• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sharp pain in my left side

Beluca

Hi all,

I had my bypass 1 week ago and I am recovering pretty well apart from this really awful pain which keeps coming and going in my left side. It seems to be around the site of one wound which is very badly bruised. I am guessing that it was the main entry point.

The pain feels like a really bad stitch, it comes and goes and is worse in the mornings. I know it's very likely to be wind, but I am passing alot of wind (sorry! :eek:) and I am going to the toilet every day for number 2's no problem, and I would have thought that most of the wind would have disapated by now. When it comes on it is horrendously painful and I am doubled over. I phoned my consultant and he has asked me to go in and see him tomorrow.

Am I just being silly? I guess what I'm really asking is, is this normal and did other people suffer with this? I have to admit I am a bit worried.

Any help appreciated.

x

Hi Beluca,

I used to get almost a wrapping burning sort of pain around my left side by one of the wounds and I'd say it carried on for the first two weeks then died down. It doesn't sound quite the same pain as your but when mine happened the now way for it to ease was to lie totally flat. You've done the right thing by speaking to your doc and hopefully he can put your mind at ease. Let us know how you get on!

NX

The trapped wind most of us suffer from post-op is located outside the gut, in the cavity the organs hang out in so even if you burp and fart a lot it's not going to affect that wind. It will get absorbed into the surrounding tissues, find its way into your blood stream then be expelled through your lungs. It rarely lasts longer than two weeks.

Give it another week or so but if it continues or you feel worse or develop other symptoms, it's always worth contacting your provider :)

Back