• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

salad

hopelesscase

Im now five weeks post bypass and wondering if and when i can start introducing salad.

I was on a training course today and it was abuffet lunch which was fine just raided the salmon out of the sandwiches had 1/2 an egg and a little cheese but there was a lovely looking chopped salad and i was so tempted but wont try anything new till i have had it at home first.

Not got brave enough to try bread, past or rice yet and still eating fairly soft things. Finding it easier to eat 3 times a day with at least 1 milky drink in between.

last weeks people may remember i didnr loose any weight although the health benifits far outweigh the scales but just to let peeps know ot to panic if you dont loose one week as this week i have lost 6 lbs.

I have worn a shirt today that never fitted me comfortably when i bought it but it does now.

Hope everyone else has had a good week and here is to next
HC

great loss HC :) Not sure on the salad, watch out for skins on things such as tomato, peppers, cucumber etc. I'm fine with spinach and lettuce, and grated carrot, oh and sweetcorn. Thats about the extent of my salad eating though

Hi HC. I had the herbed lettuce greens from a bag yesterday with some tuna on top. Lovely. I had them again today with a diced tomato and had no problems. Good luck with it.;)

I've been eating tomato, avocado, peppers (cooked), for a while now. Funnily enough, i'm more worried about trying lettuce!!

Well done on the weight loss so far. I know what you mean about getting stuck, cause i didn't lose weight for two weeks, and then over the last 7 days i've lost over 9lbs.

According to my Gastric Bypass guide, given to me by the hospital, I am not supposed to be tackling salad until 4 months.

It says:

Soft diet: Stage 3 (weeks 5 & 6 post-op)

All foods previously tolerated, tofu, fish and seafood, thinly sliced deli turkey or ham and other luncheon meats, slices of low fat cheese, unsweetened canned or cooked fruit, potatoes, squash, unsweetened cereal with skim milk, boiled chicken in broth (cut into small pieces) crisp toast and crackers, beans and peas, well cooked pasta, and lean, ground turkey and beef.

2 months: Diced poultry (no skin) Vegetable burgers, soft cooked vegetables, soft fruits (peaches, plums, watermelon, honeydew)

3 months post-op: Rice, soft-bread, lean and moist meat and poultry

4 months: Veal, Crunchy fruits and vegetables, including salad

6 months: Beef and pork (choose poultry and fish more often)

thanks for the info AF. Got good info just doesnt mention salad and it looked so good yesturday.
you are all doing fab
hc

HC, our sheets say that salad is part of level 3 solid foods, which is the last part of transition. That is where I am right now in week 6, just finished with level 2 (level 1 seems to be really part of soft foods which we have both done), now starting on level 3. Haven't had any problems. But level 3 has toast (yikes), rice (double yikes) & pasta (ummm???). You should feel free to experiment with food but don't forget to try only one new thing at a time so if you get sick you know what caused it:).

I find that I can eat the skins on anything, but cant be bothered to peel tomatoes, so just spit out the skin after chewing. One thing that really makes me sick is iceburg lettuce...I can eat other kinds, but I think due to the iceburg being quite fibouros (sp), I cant keep it down!

Gosh all this seems so far away for me. People that had their surgeries close to mine all seem so much further ahead than me. I'm 3 weeks and 2 days post surgery and am still on the liquid stage. I'm living on slim fast shakes, water and pureed things like sweet potato and butternut squash or carrots and swede pureed up.

I think another one of the problems with me is that my surgery was a revision of a stomach stapling surgery 10 years ago that went wrong and I'm very conscious of the fact that I was unable to eat most foods for the last ten years... no meat, chicken, rice, salad, chips.. the list goes on, so I'm scared to start trying firmer foods as I remember the pain I was in from my previous surger. My surgeon tells me that I have a brand new bypass now so I should be able to progress as all the other bypassers but habits are very hard to change I guess.:(

HC,

I am sitting here trying to imagine you eating that salad! You naughty girl.

As for me I am still pre op, pre funding , pre everything so I am still on a diet of chips and chocolate wink wink. Only joking. I am just trying to stay jolly as all Fat ladies should be.

Congratulations on managing your diet so well. This is something I am worried about. I am not really self disciplined so having to stick to a strict diet will be very hard for me. I hope I can be strong enough. As you said before it is your health that is most important and not the weight loss. Talking of that i want to go on a diet but I am afraid I will not get my funding. I don't know what to do. 58 lb is a fantastic weight loss, people must really be able to see you changing at this point. Have you lost that since the bye pass or is that in total?

If I get my funding next week i will be going on a BIG diet!!!! fingers crossed HC.

Three months post op and only tried salad about 10 weeks in. I can eat everything seem to have developed a liking for tomato's (never liked too much before) but everything goes down as long at it is chewed and for a food that has little substance and is watery lettuce takes me ages to chew. Had raw onions since about week 6. The spicer the food the better my stomach tolerates it=very strange.

Loll my stomach is the same, anything bland and it rebels....I had some low fat salad cream and I just did not like the taste at all....what did they do to our taste buds lol...xx

Back