• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tier 3 - Medway Misery :-(

Aliphant1964

Hi everyone

I am still trying to find my way around this site and am struggling a bit because I am a bit dim when it comes to navigation! I have noticed some other members are from Medway but I haven't quite worked out how to say hello and view your profiles etc - but if you want to be my friend, that would be great! (I sound like the new girl on the first day at school!)

Anyway, my latest problem is I have been accepted for a gastric bypass operation by St Richard's in Chichester, but before they will add me to the surgery list I first have to complete 6 months worth of Tier 3 preparation - which includes 1:1 and group support around nutrition, exercise and the psychological aspects of preparing for bariatric surgery and adapting to life afterwards.

I have been told Kent County Council run an extremely good service called 4 healthy weight and Chichester have an extremely close working relationship with them. However, although I have lived in the county of Kent all my life, the Medway towns seem to be excluded from this and are treated as a separate entity - and they have their own healthy weight management service called Tipping The Balance. They offer support around diet and exercise, but they are not providing a comprehensive bariatric surgery program. I have also found out they do not deal with clients who have Diabetes -I am Type 2, or people with Coronary Ischemia - which is what my birth Mother died of.

So, the service I need won't accept me because they are not contracted to support clients in the Medway CCG - Clinical Commissioning Group catchment area, and my local provider in Medway won't deal with me because I am Diabetic - and I need a more specific service.

I have been told the only thing I can do is to persuade the Medway CCG to fund a referral just for me to be seen by 4 healthy weight for a 6 month period, or ask the CCG to commission 4 healthy weight to provide a service for the whole of the Medway CCG area!

I am extremely frustrated because until this matter is resolved and I can start the Tier 3 prep, I won't get the operation I need.

Has anyone else encountered the same problems? How did you get round it? Any advice or information would be very gratefully received!

Hi, I am a Medway dweller too! I am much newer to this than you, but am already facing difficulties with the Medway system.

It may be worth asking for a referral to the HALT team, they may be able to sign post you better. You can self refer too.
HALT

Hi, I am a Medway dweller too. I am new to the process as I was only referred on Friday although I am expecting issues. You can refer yourself to the health and lifestyle team which runs in Medway. It could potentially be of benefit to you. I am unable to post links sorry.

Hello also a newbie and from medway hi :) UNFORTUNATLY I have no advice or info for you but didn't want to read an run x I really hope you get things sorted and moving in the right direction x take care xxx

Im sorry, the system has all changed since I had funding. But I don't understand why tipping the balance would not qualify, as they refer many of their patients for funding successfully.

As there are quite a few of us from Medway at present. Would anyone be interested in an informal gathering?

Im sorry, the system has all changed since I had funding. But I don't understand why tipping the balance would not qualify, as they refer many of their patients for funding successfully.

As there are quite a few of us from Medway at present. Would anyone be interested in an informal gathering?
That would be really good - but I can't drive - due to my other health issues - so it would have to be at a date and time when I can get a lift - but I would definitely be interested in meeting up with the 'Medway Massive' - lol :)

Alison

PS. I am in Walderslade/Lordswood :)

Hiya - Im in Faversham, and had my op at St Richards. I cant give any advice, but just wanted to show you some support.
Hope you get things resolved very soon!

Back