• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Saw GP - been given Orlistat

Hello I dont remember if I mentioned it earlier in th ethread but I am on xenical - Orlistat and have been for over 4 yrs, I got pregnant with my son who is 2 next month after losing a couple of sone, went back after having my son to go back on them and my gp mentioned a band and said that she though i would be most suitable as i had tried all diets and also all pills available - reductil too which i had side effects with.
All I can say is do what this gp has said as even though you have been on orlistat it was some years ago, I do know that depending on your bmi, you have to have tried all tablets too.
Good luck and I too dont feel i eat that fatty foods but have to say i bloody hate being on xenical, they are not nice and you cant have a great life with them, on saturday night i had a plain chicken salad for tea and nothing all day, the next day i was going to one of my daughters friends parties, my belly was off all day and i was dreading having an "accident".
Good luck with them xxx
I am still on xenical and when i told my surgeon he looked at me as if to ask why , well why not if my gp prescribes them shouldnt i take them, the last thing i want before my op is putting more weight on. xx

Hi just wanted to say stick with whatever your told and stay positive, i too had been put on reductil then xenical (never eat cheese cake..trust me) sent to sleep clinic, then finally hospital dietician after two and a bit years after being turned down got accepted and got funding out of the blue, now had first appointment with Mr Super at hartlands and told by my consultant in worcester he expects me to be done and dusted before beginning of feb.... still awaiting date though so no holding my breath......
aaaaanyway point of this post be positive, be armed and do as your told it worked for me.

agree bullyfun, you just have to stick with what they say however much you dont want to, they have proceedures and reasons and just spend this time researching as much as possible so when th etime comes you know everything you need to know and they will know how commited you are. x

Thanks ladies... will pick up prescription tomorrow! I guess its all testing how committed we are like you say.

Thanks for all the info. x

Hi Linzi welcome to minis I went for a band and was asked to consider a bypass because of my diabetes etc and after reading researching and watching videos and speaking to all the lovely guys here I decided to go for it still pre op but hoping to have it done soon
Wishing you all the best with your journey

Jay xx

Im sorry your GP's stand in was not supportive, but if you are to take anything positive from the appointment, at least you will able to tick off that you have also tried pills to help you lose weight.

Do you know when your own GP is back? The GP may need to have pointed out to them that it wouldnt be them funding your surgery but the local PCT. If you meet your PCT's criteria then you are at least entitled to a referral.

Why not ring your PCT. Ask them for a copy of their written policy on bariatric surgery and then make another GP appointment when you have received that.

Thanks ladies... will pick up prescription tomorrow! I guess its all testing how committed we are like you say.

Thanks for all the info. x

Thanks LADIES...... ill have you know i'm a chap.... lol :mad:

haha Bullyfun, the pic does give it away lol x

lol Ditzee welcome to the WL part of Minis :D

As most have said before me, stick with whatever they give you and note it down, just incase your GP forgets. Note when you started and your wl on the pills.

All this info you gain will be ammo in the fight for your WLS.
Good luck and dont give up, fingers crossed your GP returns early :D

1st ly it depends on your pct for your area and obviously if you fit there criteria. I am from the blackpool area with a bmi of about 48 (I think it was) at the time and our pct fund your op with a bmi 35 with co-morbilities or 40 without. My bmi is 36ish now I think my op was the 10th July and I only waited 12 weeks from beginning to the end, but again this depends on your PCT area so please dont quote me on the time scale. I originaly went for the band but mr Ammori (manchester area) said the bypass was better for me due to the amount of weight I had to lose also I was a chocoholic LOL. But what you need to do is research! research! and more research! Hope this helps Gail.x

It really depends on how clued up your GP is initially.

My first attempt earlier this year was denied by the surgeon based on the sparce information my GP had written in the letter to his department. My GP failed to include my highest BMI before starting to lose weight and also my progress and other health ailments medications I had tried etc.....saying this my GP is usually quite good.

Thankfully I have access to gmc guidance and nice reports and therefore I returned to his clinic and had quite a long and heated conversation as I told him which Trust I wanted to go to and what he should write in the letter. When I spotted the letter he had sent the second time around it was quite lengthly in comparison to the two lines he had sent to the first surgeon.

As others have said it depends on your own PCT which is based on your area/postcode, however if your are being treated by another trust in a different PCT they may just apply their own rules as they have your cost code etc. Also some Trust have discreation and can fund you out of their own budgets or only partially charge your pct eg. just charge for care rather than care and treatment.

Back