• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

back from 2nd appointment at srh and fed up

ha! at last someone admits to feeling how i do infact to be damn right honest i get jealous when i hear/ read what stage other people are at !! you have every right to feel excited its one stage nearer to being the healthier person you want to be, i remember coming out of my appointment and couldnt stop grinning for weeks- good for you girl

Hi Racheal

I am under charring cross and i had psych assessment, it only lasted about 10-15 mins i was just asked a few questions and it was over i was surprised how unpainful it was really x

good luck x

Hi Racheal

I am under charring cross and i had psych assessment, it only lasted about 10-15 mins i was just asked a few questions and it was over i was surprised how unpainful it was really x

good luck x

i was wandering where you were going to have your op Tracey....i noticed you were from sittingbourne not too far from me!

well done mrssafc, as said previously a stone is definitely not too bad in the time you'll have so give it all you've got!

I know it seems like you're having to jump through a lot of hoops but it really is a good idea to have the psych consult. It's amazing how much you can find out about why you overeat by examining it with a professional. I know you put it down to takeaways etc but personally I don't think any of us get to the weight we are without having a psychological problem with the way we view food. How we might cope with the new eating regime after surgery, especially if we encounter some other stress in our life, is a big worry for both us and the surgical team. A woman at my local hospital in York died of malnutrition some months after surgery, despite still being obese, because she didn't eat properly or take the required vitamins. So they are extra cautious now. Personally I'd feel worried if a surgeon agreed to go forward with bariatric surgery without checking my mental health first.

Hi Ladies

I'm also under SRH and can totally understand how frustrated you are feeling.

I have a history of MH issues and at my first appointment at the beginning of May I was told that I may well not be able to have surgery!! To be honest I was devestated as I feel that having become so heavy that I'll never get my weight under control otherwise.

I have been given 7lbs to loose by the time of my next appointment however I've asked my GP to refer me to the Weight management clinic in the meantime. The main reason being is that there is a psychologist attached to the service & that I should be offered CBT to overcome any compulsive/comfort eating issues that maybe present beneath the surface. I agree that there are probably emotional issues attached to my overeating & it's best to get these issues address so that if I'm allowed surgery I will be in a better place to be successful in my weight loss journey.

I think the main problem I have with SRH is the waiting system. It doesn't appear to be uniform for all. I had my appointment at the beginning of May & yet my second appointment isn't until end of February yet some that are going now are being given appointments in Oct - Dec. Also, by sending out that 2nd appointment I assume they've already decided to allow you to go to the next stage & therefore if they've already decided they want you to go to see a psychologist I think this should be done between first and second appointments not telling you at the second appointment.

Just my thoughts, I know I'll not be very happy if I attend my next appointment just to be told I'm being referred to a psychologist after already waiting nearly 10 months for that appointment. It just seems like a waste of time & resources.

Hello there

from what I can gather across the spectrum from start of initial referral to operating table is approx about 14-18 months. But I do agree that from May to Feb is a long time 2 wait for a 2nd appointment, but it seems more ppl hospitals have on their books the longer it is taking ppl to get seen, I know this isnt helpful etc but thats the reality of it , I have been waiting 14 months now and yet still to have a date for surgery .

All the best anyway - MeJulie x x

Sunderland is one of the highest demand aeas in the country for WLS so this is why the waiting times between appointments are so long.

i agree NEDebz - which is what I was saying earlier about ready peoples posts stresses me out a bit!! although it is good and inspiring to read about peoples experiences it can also be worrying when people get appointmnets before your or are told different things from the same hospital. The nurse told me it depends on your funding aswell, mine is being paid by my GP and not Sunderland PCT .... dont know if this makes a a difference? i have been told its 12-14 months from group seminar to surgery which runs right if my 2nd appointment is Dec, then 18 weeks wait after that. If they get the 4th surgeon then mine and everyone elses appointment will be forward to October as they will share the "work load" (this is what the nurse told me) so at the minute im a happy bunny.

i will rephrase - my december appointment will be brought forward to Oct - and everyone else appointmnet would be brought forward that is applicable to them - NOT EVERYONE WILL BE SEEN IN OCT!

MissSAFC - I haven't even got a clue who is funding my op!! Nobody has ever mentioned funding to me, my GP referred me & I assumed that it's all being done behind the scenes as a matter of course. I know that in this region as long as you meet the NICE guidelines then funding isn't normally a problem.

At seminar I was also told 12 - 14 months from seminar to operation. I had my seminar in January, my second appointment is due for February, if they refer me to psychologist you're talking another 4-6 months before I would be put on the waiting list then by Pauls news the waiting list is now 6 months. So I would probably be looking at an operation Jan - Feb 2010, 2 years from seminar date!!!

Another reason why I think they should be making any referrals needed between appointments rather than just making you wait 9 months to be told you are being referred. From what I understand they have a meeting after the first appointment to discuss your case and if they are making decisions then about any referrals to other departments they should be doing the referrals then, not 9 months down the line.

I asked my GP doctor all this before the referral was made - and the GPs have a "private" fund which they use at their discretion, my doc said to ensure i got the surgery - this money would be used. I agree with all the referrals being made at once but to be honest if you look at NICE guidelines and local PCT guidelines there are differences, I know sunderlands is different from other places. I know its a pain the wait but if you are that bothered then complain to PALS or speak to the nurses. my sister lives in south shields and they refused to refer her for a tummy tuck - even though she lost 10 stone and had a bmi of 26, and when she was referred (eventually) the PCT refused funding!!!

at least they are following up all avenues, even if it is making it a long process

Back