• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Essex Newbie. - very nervous

kirstieann

Hey guyss,
I have my first assessment / consultation on the 12th at Homerton Hospital. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Im very nervous.
Ive battled for years with my weight & struggled especially due to my PCOS & Hypothyroidism. My endocrinologist asked if this would be something id be interested in doing especially as i am trying to become a mummy.
This is all very new to me.
If anyone has any tips for the first assessment & consultation - i seem to have 2 appointments on the same day?
Does anyone also kno how long the waiting list is after this?
Hope everyones ok
Xxxxx

hello Kiristieann
welcome ,I had my meetings and WLS all at Homerton like you I had 2 appointments in one day in the morning I saw the dietician who chatted with me about my pass attempts at weight lose my personal history and talked about my eating habits and what kind of eater I was (I just used to over eat ,over fill my plate )and she took notes she was lovely and very kind put me at ease the 2 nd part was a group meeting of others also on the same path as me ,where this time we meet with a bariatric nurse in the beginning it was just me and 1 other person then others turned up ,she talked and did a slide show all about the different types of surgeries on offer the success rates recovery times the different types of pre op diets to follow and a hand out is given at the end of the sessions you can ask questions please do take the opportunity to ask any questions no question is daft ,believe me someone in the room is bound to be thinking what your thinking !they at some point in the day weight you take your height
all together my journey from start to finish took around 18 months so I was very lucky I started at the right time but I now understand some rules have changed and each PCT does it different now so I cant say how long you will be waiting for
ive had my WLS (bypass)in sept 2014 and im loving it the hospital was great my surgeon was amazing and to date ive lost around 45 lbs since the operation and its going fantastic
good luck with everything

Last edited:
Thank you,
That has helped me so much
Im so nervous. Basically i was just given the referal but the doctors never went through anything with me at all. I see her about my pcos ans thyroid problems and i think after that she gives up listening to me lol.
I am so excited, feel like its a second chance to get my diseases in check and sort myself out.
A massive congratulations to you! Thats amazing!
Xxx

Hi Kirststieann

My sister had her op in Homerton and im from the same neck of the woods as you.

Glad I could help I found the whole thing a good experience the team at homerton were great with me and my surgeon was amazing no after pain, wind , nothing if it wasnt for the plasters on my belly I would have thought the surgery didnt happen, I guess I was one of those lucky ones long may my luck continue!
One tip I would say is write down any questions you may have as when you get into your 1on1 meetings then the group meet I found my head became empty ! They will give you contact numbers in the hand outs do use it they are more than happy to get back to you good luck again

Hi Kirststieann

I also has my op at the Homerton on the 30/12 and they were amazing, they was all very nice to me which helped me as I have depression, The one thing that I would say is try not to miss any appointments so that they can see you are being serious about it.

Hi Ipeps,
Noticed you had your surgery with Dr Mannur. I am due my operation with him end of February. How did you find his before and after surgery bed side manner? Was he helpful and attentive? Thank you

Hi Tules, I saw Mr Mannur before surgery along with other member of the surgery team they was all very nice. He told me what was going to happen and what that he might give me a bypass instead of the sleeve. He had to see what it was like to decide. When I woke up he came to the recovery room to see me and tell me what surgery was done. They was all nice all the way through. I could not ask for more. I have had no complication from having the surgery and the only pain was from wind. They helped that with peppermint water. If you do get any pain let them know where the pain is but I can't see you getting any.

Last edited:
Hello I also have my first appointment at Homerton on 14th jan next week I'm nervous hope they agree to give me the operation and hope yours goes well to . Can you let me know how yours goes as you are before me x x

Welcome to the start of your journey. Best of luck whether you go for a sleeve of a bypass - do you have the choice? I'm not sure which one I'd prefer if I had the choice!

My last surgery went really smoothly (abroad) and I found the surgeon, bariatric team and nurses to all be really friendly and helpful. The only time I got a bit nervous was when the surgeon explained it's a 'problem' due to my medical history and that I'm a high risk patient. Other than that I managed to remain laid back and was even joking with the anesthesiologist on the day of the surgery.

I'm now in my 4th week post op and no regrets. Before I was worried about portion sizes and struggling with a limited diet but I've found I just get on with it and no problems. Post-op I hardly think about it.

Back