• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rusty's TT Journey

Rustyangel

I have been incredibly lucky to have my TT funded by the NHS. I managed to lose over 8.5 stone through Slimming World and exercise, had a very supportive GP and somehow applied just in time before the local PCT merged with another one and announced that they are no longer funding this kind of surgery. From application to op took almost exactly one year.

My op took place last Thursday afternoon at St Georges Hospital in London. It was a fairly straightforward hip-to-hip inscision and my bellybutton was moved. The surgeon also did a small amount of muscle repair and removed my cesarean scar. When I was drawn-on by the surgeon beforehand, the amount of skin to be removed was equivalent to a 2 dimensional rugby ball (if that makes sense!).

By 7pm I was out of recovery and on a ward. I don't do well on morphine or codeine (they make me very sick) so have been managing on paracetamol and ibuprofen since coming-round. Not being able to stomach decent pain relief has meant that pain has been a big problem but the flip side of this is that I have been able to get up and about quicker and felt more alert so was allowed home on Saturday. Having the drains removed before I left for home was by far the worst part and I can't understand why they don't allow you to have gas and air at least! Let's just say the air turned blue!:sign0007:

Anyway, I seem to be doing ok. It's hard to say what it will look like once settled, especially as an over-keen nurse applied giant steri-strips, then several layers of medical dressings, then several layers of cling-film-type dressing, so I am wrapped up like an M&S sandwich!! I can see that my overhang is gone though, so I am chuffed about that already. I'm finding it hard to get comfortable, especially at night, mainly because my back is killing me, but thankfully I invested in a rubber ring to sit on during the day which has helped massively. I'm finding it very frustrating already to sit still and do nothing much...I'm such a fidget ar*e normally!

My appointment to return to the plastics dressings clinic isn't until this Friday so I am off to the docs in a mo just to get the dressings checked and to discuss a certificate for work.

Wishing you all well on a lovely sunny London morning.

Debs xx

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
thats amazing Debs :) good luck with it all, a neew woman :) xxx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Debs

Well done on the fantastic weight loss!

Im glad the TT went ok and wish you a speedy recovery x

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Excellent news
:happy096:
I have just been granted funding for a tummy tuck (with a hernia repair) and a boob job. So I want to know every thing :D

Rustyangel

Thanks all of you! Well done on getting funding Lamornamiss. I'm not sure what else you should expect from the addition of hernia repair but if I can help with any questions you have, fire away!

Debs xxxx

Rustyangel

It's been a roller coaster of a week and I wasn't prepared for the emotional ups and downs following surgery. In the last few days I have gone from giggling at a film so much that I had to switch it off (laughing hurts) to crying like a baby because I've been in pain and can't get comfortable.

With each passing day I have noticed improvements but I'm so glad I quit the fags several months before my op (coughing is not easy!) and that I worked hard to get myself fit beforehand too as I'm sure these factors are helping loads with my healing.

Off to M & S to invest in some more support garments today !

Have a good day.

Debs xxx

Last edited:

Rustyangel

It's two weeks today since my TT op and I've just got back from having a check-up my the nurse at my GP's. Most of the wound has healed ok buy one part is still a bit oozy and so is my belly-button. She has given me antibiotics as a precaution, done swabs and put iodine dressings on so hopefully should see an improvement after the weekend.

Swelling is still a huge problem and by the end of the day I feel like I've been inflated by a bicycle pump!

Feeling fed-up with being so inactive now but taking it easy as I overdid things a couple of days ago and felt like rubbish yesterday because of it.

Enjoy the sunshine everyone.

Debs xxx

Rustyangel

It's just over ten weeks since my op now and I'm doing great, although I must admit it has taken me longer than I thought to recover from the surgery. In my head I held onto the six week marker given by the hospital so was disappointed not to be dashing around as normal by then (i'm an impatient patient!). The scar is purple and ugly at the mo but apparently this is the time it will look it's worst. I'm back to running which is good as I'm training for a half marathon in February but I still don't feel up to doing anything involving abs muscles.
I'm still swelling up by the end of the day (especially in the groin area for some reason) and still have a small seroma which is slowly going away, so I am still wearing the compression garment. I think wearing the spanx has become a bit of a comfort blanket! I'm pleased with the results and will post some photos at some stage.

Debs xxx :)

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Nice to see that you are doing so well Debs

The recovery time is the bit that worries me the most especially at this time of the year, If its icy I won't go out incase I go ass over elbow. I am having an incisional hernia repair at the same time as my TT and am worried incase I rupture it and have to have it done again.

Rustyangel

Hi Wendy

I'm not sure about how much a hernia repair will affect recovery but my advice would definitely be to play it safe. I felt quite vulnerable for a week or two just from the TT but plenty of rest paid dividends in the end. We had to look at high schools for my son in the week after my op so I borrowed a wheelchair and my hubby pushed me! I wasn't up to the walking and it meant I could still get out and about and stopped me going stir crazy!

Debs xxxx

judybrowneyes

Hi Debs, really pleased to hear how you are getting on and cant wait to see your photos. Very impressed that you are back to running that is incredible well done....as for me Mr S wants me to appeal via GP as he feels i need the other surgery and feels to do the apronectomy without addressing the other issues is not right and he wants to do a lower body lift rather than doing the tummy then going back for a couple more operations....so waiting on his letter...do we know anyone who has successful appealed against decision not to agree to skin reduction surgery?

Jinjanut

Hi Debs, congrats on your weight loss and TT. I lost 8 stone last year and had a TT on Friday. I watch what I eat - eat healthy but since the op I have been very weak and more hungry than at all in the last year. Is this normal. My last surgery was a gastric bypass which was done via keyhole - that seemed better than this time which seems to have knocked me for six!

Rustyangel

Hi Jinjanut
Well done on your weight loss too!
The TT is a major op with a big incision and major trauma internally so try to give yourself some time to get over it and be gentle with yourself. It's bound to have knocked you for six and it did me too. I didn't feel like my old self for a good few weeks. I think the hunger is just your body's way of demanding extra nutrients etc to help you heal and recover blood pressure but as long as you eat healthily it won't matter too much. When I had mine done, I went from being very active to doing nothing over the six week recovery period so I was panicking about putting weight back on but I didn't. Even if you do, I'm sure you will shift it once you are properly back on your feet. Take it slow hon and don't expect too much from yourself.

Debs xxx

I hope you're not in too much discomfort and are healing nicely.

judybrowneyes

ho debs fially had my lower bod lift and arms almost 3 weks ago and feel zonked most of the time, mind you hd to go back to theatre a week later with haemotma think they put me back on warfarin too quick as it set up a bleed..how long did it take for the timmy swelling to settle omg my scar feel;s so tight ...to be expected i know ....but so far i feel pleased with results no hanging tummy and bum loland no bingo wings or chicken wings lol hope you are feeling well