• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Self injecting...uh oh!!!

i had to do these injections after a recent hospital trip, and i was sooo afraid to do them so got my dad to do them, and after 2 days he got a chest infection and cos he has congestive heart failure it really knocked it out of him and he was laid up in bed, my mum couldnt bring herself to do them so i had to......i sat there holding the needle for about 10 minutes trying to do it lol after i finally got it in and done it i was so relieved lol but each day got easier to do xx

Needles no prob! But the TEDs for TWO weeks! I cant see the point if you are mobile.

I had do them for 2 weeks. Very fine needle, done subcutaneously, just pinch your tummy together and slide the needle in quickly at angle, then push down the plunger in a steady one off motion. You get a special yellow container to put your empty needle/syringes in and you local council should come and pick them up for you. I was lucky I'd done subcut injections before for my job but again doing it to yourself is a little daunting at first. A nurse will show you exactly how to do it, you might get it a bit off the first few times, it won't hurt but might leave a little bruise. Don't worry you will get the hang of it. If you can't face it yourself you can get a love one to learn from the hospital but personally the one time my mum did it for me it stung a bit, so after that I did them all myself. It honestly isn't anything to worry about, once you have the hang of it you will be fine and as it's been said not all hospitals do it anyway.

Have to say that I had no problem with the needle and injecting but what's in that stuff bec it stings so much! Did for 2 weeks and each one hurt 2 mins after it went in!! Was awful!!

are they proper syringes or are they like epi-pens? going a bit wobbly at the thought of proper syringes...but could probably cope with epi's. Don't mind others stabbing me but dont know if I could do it to myself. OH is a right wuss so cant see him doing it!

They are 'proper' syringes.

Honest, its really easy once you've got into a routine. As has been mentioned already - its not the injection/needle that hurts, its the liquid that stings.

I had to have 2 a day for 2 weeks.

My OH wanted to do the injections for me! Hmmm like I would let him anywhere near me with a needle???
May have been married nearly 30 years but somehow think he was loving the thought of stabbing me ;) LOL

Thats what I am dreading too. I also have needle phobia :(

Last one tonight for me. My hubby has been doing them. Have to be honest this has been the hardest bit of the wls journey so far. Will be doing a dance once done !

Eve30 I'm so glad that you felt that they stung too, I was thinking it was just me being a baby! After being the one that has been giving other people clexane for years (and no one mentioned the horrid stinging) it took me by complete surprise.

It's easy enough to say 'oh you'll be fine, you can do them' etc, but when you have a genuine needle phobia, sometimes you can't!

I knew I wouldn't be able to do them, so hubby was going to. When it came to it, I couldn't let him, as he's not medically trained to, so I freaked out. Instead I went to the nurse at the gp, or the local out of hours service to have them daily. They were fine about doing them as long as I had the appropriate paperwork.

Later, I had them daily for 9 months during and after pregnancy due to my health problems, so every day for 9 months I'd trundle round to the practice nurse Monday-Friday and to the DVT service at the hospital on weekends/bank holidays.

So if it really is a problem, there are ways round it, speak to your gp practice as a first, and see what they advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Eve30 I'm so glad that you felt that they stung too, I was thinking it was just me being a baby! After being the one that has been giving other people clexane for years (and no one mentioned the horrid stinging) it took me by complete surprise.

They do sting a little bit but it's over quick isn't it? I found if I got the angle right and rubbed the area to help dispearse it quickly, it wasn't too bad at all x

Instruction said do not rub the area as causes bruising but I couldn't help it and I was so bruised after 2 weeks of it! And phew at least I'm not only one who found them stinging

I found that it felt more bearable if I put ice on the site afterwards. It's an important injection so it's just to grin an bare it.

Learn something new all the time, but if this is what has to happen l will take it on board.

I have a victosa injection every day and have had for years.. Nothing to it.. Easy peasy !!

Good luck

Back