• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

salmon question!

yellowrose

Hi all. I'm three weeks post op.
I made salmon for tea but found it really difficult to break down when chewing. I found it just chewed down into a solid dry lump. Does anybody have difficulty with this? It's poached salmon, (flakes easy) and I've got a sauce and mashed veg too. Not sure if I should be swallowing it this firm. Any suggestions.. lol

I couldn't eat Salmon for 2 years post op, just couldn't face it, now its fine, go figure

3 weeks out is quite early for salmon I would have thought, as it is quite a firm fish. I am just over 2 weeks out and can manage a bit of grilled seabass which is a very soft fish. Salmon for me, will be eaten weeks 5-6 according to my team. Xx

If you cook the salmon for less time so that it is still pink in the middle it won't go dry and woolly. The other way to cook it is to confit it in oil, it doesn't absorb the oil so no extra cals. The oil temperature needs to be blood temp so stick your finger in to make sure it's not too hot and cook for 15 mins. The result is not only soft and moist but it will be the best salmon you have ever tasted.

i have found salmon one of the more difficult fish to digest, maybe stick to white fish during this early stage as it flakes and tends to digest more easily than salmon.

I wasn't able to eat fish at from when I first banded its always been on my cant do list (which varys from person to person) so id say take kats advice and try a softer fish and also maybe miniscule amounts on your fork to make sure it breaks down enough as you really don't want to get it stuck

Thanks for replies guys,

To answer butterflyinprogess I had a band.

I don't think the problem was how I cooked the fish, it was very soft, as it was poached. I guess I never really chewed thoroughly before having my band.

I was only eating miniscule amounts at a time, and to start with it felt like it melted in my mouth, was delish! But then I found the more I chewed the drier it became. (Similar to the texture of wet toilet tissue having been squeezed out) :/

I did manage to eat it, nothing got stuck.
I did find it tiresome actually!

I'm going to try cod in a sauce tonight.

Apart from post surgery pain/wind pain I have been okay, especially with food. I have never felt nauseous or been sick.

I totally agree its differs from person to person, so bit of trial and error I guess? Xx

Thanks for replies guys,

To answer butterflyinprogess I had a band.

I don't think the problem was how I cooked the fish, it was very soft, as it was poached. I guess I never really chewed thoroughly before having my band.

I was only eating miniscule amounts at a time, and to start with it felt like it melted in my mouth, was delish! But then I found the more I chewed the drier it became. (Similar to the texture of wet toilet tissue having been squeezed out) :/

I did manage to eat it, nothing got stuck.
I did find it tiresome actually!

I'm going to try cod in a sauce tonight.

Apart from post surgery pain/wind pain I have been okay, especially with food. I have never felt nauseous or been sick.

I totally agree its differs from person to person, so bit of trial and error I guess? Xx

its not so much a nausea sick feeling for me in the sense you have when ill I tend to get a build up of saliva burp a lot and if it really bad I just bring stuff up but its more regurgitating then vomiting. we all have different foods which are problematic my worst were chicken fish sausages no rice pasta or bread and apples and eggs , it is def trial and error but your find your way

Fish in sauce was one of my favourite post op / mushy stage meals. Also fish pie ie mash, fish and sauce.

I deffo think the fish in sauce will be 'easier', hope you enjoy it x

Also something that I eat on my mush stage now after my fills is ratatouille (tescos do a tin) and mix it with flaked white fish or open a tin of tuna and chuck it in, great mashed up, easy to go down, good protein, low fat . . .sorted :)

But yes its very much trial and error, you will also find you can eat one food one day, but not the next. I spent the first 6 months being able to eat anything and everything as I had no restriction, at my 4th fill it went the other way and I couldn't eat anything and spent 4 our of 6 weeks on and off liquids to try to get it to settle down, then literally overnight the restriction went again completely leaving me back to be able to eat anything!

You will learn to get used to the feelings, when things often get "clogged" rather than being stuck, often because you've eaten too fast or not chewed enough.

Lol you lot keep me company all the time, n Eurostar yesterday, they served salmon and I immediately thought of this thread! : D

Haha I love that!
I'm always telling friends family and the hubs about peoples experiences on here! Most things I say start of end with "well that's what it said on wls" lol

Back