• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

back from 2nd appointment at srh and fed up

rachaelh

well, i came, i saw and got no where near any further to the op. I had my appointment about 45 minutes late with the new surgeon, who as i am so cross at the minute i can't even remember the name of! who basically showed me a letter they are sending out to me telling me that they are advising I see a clinical psychologist before we go any further to see if they can figure out why i 'comfort eat', tbh it seemed like he was talking about someone else the way he was going on, and i pointed out to him that i disputed that i was a comfort eater, more of a convenience eater, i know exactly why i gained the weight, it was because up until december I had at least 7 takeaways a week, coupled with the lovely vending machine lunches at work it all adds up and equals fat rachael. He agreed with me that it seemed like the appointment was not necessary given the amount of weight i'd lost since the last appointment but that i would have to go anyway as 'the wheels were now in motion for the appointment' (however this bl**dy appointment is going to take a minimum of 2-3 months (his estimate) and in the mean time, i would basically be 'suspended' (again his words not mine) from any further appointments until they received the report back from the psychologist. After this i've then got to wait for another appointment at mr smalls clinic, then wait for an appointment for the endoscopy, then it'll be a minimum of 18 weeks after that so in other words summer 2011 here we come! Dont get me wrong i know i'm lucky to have got this far, but this has been in the works now since april 09 and i feel like i'm getting nowhere less than fast

grrrrrr rant over....::cry:

thanks for reading!

omg no wonder your fed up, thats way too long to wait for an appointment thats not needed. Id start ringing weekly to get the appointment asap then id keep ringing to see if there were any cancelations x good luck and i hope you get some good news soon

oh rachael no wonder your feeling fed up, i cant believe they threw all this at you now and fancy deciding all of a sudden you need to see a psychologist, you did right to say you thought they were wrong.

i really feel for you, but we will get there in the end - try to keep smiling and stay motivated.

by the way how long did you have to wait between first and second appointments ? and did they not want to send you for the camera down before this appointment ? i was under the impression i had to have mine done before i see them next time

dont stress ( too much )

Sorry you have had bad news,
Have you thought of going staight to the top and complain about the way you have been treated.
Write to the PCT you are under and tell them how utterly dissapointed in the way you have been treated (but dont use any names of doctors)they can be like spoilt bratts at times.

hi rachel,

thats crap - it will be worth it in the end thou!!! im at my first appointment tomorrow with the dietician tomorrow, i'll feedback after x

Hi Rachael,

I'm not surprised you are so fed up...totally understandable...probably would have been better if your doc hadn't told you the psychologist appt wasn't really necessary...grrrrrrrrrrr.

I do understand how frustrating it is...once we've made up our minds we just want to get on with it so we can get the weight off!!!!

It really is frustrating, but if this hoop needs to be jumped, the you will just have to jump!!!!! Remember though, that sometimes things can change quite quickly from one week to the next with what we are told.

I would do what the others suggest...keep ringing & asking if there are any cancellations to speed things up & perhaps a calm complaint about what a waste of resources this appointment seems, especially with the doc agreeing it didn't seem to be needed.

I wish you luck, but even if this appoinment is a cert....you will get there!

thanks all for the replies, i've calmed down a little bit now, which is better for all occupants of my house lol i think i'm just going to go with the flow and wait my turn, it'll be worth it in the end i'm hoping!

chris - i waited about 4 months between last appointment and this, and was told to lose 7lbs by next appointment, think i might be a bit different as they were taking into consideration that i's still be breastfeeding the new one between last and this appointments, so perhaps this is why no mention about camera between last appointment and this one?

Hi Rachel - my thoughts were that it was uttery normal to have to have a psych assessment before you are put forward for surgery. Everyone having their op at Salford has to have this as part of their pre-op checks and your surgery will never be planned without it? xx

this is normal procedure for Sunderland its a long drawn out slow process and others thats patients ar SRH also feel the same about the long wait unfortunalty on the nhs in our area the demand for wls is high and the motions/appointments have to be gone through, i understand your dispair i really do but your turn will come and it will be worth the wait, i had the camera down a couple of weeks ago by Mr B and im in the process of waiting the 18 weeks part, everyone is a similar position unfortunatley, hang in there.....from Liz x

I met the bariatric nurse today who was lovely. i have a weight loss target of one stone and await my next appointment between oct and dec. they are trying to get a 4th surgeon which will shorten the waiting list. im very pleased with appointment today :)

I met the bariatric nurse today who was lovely. i have a weight loss target of one stone and await my next appointment between oct and dec. they are trying to get a 4th surgeon which will shorten the waiting list. im very pleased with appointment today :)

Thats good news did you meet Kim or Jane today as they both realy nice nurses, a stone is a realistic target in the time scale given, the waiting list is getting smaller now which is very good news, keep us updated with your progress x

Hi Rachel,

I have been told that all peeps at Salford have to see a physc, so this seems normal.

Im glad you feel betetr today. It is so hard waiting......but the waiting will be worth it.

Cheers

xx

Hi liz/everyone

it was Jane - ive been in contact with her via email so it was nice to put a face to the emails/name! today was so positive that im not worried how long it will take - as I know its going to happen. i have been referred for sleep apnia (spelt?) as well so will wait to hear from that. Im doing all i can and so are the staff, cant ask for anything else xxxx

im really pleased for you that it went well , and 1 stone im really achievable, i must say im a little jealous if you get an appointment between Oct and December seeing as i was seen in April and next appointment is until End of December- i'll try not to be too much of a green eyed monster !!!

are you going to come to the next support meeting?

october is if the 4th surgeon starts and dec if he doesnt - and these are best case scenarios.... tbh im not worried if its later than that jan/feb time the nurse also said they are in process of shortening times so anyone on the list will be getting new appointments.

Hi liz/everyone

it was Jane - ive been in contact with her via email so it was nice to put a face to the emails/name! today was so positive that im not worried how long it will take - as I know its going to happen. i have been referred for sleep apnia (spelt?) as well so will wait to hear from that. Im doing all i can and so are the staff, cant ask for anything else xxxx

im glad your happy with the service at Srh the team are working round the clock to get through patients and trying to keep things running smoothly, it would be nice to see you both at this months group on the 24th xxx

great, will hopefully see you there, i have only been to the last one but its was good. nice to speak to people who are all on different stages of their journey

yes it is - tbh its stresses me out thou to see where other people are as i start to panic/worry that im not as far as them, or missed off appointments etc etc. although as ive said im very positive at the min (and excited)

Back