• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scared of the gym!!

fatbutnot4long

ok so im 7 weeks post op and already see my boobs starting to sag! i dont want this to happen anywhere else and thought id go to the gym and try and tone up as much as i could! only thing was was the monthly fees - my local gym is £30 induction and the £33 p/m so i thought it was a no go as we already have more going out than we have coming in! anyway at my 6 week gp check up he said he could refer me for cheaper rates! so i was well chuffed he filled in the form and told me it would now be £10 induction and £19.50 p/m im currently signed off with depression and anxiety and dont like to do anything alone.. so he also gave my hubby a form :D anyway.. i came home rang the gym booked my induction for this friday and now im so scared... i have to do th induction on my own! :0 and ive never been before so am really anxious! i know im still going to be the heaviest there! ive never been before! and i dont want ppl looking at me thinking what the hell is she doing here! arggghh im so scared and dont want to tell anyone either! i dont even know what i ahve to wear! do i get changed there or before? sorry to rant guys! its just easier to talk on here than to ppl that 'know' me! thanks for listening :) xx

Don't panic! It won't be as bad as you think! I was so scared going to the gym at first, I felt like everyone was looking at me and I was the biggest there, but soon you start to feel at home, you will love how good being in the gym feels and you will love the results it brings you :) good luck with the induction, let us know how it goes xxxxx

Noone will be looking at you, and if they do just smile at them. Its better to be seen at the gym and be looked at than be walking down the road eating a bag of chips and being looked at.
Good on you! You wont regret it when you start seeing the results, I promise!

I know exactly what you mean - I have been a member of the gym for a year now and hated to go. However, since surgery my OH has joined and I feel great going - I know now that i am more than 100% dedicated and know that the gym is helping my fitness level as well as helping my body shape. I go dressed in my joggy bottoms and T shirt and have a change of clothes, towel, shampoo etc packed for afterwards - believe me you will need them lol. Good luck and I hope you go in feeling confident about even more changes you are making to your body xxx

GYM

Good on your for committing to this
I go to gym 3 times a week and can assure you that people wont be looking at you.
And if anyone does then fool them becasue your weight loss will be rapid and they will see the change
I found that by going to the gym regularly after band fitted I lost weight steadily and the training kept me toned and meant I didnt end up with stretch skin

Do it for you, hold your head high and Go For It

Good Luck

James

I joined 2 years ago at 20stone 7 and was scared stiff.
I wore an umbro polo type shirt from soccerworld size xxl fitted excellent and bought a pair of gym pants from asda, tesco also do them and M&S.
I was fine, the induction they just show you what to go on and how to use teh machines
you will be fine x

Kirsty I went to the gym yesterday(first time in ages)-I'm 52 years young(lol) only 5' 2" in trainers & have a BMI over 45 - so not a pretty sight even in black t-shirt & trousers-so you'll be fine

My only tip for the induction is to take your time & ask questions if you're not sure-I still find it difficult to operate some of the machines(probably 'cos I'm not very technical-lol)

Good luck-enjoy!

Hi you will be fine. I used to love going just couldn't afford it any more. The induction is fine it is to show you how to use the machines and give you an idea of what to do. You can wear jogging trousers or leggings and a t shirt and a pair of trainers, my favourite thing was the treadmill. I used to go already in my gear they provided the towel for the sweat(sorry tmi). Then I used to come home and have a shower as it was only up the road. Good luck.

How did you get on seeing your team? Or have you not had the appt yet?

I am aching and stiff all over from my induction which was today! It was brilliant, I felt so good even whilst being killed!! We have decided because of my weight to concentrate on Cardio exercise, three machines, 40 minutes of exercise. I honestly can't wait to go back on Friday for my next session, mainly because I am wanting to loose weight, the more the better before the surgery. Only a couple of people looked at me, but I wasn't bothered I was there exercising which as someone else has said is better than being looked at eating chips in the street.

In my experience most people have been impressed i'm trying to help myself and doing something to become a bit healthier...You may get a few glances , possibly even because you're a new face but they'll get over it.

Feel the fear and do it anyway i say :D

Good Luck :)

thanks everyone... i am defo guna give it my best shot! ummm i have had the appoitment sharron and it was ok i guess.. they put me back on fluids before hand and was okish! but i still get a pain! once i got there they done a scan and all is fine they said maybe im eating to many carbs, eating 2 fast and takin too bigger bites.. i do feel abit better but im still on mush.. i cant face other foods yet! thanks for asking.. when i go back they said i should see a change and begin to like it.. i think maybe its just learning all over again and it will take me time but i will get there. i do have a horrible pain thou when i need a wee (sorry) it feels like a stabbing pain just before and during going.. does anyone else get this post op? i defo havent got an infection? x

Kirsty all you need is some jogging bottoms a loose fitting t-shirt (so nobody can see your sweaty pits lol) and your trainers on. Don't forget a drink of water and also the most important thing of all.............

Questions! You need to know exactly why you're using the gym... weight loss/muscle growth/toning and make sure you get the right machines for the job.

You might also want to ask them if they will review your programme a few months/weeks down the line as your fitness levels increase.

I'd also ask if fitness classes are included in the gym membership and if there are set times only you can use it such as off peak...

Good luck with it and commiserations about the sagging boobs, mine started years ago but i do have three kids for an excuse lol.... Will be like deflated balloons by the time i finish :) xx

I started going to the gym more regularly back in September last year. I see a personal trainer and have benefitted so much from going. My fitness has improved massively, and I am toning up too. I hope I don't have to miss for too long when I have my surgery on 22nd February, as I don't want to get out of the habit.
You could reward yourself with something like a new book, or a movie rental, for a certain number of visits to the gym, help keep yourself motivated.

thanks! i will keep them qestions in mind... i think my boobs are so bad because im always yoyo dieting and last yr i lost 4 stone put 6 on and now since 25th nov lost 5 again! my body dont know what to do and i seem to always lose my boobs first (not that i mind - i hate them) im glad theyve gone down from a FF to a DD in 7 weeks... just when i take my bra off they look like soggy tea bags! tuk! haha :D x

Back