• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Scared ...

MazRob

... my sleeve hasn't worked, I am nearly 3 weeks post op and on pureed but I feel hungry. I saw my surgeon yesterday and when I told him this, he said I shouldn't feel that way. Help! Xxx

Hi MazRob, what did the surgeon suggest?

If I were you I'd go back to the medics and ask them why you are feeling hungry and what you should do about it because being hungry so soon after the op can't be right!
Wish you luck.

How much are you eating? It's possible to feel hungry when your body is running low on energy. I've certainly had those feelings and I'm only 5 weeks out.

Me too - 5 weeks after and I get the hunger pangs but a glass of water does the trick.
How much are you able to eat? Have you tested you restriction?
I have over eaten twice and was sick. I think I went over by just a mouthful!
You need to speak to them again if you are concerned.
I hope it starts to get better.

Hi Mazrob - firstly do not panic - your sleeve has not failed, I absolutely promise you. Firstly I must emphasise that I am not medically trained in any way and in no position to advise anyone. Please DO NOT COPY ME.
I was a band to sleeve conversion on 12th November and by one week out was very hungry indeed. I decided, (without medical permission) to experiment with some porridge (the next stage up) and was devastated to discover that I could eat a vast (600ml) amount. DO NOT COPY ME. With no discomfort whatsoever. As if I had no sleeve. I concluded that the sleeve had failed in some radical way, just as the banding had. Devastating.
The next day I hit the phone to my medical team. Both surgeon and dietician have said that I have healed alarmingly quickly and must have virtually no internal swelling left. The porridge had emptied out of the sleeve very quickly. For some reason they both said that this may have been caused by having a resilient stomach due to the banding - all these fills and defills. Anyway, the decision was to to move me forward to an evenly textured soft diet. Yes at one week out! This has worked perfectly and my new sleeve has the capacity of one scrambled egg. This has completely taken the problem away. Believe me I know that I have a completely working sleeve now and feel stuffed on that amount. To do this off your own bat could be extremely dangerous ie it could cause a leak in your staple line. Extremely nasty and potentially life threatening.
You have two options. Consult again with your surgeon to seek permission to move early to the next stage of eating. If you get it proceed with HUGE care. If not, just endure being hungry for a few weeks more following the usual progression. Then you'll relax knowing that your sleeve is fully working.
Another thing that the surgeon mentioned is that when doing a conversion the stomach has to be stretched and pulled back into a normal shape. This apparently can temporarily mess with stretch receptors and cause a sort of "fake" hunger which fixes itself over a few weeks.
We are conversions and the failure of the previous bariatric surgery has had a negative psychological effect. There is no device implanted which can fail, this time. Your sleeve has not failed. You are healing more quickly than most, is all. Good luck with your weight loss and take care.

Hi Mazrob - firstly do not panic - your sleeve has not failed, I absolutely promise you. Firstly I must emphasise that I am not medically trained in any way and in no position to advise anyone. Please DO NOT COPY ME.
I was a band to sleeve conversion on 12th November and by one week out was very hungry indeed. I decided, (without medical permission) to experiment with some porridge (the next stage up) and was devastated to discover that I could eat a vast (600ml) amount. DO NOT COPY ME. With no discomfort whatsoever. As if I had no sleeve. I concluded that the sleeve had failed in some radical way, just as the banding had. Devastating.
The next day I hit the phone to my medical team. Both surgeon and dietician have said that I have healed alarmingly quickly and must have virtually no internal swelling left. The porridge had emptied out of the sleeve very quickly. For some reason they both said that this may have been caused by having a resilient stomach due to the banding - all these fills and defills. Anyway, the decision was to to move me forward to an evenly textured soft diet. Yes at one week out! This has worked perfectly and my new sleeve has the capacity of one scrambled egg. This has completely taken the problem away. Believe me I know that I have a completely working sleeve now and feel stuffed on that amount. To do this off your own bat could be extremely dangerous ie it could cause a leak in your staple line. Extremely nasty and potentially life threatening.
You have two options. Consult again with your surgeon to seek permission to move early to the next stage of eating. If you get it proceed with HUGE care. If not, just endure being hungry for a few weeks more following the usual progression. Then you'll relax knowing that your sleeve is fully working.
Another thing that the surgeon mentioned is that when doing a conversion the stomach has to be stretched and pulled back into a normal shape. This apparently can temporarily mess with stretch receptors and cause a sort of "fake" hunger which fixes itself over a few weeks.
We are conversions and the failure of the previous bariatric surgery has had a negative psychological effect. There is no device implanted which can fail, this time. Your sleeve has not failed. You are healing more quickly than most, is all. Good luck with your weight loss and take care.

Oh My its all very distressing isn't it...we have done the most we can to rid ourselves of this burden of being overweight and we all need to feel well, sustained and healthy to move forward
I hope you get sorted Hun xxx

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I had porridge for breakfast today and it has helped with the hunger xxx

Back