• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sickness after band fills

bubbles15

Hullo all, I've lived with my gastric band for about a year now, and, barring a blip over the summer last year when getting a refil was difficult due to work I've lost four stone, or 30 kilos.

I started on 190 and am now down to 160, and I do feel much, much better. I had a refil Thursday of last week to 8ml and while I could swallow the water and eat the yoghurt you're given since then I've barely been able to hold anything down.

I made the mistake this morning of drinking about 100mls of some orange squash and was promptly sick. Now, this has happened before, especially over the Christmas fill and after a week things were back to normal.

Basically I'd like to ask if this *is* normal. I know the stomach swells slightly after a fill and that it does pass, but do other people get sick for upward of a week after a refil?

Hi Bubbles

No thats not 'normal'. I have never been sick. Do you think you drunk the juice too quickly?

It may be that your too tight so if this carries on please ring your team x

I agree, definitely not normal.

I would get a slight defill, remember the fine tuning of a band is like a piano...make a string to tight and you get a bum note...

I hope you get this sorted soon.

Thanks all - my previous fill over Christmas was like this but it settled after about a week. I did most probably drink too much too quickly. I'll give it a day or so.

At the moment the biggest worry is feeling so utterly pathetic. I've no fuel so feel lethargic and tired.

Thanks all - my previous fill over Christmas was like this but it settled after about a week. I did most probably drink too much too quickly. I'll give it a day or so.

At the moment the biggest worry is feeling so utterly pathetic. I've no fuel so feel lethargic and tired.

if you cannot keep liquids down, you need to get this sorted as dehydrtion can be very serious. Don't put it off if you cannot take liquids

Hope you get sorted hun xx

Yes - more worrying was being really ill even when drinking fluids. I'll see how today goes and see about tomorrow.

All - a heartfelt thank you to everyone. Last night things seemed to settle down and I kept down a bite of a sandwich and a yoghurt, as well as fruit juice.

I'm feeling much better today but am still going to sip fluids, just to settle my tum. Here's to the next seven kilos!

All - a heartfelt thank you to everyone. Last night things seemed to settle down and I kept down a bite of a sandwich and a yoghurt, as well as fruit juice.

Glad things are getting better for you, one thing I would like to ask . A bite of a sandwich and a yogurt.... surely that wasnt all u ate all day :eek:???

I'm feeling much better today but am still going to sip fluids, just to settle my tum. Here's to the next seven kilos!

Good Luck to you xxxx

Errm, yep, pretty much. I know it's not ideal - before the fill I was able to chomp through a couple of apples, a banana and a carrot as well as er - I can't remember.

Hi Bubbles

Were you advised that sandwiches were ok? I only ask as I was advised to avoid fresh bread completely as it swells in the pouch and can cause discomfort or even pouch stretching! x

Well, I went for the band because you can - pretty much - eat anything. You're quite right that bread absorbs the water in the "pouch" which can cause discomfort.

I say "a sandwich" but in reality it's one round of bread which I'm eating in small bites over three hours so far.

I went for the band because it stops me from eating bread, rice and pasta. Pasta and rice being my downfalls pre op ;)

I went for the band because it stops me from eating bread, rice and pasta. Pasta and rice being my downfalls pre op ;)

I agree totally 100% here with Maz ( I was in same boat), sorry bubbles but you should have a word with ur dietician as I have never known a bander too be told its ok too eat anything. and regarding the last message I sent u about wot u had eaten all day yesterday ( the bite of sandwich and yogurt) but this isnt right, get back in touch with your provider asap. Your way too tight................You are not going to be able too survive on what little you are eating, your doing more harm then good, get it sorted asap hun, I dont mean to come across as sharp but this is ur health and I dont wanna be reading in 2/3 weeks/months that you have been admitted in hosp with malnutrition or dehydration.....plz dont leave it ... all the best hun xx

I agree with the others being over 2 years out I feel I have plenty of experience that says you should avoid bread, pasta and rice.

I think you are too tight as well, you should be consuming a minimum of 1200 calories a day, with at leat 60-70 grams of protein in there.

You are harming your body by not giving it enough fuel and I can tell you that when you are too tight weightloss can be almost zero.

Hullo BlueDiamond my dietician is great, if a little scary. I got told off for eating too much fruit the last time, so am scaling that back.

I think I might be too tight simply because it's only been a few days since the fill and I'm a bit swollen. After a while that'll ease. I've lots of advice on the right foods to eat - high protein doobrys like lentils, quorn - chicken I can't eat at the moment - and as soon as things settle down I'll go back to that with a vengeance.

I'm drinking ok today - much better than yesterday! Tomorrow I'll start the day with some grapes, then more fruit through the day. I don't feel hungry at the moment and I'm drinking plenty. The band will loosen as I lose a bit more. Considering that before I'd sit here eating chocolate all day shifting over to fruit has been quite liberating!

I can't tolerate any type of bread either. Also if you're not eating enough then the weight loss will stop. This is what happened to me Bubbles. I waited thinking it would work better but it did'nt so I suffered for nothing. Good luck xxx

Back