• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rules for TT on nhs?

gillianr2

Hi, I wondered what the general rules are for getting a TT on the NHS? I.e. do you have to have a certain bmi, have maintained weight loss for x amount of time, have lost a certain amount of weight??

I have just started to lose weight now and have a long journey ahead of me and live in Scotland, my gp said at the end of it all he will try his best to get me a TT but basically not to hold my breath as there never has been a budget for it in my area.

What's a tt? Is that tummy tuck?

It may depend on your area. Down here, they apparently ask you to sign a form saying that you won't ask for plastic surgery of any sort after the op. However, there are ways around that - it can be done for medical reasons (including psychological). I know someone who is actually having an apronectomy today, she has lots of excess skin which does cause her some problems - especially in warm weather.

Hi

Every PCT has its own rules but mine says that have to have lost four and a half stone and you didn't have NHS funding for your surgery, they will pay for one but not both.

As said the rules are not set in stone, if you need the excess skin removed because it is giving you health issues it can be done.

Paul

My pct say bmi 27 and maintain for 2 yrs. I have been at bmi of 28 since November and just can't budge. Pre op my bmi was 55-60 but they still say no. I now have myself a skin tin where I save £2 coins.

Sorry I haven't came back to this before now, thanks for all the replies.

I asked my dr (again) about this a few weeks ago and he said no, I wont get one. There has never been a budget for it and it's plastics :(

A couple of years ago he said never say never I might have a chance at apronectomy but now it's just a no. I'll never afford it privately and don't have the credit rating to pay it up. It's kind of put me off even losing the weight now as I know my tummy will get worse.

Well I sympathise with you I am in the same boat there is no way i dould ever afford to have a tummy tuck or apronectomy, bust lift just not an option have now last a total of 91/2 stone altogether since the sart of my journey and i have some loose skin but through exercising for years it could have been a whole lote worse than it is By ther time i have finished losing the weight I may need help but was told it wouldnt be available so I have resigned myself to the fact. x

Well Gill I thought I would deffo need a tummy tuck but to be honest I never think about it since losing 7st.Ok its hanging but not digustingly so,I couldnt wear a bikini but look ok in clothes.I am a lot older at 57 and had 3 kids two c sections and a hysterectomy!My starting bmi was 47.

I don't mind the skin that I have even if it's a lot the only thing that bothers me is when I'm having a wee on the toilet, the flow now comes through the gap in between the toilet and toilet seat lol I'm sick of changing pants and washing the wee up off the toilet floor :( think the only thing that's going to rectify it is a tummy tuck. Never had this problem before and it does need sorted just hoping they are not going to make me wait the 2 years post op, hope everyone who needs one managed to get help as it's not just for cosmetic reasons that we need it x x x

It's such a shame we can't get one on the NHS. I guess though in my case it's not their fault I am the way I am. I gained all the weight quickly, I had 2 single pregnancies within a couple of years of eachother both c-sections and then a twin pregnancy 2yrs later, again a c-section and just piled on weight. I now have to lose it all but my belly is making me really depressed (the overhang is really very bad and hides all of my pubis). It's painful and warm and I get skin infections but my gp still saying I just wont get one as it's plastics I would need to go private which i will never be able to have :( it's a vicious circle of wanting to lose the weight but being put off because the overhang could actually end up even worse than it is now :(

Well he may or not be right. I have 9 GP partners and the chances of any of the 9 of them knowing what the criteria for low priority treatments are is zippo unless they (a) happen to have asked me (b) done one in the last month or so or (c) have a special interest in that area. To give them their due they have to deal with so many patients and so many rules from the PCT they are not likely to know off the top of their head unless a-c applied or to avoid having to spend time finding out or because of false beliefs or prejudices.

You can best find out by asking the PALS officer at the PCT what your local criteria is and always ask for a full copy of it in writing. Then sorry there is another layer now ask who is your local commisioning goup and who to contact there as they take over from April 2013 in making these decisions (PCTs disappear) and as we are almost halfway through the financial year and this is a lengthy process this is likely to be the year you get caught between 2 stools anyway. Then get their criteria if they have it ready (they should!!) Then read them both and if you feel you meet the criteria then go back to your GP armed with them both and ask him or her to apply and what s/he needs you to provide in support of his referral and how long it will be before it is ready for dispatch, ask to be copied in on the letter. Allow the time they say plus say a week for reasonable tolerance, then check they have done it, complain to their practice manager if they haven't and keep on the case. Then check the PCT have received it and when they will action it and repeat until you have your answer. Then appeal if you get turned down.

DO NOT believe the rubbish that once GPs get in the so called driving seat as commisioners of services in April anything will change because they are closer to understanding what their patients want. All that is happening is that the same old health managers are all moving round again into a different named organisation. Just this time GPs have been set into place by the government propaganda machine ready to take all the flak away from them. In reality many of them hate the idea and are only too glad to abandon the pretence of managing to people who read government jargon and management speak. These readily adopt new hats for each change whilst pushing on with more of the same cuts necessary to run an increasingly underfunded health service serving a population with less personal resources but ever spiraling expectations of their health care.

Oops soap box time...but you get the gist of what to do never take no for an answer from a GP they may not know.

Good luck

I don't mind the skin that I have even if it's a lot the only thing that bothers me is when I'm having a wee on the toilet, the flow now comes through the gap in between the toilet and toilet seat lol I'm sick of changing pants and washing the wee up off the toilet floor :( think the only thing that's going to rectify it is a tummy tuck. Never had this problem before and it does need sorted just hoping they are not going to make me wait the 2 years post op, hope everyone who needs one managed to get help as it's not just for cosmetic reasons that we need it x x x
Cant you just sort of hold it up when your on the toilet?
Im not too bothered about a flappy tummy, those all in one things in debenhams really hold it in so i will just wear them till the day i die!!

Kim

Oh thanks so much for all the info, really interesting stuff! I'm in Scotland though and I *think* that the rules here are meant to be pretty relaxed and follow the original NICE guidelines so in theory it should be alot easier here. But in reality my Dr said they in my area have never had funding for plastics and very unlikely they ever will now with recession. He said it's basically vanity (but in a nicer way!) that I want it for so I would need to go private :( years ago (before the twin pg and 3rd section) another gp told me that there was a chance I would get one because my tummy muscles have split after the first 2 sections, he called it an apronectomy.

Hey,

I'm also in Scotland and I know for definate one of my friends was given a tummy tuck on the nhs because she had twins she played the depressed cards, to be fair she wasn't even fat just had an over hang from the twins , I also have another friend who's had a boob job on nhs buy when i tried to get one i was told the same story as you, so think it may just depend on your doctor xxx

Back