• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Seeing my Gp - and what to say

I was wondering if anyone could talk me though their chat with their GP about being referred for WLS? What do you say etc?

It has also been suggested to me that I write down how my weight negatively effects my life so I have it to hand when I see the GP. What would you say are the most impactful things to put in this list?

Thanks in advance xx

I said to my GP I want to be referred for obesity surgery lol. He had already asked me a few times and I'd refused. He had medical records of all my diets etc so it wasn't a problem.

Mine was a bit of a complex to do - actually my GP had very little to do with the referal. My gynaecologist recommended in Feb 2011 that i ask my GP for a band- I went and told the GP what he had said, and told her I didn't want one. Told her that I wanted to give it one last go, so she put me on orlistat, and we agreed to review in six months. After 5 months I moved house into a new town, and got a new GP. I spoke to her and she continued me on Orlistat, but the weight loss stopped after 8 months. So she referred me to a weight management program, who after just 1 appointment recommended that I have surgery. They applied for funding for me, which I was granted 6 weeks later. All my GP had to do was sign the form the weight management nurse sent her, then when I had funding she contacted my chosen hospital.

My gp told me to write down every diet and exercise thing ive ever tried what year I tried them and how long for and how I felt why I gave up how much I lost and every little detail lol including weight at the time (aprox obviously) ... May be worth doing to save time, xxxx

My sister asked my docs cos I was in tears but she just said toni wants to be referred so he looked through my records and told me to write everything down then referred me and I was accepted 5 weeks later xxxx

lozzers_losing_weight said:
When you say contacted your chosen hospital...how does that actually work? Ive never needed to go hospital before so i dont really understand how the whole'your choice' thing works exactly?

When funding is approved,I recieved a letter with the nearest hospital/private clinic that provided gastric surgery and then it was up to me to research which one I wanted and found best.
Even though I had the choice to go to a private clinic(which was like an hotel)
I chose to stay with my hospital where I had all previous appointment and had seen the consultants.
And also the aftercare at my hospital was far better,than it would have been at the private clinic.
Hope this helps x

Hi Lauren, from what I understand different PCTs have different processes. But where I am in Medway, Kent I was granted funding before I was referred to a surgical team. I was then given the choice of 10 hospitals. When I made my choice I told my GP, and she sent a completed questionnaire plus my funding letter - this was the GP referral. I'm currently waiting upon my consultation with the surgeon. So for me, there is no guarantee that surgery will actually go ahead.

When you go to see your GP ask them to explain the process with your PCT.

The process of getting NHS funding can be quite long winded for some people, it wasn't for me, but I was lucky.

With regards to NHS choices, for several years now patients have been allowed to have the choice of where they are treated. It gives you the opportunity to research different hospitals and choose the one that's best for you.

I took a letter to my GP about how I felt about my weight, my past and my future. I just sat in the office and said I've been thinking about a gastric band and before I handed him the letter he said 'I think that's a great idea!'.
I was in tears and laughing and told him about the letter. I said I'd still like him to take it, then he can see how much I appreciate his understanding. I have always been to my GP for help with my weight and they've been there through all my issues with my PCOS. He referred me straight away.
I didn't see any of the funding applications, I didn't have to fill in any forms. I went to the seminar, then got a letter for my consultation and it was like any other hospital procedure. I've had no stress with it like some others. Maybe I'm just lucky :)

Back