• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Maria61

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you are all ok and Christmas food has not kicked you too much off track with your weight loss.

I haven't been on here for a while as life knocked me for six in October and the wheels fell off. Having started the Healthy Lifestyle course (but left early as the group scenario wasn't for me) and was even preparing and eating soup (unheard of!) I experienced a retraumatisation during my ASD assessment that totally flicked the switch on my brain overnight and all I could eat was bread and butter as my mental health was far from good. That then became crumpets and butter and chocolate. 'Work' also got in the way of getting to the pool so exercise also suffered. Result - over a stone gained in weight in less than 3 months.

Somehow over the Christmas period I managed to flick the switch again and have come back from being away with the desire to eat fish and green vegetables. So back to upping my protein and a resolution to do less voluntary work so I can get my control over my diary.

My ASD was inconclusive and I have a possible Asperger diagnosis although Aspergers is no longer a diagnosis under DSM V, which didn't help as it is harder to access any support. Waiting to hear if I am eligible for a second opinion. Also started testosterone in November as part of my gender transitioning. Weight gain can be a side effect but difficult to tell with everything else going on!

Saw dietitian in December and had a conversation about ASD and beige food. She suggested parsnips!! I have now done a self discharge from the surgeon as there is nothing else they can do as the actual surgery had gone very well and it is over 2 years.

Here's hoping 2019 is good for all of us.
Happy new year to you and good luck with getting back on track xxx

Sarnie

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you are all ok and Christmas food has not kicked you too much off track with your weight loss.

I haven't been on here for a while as life knocked me for six in October and the wheels fell off. Having started the Healthy Lifestyle course (but left early as the group scenario wasn't for me) and was even preparing and eating soup (unheard of!) I experienced a retraumatisation during my ASD assessment that totally flicked the switch on my brain overnight and all I could eat was bread and butter as my mental health was far from good. That then became crumpets and butter and chocolate. 'Work' also got in the way of getting to the pool so exercise also suffered. Result - over a stone gained in weight in less than 3 months.

Somehow over the Christmas period I managed to flick the switch again and have come back from being away with the desire to eat fish and green vegetables. So back to upping my protein and a resolution to do less voluntary work so I can get my control over my diary.

My ASD was inconclusive and I have a possible Asperger diagnosis although Aspergers is no longer a diagnosis under DSM V, which didn't help as it is harder to access any support. Waiting to hear if I am eligible for a second opinion. Also started testosterone in November as part of my gender transitioning. Weight gain can be a side effect but difficult to tell with everything else going on!

Saw dietitian in December and had a conversation about ASD and beige food. She suggested parsnips!! I have now done a self discharge from the surgeon as there is nothing else they can do as the actual surgery had gone very well and it is over 2 years.

Happy New year Sam, sorry to hear you've had a rough time, but pleased that you found your way back to healthy eating, that is the main thing. I hope the gender transition is going well and that 2019 will be good to you x

Bling Babe

It’s so great to hear from you Sam, wow you’ve been through it but I’m so pleased you’ve come out the other side with great intentions, it’s good that your making time for YOU, all too often we put ourselves last, I’m really pleased to hear that things are moving forward on the gender transition too because that’s can only help to improve your MH. You’ve done well to “flick that switch” over the Christmas period and change your nutritional intake, you’ll soon lose that gain xx

Emma1504

So great to hear from you
Sorry that you have been having such a hard time. MH is the pits but it sounds like you are coming through it.
That’s exciting news about your gender transition.
Looking forward to hearing from you again soon x

SAM55

Thanks everyone for your support - old friends and new. Will try and get round to catching up with your stories soon.

Friends 50th birthday party last night so still the temptations out there. :( Fortunately there was no sweet food but I did succumb to a second helping of vegetable enchiladas and falafels. First time I had tried pasta since op as it was one of my no, no's in case it got stuck (as was bread but that didn't work) and no side effects so need to watch that one now too!!

SAM55

Have been to the pool 5 times in the past 7 days, walking there and back and was doing well with what i was eating. Someone cancelled an appointment at the last minute for this afternoon, so hence had unexpected time on my hands, plus frustration that I would have had a wasted 30 mile journey had I not checked they were still coming and ended up buying chocolate and an iced coffee because I had to go out to the local shop and get some milk, rather than the supermarket trip I had planned elsewhere to kill two birds with one stone. :(

Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

Sarnie

Have been to the pool 5 times in the past 7 days, walking there and back and was doing well with what i was eating. Someone cancelled an appointment at the last minute for this afternoon, so hence had unexpected time on my hands, plus frustration that I would have had a wasted 30 mile journey had I not checked they were still coming and ended up buying chocolate and an iced coffee because I had to go out to the local shop and get some milk, rather than the supermarket trip I had planned elsewhere to kill two birds with one stone. :(

You're doing great with the exercise, don't be too down on yourself for a little blip, like you said new day tomorrow x

Bling Babe

Aw Sam how frustrating, one blip won’t do any harm...draw that line underneath that blip xx

SAM55

Well despite having done well with the content of my food this week, my snacking has been out of hand, plus there is still some Baileys around from Christmas and boy have I needed it this week! Once it is gone it is gone and then I can forget about it. Needless to say there was no loss and a minute gain. Note to self: it takes more than a week to get the head back in gear...

Made some big decisions this week about some parts of my life which have been stressing me for a few months, namely some of the voluntary work I do - needed the break away at Christmas to see the wood for the trees. Unfortunately i am one of those people who once they have made a decision want to implement it, but this is going to take a few weeks to to tie up loose ends. No doubt I will yo yo a bit then about whether it was the right choice.

Also received letter for my Gender Clinic assessment for end of Feb. Have been on waiting list since October 2017 for this - even WLS don't keep you waiting that long for a first appointment!! I am going to be requesting surgery and know that for them to agree to do it I will have to get my BMI down. It was just below the limit when the referral went in. Hopefully it will work the same as my knee op in the way of motivation!

Bling Babe

Well despite having done well with the content of my food this week, my snacking has been out of hand, plus there is still some Baileys around from Christmas and boy have I needed it this week! Once it is gone it is gone and then I can forget about it. Needless to say there was no loss and a minute gain. Note to self: it takes more than a week to get the head back in gear...

Made some big decisions this week about some parts of my life which have been stressing me for a few months, namely some of the voluntary work I do - needed the break away at Christmas to see the wood for the trees. Unfortunately i am one of those people who once they have made a decision want to implement it, but this is going to take a few weeks to to tie up loose ends. No doubt I will yo yo a bit then about whether it was the right choice.

Also received letter for my Gender Clinic assessment for end of Feb. Have been on waiting list since October 2017 for this - even WLS don't keep you waiting that long for a first appointment!! I am going to be requesting surgery and know that for them to agree to do it I will have to get my BMI down. It was just below the limit when the referral went in. Hopefully it will work the same as my knee op in the way of motivation!
Christmas and snacking are such an annoyance, so challenging, hopefully the appointment coming up will help you, I’ve no doubt it will, you’ve been through so much to get this far I’m certain you won’t let anything get in your way.
Good luck xx