virginia).

When are you back at KCH?...(sounds like a chicken joint...lol)

(((hugs)))

I was told you could get refered for a tummy tuck on the nhs, if it was detrimental to your well being ie you are so depressed and feel it is a great hinderance to you by way of skin fold infections etc.Depending on your pct of course.I was offered one years ago if I lost weight and kept it off.Which I never did.My tum has hung past my Fanjita for 30 years!!God I wonder what it looks like!!LOL
Also my tummy muscles were not sewn back properly after two c sections and a hysterectomy,I have a hernia and lower back probs because of the pull on my tum.Hope they will still do it after wls.

Hi

There is a sub forum on advice on plastic surgery after weight loss in this section of minis. You might get some answers on there.
Unfortunately, not a lot of traffic on there and I know that there are some very well-informed South Walians on here ;)

love

TillyBob

Funnily enough at our support group meeting last night one of the things discussed was plastic surgery.
We were told that few PCTs will fund now. That plastic surgeons will not even see people (unless private) until they are down to between 25 and 27 BMI and then it is now few and far between. They said it is not a guarantee to be able to have the surgery after weight loss.
This was Luton, dont know if this will help.
They also said the last thing we should be thinking about before our op or during our weight loss is plastic surgery, to concentrate on our journey as we go and then two years down the line when it is likely we have lost all we are going to this is the time to think of surgery if that is what we want, but again reiterated it was not guaranteed the PCTs still need to approve and fund

Jay xx

So you're off to Wales... You must be thinking of the near future...Good luck.

My husband and I are going back to live in USA, but not for at least 3 - 5 years.......(Got my heart set on Virginia).

When are you back at KCH?...(sounds like a chicken joint...lol)

(((hugs)))
The plan is that we will move to South Wales next year.

My OH is from Swansea and his mother is rather poorly so us being within 30miles rather than 300 is much better all round. Added to which, we both love the Vale and have some very good friends there.

Both of us agree that London is great to live in for a bit but is no place to grow old in :cry:

I am still waiting for news from KCH :cry:(or the fried chicken shack as I will now have to call it :) ) It is driving me mad AND I have a week off work AND I have started a diet so I am impatient and bored and obsessed with my surgery (hence all the niggly questions that I keep posting)

Good luck with Mr Patel when you see him on Friday.

love

TillyBob

Funnily enough at our support group meeting last night one of the things discussed was plastic surgery.
We were told that few PCTs will fund now. That plastic surgeons will not even see people (unless private) until they are down to between 25 and 27 BMI and then it is now few and far between. They said it is not a guarantee to be able to have the surgery after weight loss.
This was Luton, dont know if this will help.
They also said the last thing we should be thinking about before our op or during our weight loss is plastic surgery, to concentrate on our journey as we go and then two years down the line when it is likely we have lost all we are going to this is the time to think of surgery if that is what we want, but again reiterated it was not guaranteed the PCTs still need to approve and fund

Jay xx
Thanks for this Jay. Although it relates to a different part of the country it is very useful - even if it does confirm what I think I knew :cry:

I know that this is putting the surgery cart before the horse but I have always been a planner - you should have been around when I was planning my wedding!

love

TillyBob

The plan is that we will move to South Wales next year.

My OH is from Swansea and his mother is rather poorly so us being within 30miles rather than 300 is much better all round. Added to which, we both love the Vale and have some very good friends there.

Both of us agree that London is great to live in for a bit but is no place to grow old in :cry:

I am still waiting for news from KCH :cry:(or the fried chicken shack as I will now have to call it :) ) It is driving me mad AND I have a week off work AND I have started a diet so I am impatient and bored and obsessed with my surgery (hence all the niggly questions that I keep posting)

Good luck with Mr Patel when you see him on Friday.

love

TillyBob

Thank you sweety

I'm probably not going to see him as he does not start his clinics until the afternoon....but we are going to ask the registrar if there is a possibility of being squeezed in with him later on...

I do doubt he will see us later as the secretary said that this Friday was going to be a super busy clinic session...but she also said that all the registrars and Mr Patel will convene later on to discuss all the cases....so maybe no answers for me yet...but we will try to see him anyway.

What day does Ms Chang run her clinics?

(((hugs)))

My funding letter from Nottinghamshire PCT does acknowledge that I will be considered for skin removal but only once my consultant is satisfied with sufficient weight loss. To be honest though, even my GP was shocked at this so I presume it may be new??
I am not thinking about that yet though cos, as already said by others, it is such a huge journey I am beginning and I will become "fixated" with that at a later date. A girl can only have so many "fixations" in her life!!!! x

Down in the sarf (or London via the Whittington). We have to be at goal for about 2 years and then we are put forward for one cosmetic surgery procedure on the NHS but we have to have a psych consultation as part of the process of deciding. NHS say they will only fund one procedure but I know a lady who is having a tummy tuck and her arms done at the same time at the end of this month. Look, you are talking a minimum 18 months to 2 years from now before you are ready for cosmetic surgery so who knows what will happen! You could win the lottery or PCT rules could change!

I do doubt he will see us later as the secretary said that this Friday was going to be a super busy clinic session...but she also said that all the registrars and Mr Patel will convene later on to discuss all the cases....so maybe no answers for me yet...but we will try to see him anyway.

What day does Ms Chang run her clinics?

(((hugs)))
Not sure what day she runs her clinics as such (I went on a Wednesday as part of the general pre-surgery clinics - I was one of about 10 on her specific list but looking around there was no one else there who was obviously a candidate for Bariatric surgery.

I have always had my other clinics as part of the Obesity Clinic (room 3(?) Ground Floor Golden Jubilee wing) on a Friday afternoon, but the man I have seen there is a medic rather than a surgeon (Mr Choudhary) who is my hero because he was the one who pleaded my case to the MDT.

Not very much help am I? :eek:

Fingers crossed for you

love

TillyBob

Look, you are talking a minimum 18 months to 2 years from now before you are ready for cosmetic surgery so who knows what will happen! You could win the lottery or PCT rules could change!
I know - I have been convinced that I am OWED a lottery win for months now, so it has got to happen soon ;)

love

TillyBob

I am not thinking about that yet though cos, as already said by others, it is such a huge journey I am beginning and I will become "fixated" with that at a later date. A girl can only have so many "fixations" in her life!!!! x
Well, you are not trying hard enough then ;););)

Don't forget, a girl cannot have too many obsessions or handbags :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

love

TillyBob

Will be amazed if Wales will fund it, they seem prehistoric in their funding policies! Here in Wirral, they fund tummy tucks but the criteria are quite strict. To find out for any PCT, just contact them (or PALS) and ask for their funding policy on Low Clinical Priority procedures, in particular aponectomys.

i had a nhs tummy tuck 2 years ago, i was lucky as my area fund this for wls patients that meet there targets after 2 years, other areas are not as lucky as the patients here in the north east as plastics is rareley funded else where, but its deffo worth an ask.

liz x

Back