• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

severe hair loss

suesian

hi sorry i havnt posted for a while but good to see some familiar names, im almost 7 months post op and have lost nine and a hallf stone which i am really pleased with, but the problem is i am loosing my hair at a rapid rate especially from the sides im taking all my suppliments and using a hair thickener anybody else going through this and when will it stop,sorry for sounding a winge but i really like my hair

It normally lasts for around 6 months. It's normal during periods of rapid weight loss as the body concentrates the fuel on essential functions and hair growth is non essential.

So long as you are getting enough protein and taking your vitamins and minerals daily it is nothing to worry about.

If it gets to a stage were you have bald patches then see your gp for bloods as it can occasionally be a sign of deficiency.

Generally though it isn't half as noticeable to others as we think it is, and stressing about it can make it worse. Try to see it as part of your journey. If it is bothering you ask your hairdresser for advice on thickening products and styles which will help disguise it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm 19 months post op and still loosing tons of hair, and all my bloods were ok:confused::confused:Good job I had a massive mane to start with, but i'm sick of having to brush it off my clothes:rolleyes:

Im loosing lots of hair too at the moment....Im over 4 months out. Ive just started zinc tablets off the GP....they were recommended by the bariatric team. From what I have read I dont think they will make much difference....I think its something you just had to put up with, fingers crossed it will stop before I am really bald :eek: XX

yep me to, but it's growing back now, it's nothing to really worry about just keep up your protein and meds and every thing should be ok.

candie said:
I'm 19 months post op and still loosing tons of hair, and all my bloods were ok:confused::confused:Good job I had a massive mane to start with, but i'm sick of having to brush it off my clothes:rolleyes:

Sal, when you say all your bloods, what did they actually do? You need a full vit/mineral screen and protein levels checking ideally, but convincing your gp to do it can be tricky! Are you still going to macc? Might have more luck asking them.

My hair is still falling out, but the loss seems less since I had it cut much shorter a few weeks ago.
I've been taking zinc for about a month but I'm not sure it's made any difference.

My best tip is to have it re-styled by your hairdresser to try to disguise the thinning as much as possible.
I was very distressed about it at first, as i had very long hair. But now I feel philosophical. It will stop falling out and grow back eventually.

Its because of your rapid loss, my dietician said only last week that losing weight too rapidly would cause hair loss and other problems.

Thanks Sue, at first I was a bit gutted as I dont like taking dissolvable tablets but they are actually doing me a favour as I struggle to drink water :D I just hope they help me grow a lush mane ;) XX

I take loads of supplements for my hair....zinc, sea kelp, biotin, Vit B, folic acid etc....I also started taking them around 3 months before my op......hasn't made the slightest bit of difference, my hair is still falling out by the handful, lol! Tbh, vitamins & supplements really won't make any difference to the hair you lose, it is down to the nutritional & protein deficient diet your body is adjusting to post-op....it will sort itself out in a few months. Just make sure you keep up with regular full blood tests post-op, to ensure you are not getting too deficient in anything xxxx

I take loads of supplements for my hair....zinc, sea kelp, biotin, Vit B, folic acid etc....I also started taking them around 3 months before my op......hasn't made the slightest bit of difference, my hair is still falling out by the handful, lol! Tbh, vitamins & supplements really won't make any difference to the hair you lose, it is down to the nutritional & protein deficient diet your body is adjusting to post-op....it will sort itself out in a few months. Just make sure you keep up with regular full blood tests post-op, to ensure you are not getting too deficient in anything xxxx

This is what my dietician told me last week Angie. The zinc makes me feel quite sick so I think I'm going to stop taking them once this lot are finished. But I've got a supplement from a health food shop which Jacci (J-Mo) recommended and I'm going to try them.
But I'm not getting too wound up about the hair loss. I'm much more happy about the weight loss!

It will sort itself out worry not. It can be helped with Zinc and I took Selenium too which was horrible to take but it did help. GPs are reluctant to prescribe it because it is so expensive but you can ask for it.

Protein levels are the key however as your body needs the protein to transport the zinc to the hair follicles so you need to get as much down your neck as you need. I heard the other day that the new guidelines are for 100g a day for protein up from the old 70g. That sounds a lot but if you consider the malabsorption issues I guess its not too hard to see why, Check with your NUTs

:confused:
Sal, when you say all your bloods, what did they actually do? You need a full vit/mineral screen and protein levels checking ideally, but convincing your gp to do it can be tricky! Are you still going to macc? Might have more luck asking them.

I had a full blood screening as have been so tired lately:(:(I still go to Macc now and then , and am sure i'm due an appointment soon but god knows when:confused:

I had quite bad hair loss and ended up with a bald patch at on the top of my head which became quite hard to disguise. Mine started at about five months post op and finally started to improve at the twelve month mark and i'm quite pleased with how its looking now. I took my A-Z vitamin and then an added zinc supplement on the advice of my surgeon ( i can't take kelp as i'm on thyroxine) and tried to up my protein intake. I'm not sure of any of this specifically helped or if it just improved as part of the recovery process but there was no harm done in trying !
It can be a bit disheartening but for most people it does improve with time.

I lost alot of hair between the third month and the sixth month and then it stopped and grew back,quite wispy, dry and different but at least it grew back. Don't worry about it, as the more you worry the more stress you put on your body.

Back