• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sick after surgery

debs6

:wave_cry:
im always sick after ive had surgery or when ive been given morphine etc, I'm worried about being sick when I come round after the op!
I'm having the sleeve and im concerned that if im heaving or being sick how that might react on my stomach,,ie will it leak/pull etc
Many Thanks

I shoule mention it to the anaesthetist or a pre-op nurse before they put you under, that way they might inject you with an anti-sickness drug at the end of the op before they wake you up x Good luck xx

I was given that before,,i didnt work i was still ill.

I will if i remember i got head like a siv and ive got ages till op (not got a date yet)

Last edited:
You've plenty of time then . . If you remember, when you get your dates, look back at this thread, and it will remind you to tell your team when you go in!!!

I use to be sick after surgery all the time when I was a child - When I have had operations now I always tell the staff and they give me anti sickness tablets to stop me being sick - and they work!

I mentioned my fear of morphine making me sick to the surgeon and he told me that they no longer use it and just use paracetamol instead. I was so relieved. Might be worth checking as your hospital may have stopped using it also. Good luck :)

Thank you all,,
I phoned up admissions today and the lady said that the secretary wasnt in so today phone tomoz,,
but she did say that as i saw the doc in june i would get my date next june!! I cant wait that long..just to get a date..:cry:
Ive put on so mutch weight on my tumm or it could be my hernia getting bigger i think a little of both. i put my coat on today and it was tight, weres last year it was loose,,:cry:im now bigger than when i saw the doc,,how Depressing:cry:

Ah Debs ... can't say anything helpful but just letting you know we are here for you & wishing you well. See if your doctor can confirm if your hernia has gotten larger as this could help your case. :):)

Aww sorry about the delay for date! Might be quicker than you think!

Re sickness, i felt sick and wretched a little when i came round. But was given anti sickness med and i was fine. Don't wsorry about it they'll be prepared for it! X

Sent from my Galaxy SII using WLSurgery

debs6 said:
Thank you all,,
I phoned up admissions today and the lady said that the secretary wasnt in so today phone tomoz,,
but she did say that as i saw the doc in june i would get my date next june!! I cant wait that long..just to get a date..:cry:
Ive put on so mutch weight on my tumm or it could be my hernia getting bigger i think a little of both. i put my coat on today and it was tight, weres last year it was loose,,:cry:im now bigger than when i saw the doc,,how Depressing:cry:

Debs, my honest and best advice is to pull yourself out of this negative cycle (easier said than done sometimes i know) and start fighting it so you can be the very best you can be. Try looking at it from a different perspective, after years of battling with weight, what's another 9/12 months? I promise you, if you prove you've done as well as you possibly can then your reward will be life changing and well worth the waiting game. Come on girl, you can do it xxxxxxx

I was given that before,,i didnt work i was still ill.

Same here.... they gave me ondansetron last time I was in and was still very sick... it is my only worry about having the op.... hoping there is something stronger that they can give me as I don't want to rupture. I am having a Sleeve hopefully mid November so if I am before you will let you know how it goes ;) x x

Hi , i was told i would wake up from sugerywith a nasual tube down into my stomach to help with the sickness and to help after the op they told me i would need it in untill i start drinking water , as anyone had this done , i got funnding and having done in a private hospital spire in wirral

i have just saw my anethatist and i told him i vomit for quite a while after any surgery, and he said normally they only administer 1 anti sickness while under, but he said that they can actually give you 3 types at the same time, so he is going to do this for me.

They gave me Ondansetron with my anaesthetic (1 dose every 12 hours) again and I only felt sick after I got up for the 1st time at 6.15pm on Tuesday - they gave me IV Cyclizine and touch wood I haven't felt sick since..... they did offer me morphine for pain relief but I didn't need it.... and was worried that may make me feel more sick so stuck with paracetamol x x x

Thanks hun, how did it go!!

It went well thanks.... day 2 post op done.... today was easier than yesterday with pain/ stiffness etc..... all in all pleased. Was a bit naughty this afternoon and went to bed and fell asleep from 1-5.... so playing catch up on my fluids lol x x

xxpigsgalorexx said:
It went well thanks.... day 2 post op done.... today was easier than yesterday with pain/ stiffness etc..... all in all pleased. Was a bit naughty this afternoon and went to bed and fell asleep from 1-5.... so playing catch up on my fluids lol x x

How much liquid have you got to have. I am hopeless with that :(

Back