• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Saw Surgeon Today

prmdc098

Appointment went well although seemed strange lol not sure why, just wasent what I was expecting, surgeon is doing the referral to the psychologist and I am to be moved from tier 3 to tier 4, also been told I need to wear my CPAP machine for at least 3 months before surgery (let it slip I don't wear it) also the only operation tayside offer is full rny bypass as all the others have not good enough results according to him

lots of providers within the NHS seem to see bypass as the gold standard of WLS nowadays.

Maybe they feel that the added malabsorption part of the surgery is key to good results??

some also like to do a 2 step sleeve to bypass in some heavier patients to really maximise the weight loss.

It seems the only surgery they don't seem to advocate quite so much is the gastric band amongst higher BMI patients ..

Do you know when roughly you will actually get your surgery?
Must be quite frustrating for you at times xx

Last edited:
lots of providers within the NHS seem to see bypass as the gold standard of WLS nowadays.

Maybe they feel that the added malabsorption part of the surgery is key to good results??

some also like to do a 2 step sleeve to bypass in some heavier patients to really maximise the weight loss.

It seems the only surgery they don't seem to advocate quite so much is the gastric band amongst higher BMI patients ..

Do you know when roughly you will actually get your surgery?
Must be quite frustrating for you at times xx
Hello, yes seems banding is just a no no for NHS trusts. I have no idea when I'll get a date I think it might be longer than thought though because of the sleep apnea. I didn't realise it was such a big thing. I might speak to my sleep consultant as I remember him saying my sleep apnea was very mild and would trial CPAP. Surgeon said they won't touch me unless my sleep apnea is well treated.

I call bulls**t on the others not having good enough results ;) I'm just a sleeve cheerleader.

Good to see there is progress for you and fingers crossed the next few months speed by for you :) good luck on your journey

I'm only going by what my surgeons have said to me and I actually Thought I would be offered the sleeve.

Which I might add I was super excited about as it's a fab surgery and gives brilliant results to most.

Have you seen the online calculator for starting weight , surgery and projected loss?

It was actually on here I think on someone's diary.

I put my band starting weight in and it was scarily accurate as to what my expected loss was and what I did actually lose.

When I had to have it removed and was revised to bypass I asked my surgeon why he felt the bypass was better for me.
He said that due to having a band for 10 years and only eating small amounts for so long that my base metabolic was so slow that he felt the added malabsorption part would be beneficial.

I never had a problem losing weight or maintaining with my band until it slipped and eroded into my stomach wall.

I was just one of the unlucky ones.
I always had pain where my port was positioned and I sometimes think my body just didn't like anything foreign being inside me..

We all have different experiences with our individual weighloss surgeries.
I personally can't advocate the band as obviously it caused a huge amount of damage to me in the end.
However it did give me fantastic weight loss when it was in the right position and had a spot on fill :)

Just had a look at your stats and you have done brilliantly !!
I can see why you're a cheerleader and rightly so x X

I'm only going by what my surgeons have said to me and I actually Thought I would be offered the sleeve.

Which I might add I was super excited about as it's a fab surgery and gives brilliant results to most.

Have you seen the online calculator for starting weight , surgery and projected loss?

It was actually on here I think on someone's diary.

I put my band starting weight in and it was scarily accurate as to what my expected loss was and what I did actually lose.

When I had to have it removed and was revised to bypass I asked my surgeon why he felt the bypass was better for me.
He said that due to having a band for 10 years and only eating small amounts for so long that my base metabolic was so slow that he felt the added malabsorption part would be beneficial.

I never had a problem losing weight or maintaining with my band until it slipped and eroded into my stomach wall.

I was just one of the unlucky ones.
I always had pain where my port was positioned and I sometimes think my body just didn't like anything foreign being inside me..

We all have different experiences with our individual weighloss surgeries.
I personally can't advocate the band as obviously it caused a huge amount of damage to me in the end.
However it did give me fantastic weight loss when it was in the right position and had a spot on fill :)

Just had a look at your stats and you have done brilliantly !!
I can see why you're a cheerleader and rightly so x X
Yeah I posted the expected losses in my diary too and it said I was meant to lose 80lb by one year if my starting weight was however much. Understand the reasons people have different things and completely agree that everyone's experience is different :)

I think this is the reason they are doing the band/bypass/sleeve study now to see the results from a range of different bmi's. I hated the idea of the sleeve I wanted the bypass because the weight loss percentage was higher etc. Wouldn't believe a word of it now looking at it. We definitely have to work with our tools so I think if we do that, barr any complications and the odd exception, there's no reason why they shouldn't work xx

Yeah I've already lost about 30lb more than I think the best prediction between the 3. I made my choice on the basis that malabsorption would mess with how I could absorb various medications plus the sleeve doesn't mess with the bowel/intestines bit and I already had problems there and surgery so wanted to leave them alone. I only found out post op that the sleeve is often not recommended if you have reflux type issues which I have but that wouldn't have changed my mind. I did try to stop medication after 3months and immediately had pain again but it's controlled effectively with tablets and one more pill to swallow wasn't an issue.

I guess predictions be it by our surgeons or internet calculators can only go on averages anyway can't they. Deep down I did wonder if I could really lose it all with a sleeve as opposed to a bypass but it seems I can :) You're totally messing with that expected loss too @starryeyed ;)

I think another reason is that it might be easier to go back to bad eating habits with a sleeve - less people dump, there are more slider foods that can be had - it can rely more on how the tool is used and how the person changes their lifestyle/eating habits long term.

But that might be cr*p as well......

No one can argue with the great results you guys are having with your sleeves!

That's kinda true as sleevers still have their pyloric valve/muscle.
It's the bypassing of it along with shortening the intestine to promote less absorbing of fats etc that causes dumping .
As there is no control over how quickly the stomach empties once your bypassed..
So I'm not sure if sleevers are actually dumping as such or experiencing something else???

Some people who are sleeved say it's like having a hypoglycaemic attack of some sort..

I don't have any sensitivity to fat or sugar so I don't dump even with a bypass ..
Which is a bit of a bugger as that was one of the reasons I actually liked the bypass as an option for me ..
The added security if you like that eating wrong foods would make me ill..
Didn't happen for me but the shortening of The intestinal limb further may well promote some sensitivity for me in the future.
Time will tell I suppose :)

Back