• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you share with your employer?

Quinn

Hi all, I'm just wondering what others told their employer or HR? I really don't want this being anyone's business at the office. Taking time off to recover is inevitable and the firm I work for is great with these things, but its my business really. Has anyone had their GP just write them off for "surgery of a personal nature"?
Is that possible?
Naturally I can't get in to see my GP for 4 weeks (unless I'm unwell) so I can't ask her, so anyone?.....Thanks. :)

I've been wondering this too, I don't want to disclose the nature of my surgery I was just going to ask my GP to put recovery from surgery. I have an appointment booked for 8th June.

I have told my manager, I do get on really well with her anyway and knew she would be supportive. Whatever you tell them should be confidential, so maybe just your boss? Because I have told her - she has let me work from home for a period of time etc - so saying something may benefit you.

Surgery doesnt bother me and I dont care what anyone thinks so I have been quite open. I am booked in for the 18th of July - cannot come quick enough :)

Xx

I'm having surgery end of August. My employer has no idea at the moment as only my husband knows and I have told 2 very close friends in the past week, both really supportive. Two others at work have had similar surgery this year but were very open about it all. People have asked how I've lost weight etc as my work uniform is far too big! I have just told them healthy eating! I can bear all the questions! My husband says just tell them it's 'surgery' and nothing else but I can't do that! I will have to tell my manager soon as I work shifts and the rota will be sorted in next few weeks! I think I'll just make a public announcement one day And shock them all!

I work from home mostly as it is so I'm lucky with that, but I know that I will need a little time off. The nature of my work is incredibly stressful and I literally sit in front of the computer non-stop 8 hours. Once the work day starts it just doesn't give me a break.
Knowing the nature of those in corporate life the last thing I want it anyone in the division knowing what I'm doing and as they only see me physically twice a year when I go in for financial year end meetings, most people don't know I have such a horrible weight problem now. I already know the partner I work for will let slip why I'm not working for a week or so.
I'm considering taking the time off as holiday depending on what my GP says she is going to write on my sick note.
Just wondering if this is actually something an employer needs to know? Do you think they actually need to know there was surgery involved?

I've been wondering this too, I don't want to disclose the nature of my surgery I was just going to ask my GP to put recovery from surgery. I have an appointment booked for 8th June.
Sending you all the best with the surgery.

Yes I understand why you dont want too, no they dont need to know about what surgery your having - I am taking mine as annual leave, flexi and then WFH.

BUT...if your doctor signs you off, it has to go down as sick unfortunately.

I havent asked for a sick note, hoping I wont get one but we shall see what happens.

When are you having your op?

I work from home mostly as it is so I'm lucky with that, but I know that I will need a little time off. The nature of my work is incredibly stressful and I literally sit in front of the computer non-stop 8 hours. Once the work day starts it just doesn't give me a break.
Knowing the nature of those in corporate life the last thing I want it anyone in the division knowing what I'm doing and as they only see me physically twice a year when I go in for financial year end meetings, most people don't know I have such a horrible weight problem now. I already know the partner I work for will let slip why I'm not working for a week or so.
I'm considering taking the time off as holiday depending on what my GP says she is going to write on my sick note.
Just wondering if this is actually something an employer needs to know? Do you think they actually need to know there was surgery involved?
Someone posted the other day that their GP had written 'Abdominal surgery' which could be any number of things as someone else had the same worry as you and decided to take it as annual leave

Back