• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fills

NT1977

Hi all,

How long does it take your body to settle down after a fill? i had a small fill of 0.5ml on Monday and today I have moved onto chunkier soup. This is the tightest I have ever known my band to be, although liquids are fine, the soup is not stuck but I can feel it going through my band. I am wondering if this is normal for a few days out and may settle more or if this is what I need to get used to now?

My provider advises 1 day liquid, then 1 day mushy but following my second fill (this was my fourth) I decided to do three days at each stage to give my stomach time to recover.

Me x

I've only had two fills so far and neither made any difference! After the first one I was told 1 day liquids, 1 day mush, but after the second I was told 2 days liquids and 2 days mush. I'm due another fill in a fortnight, after that... who knows! I'm currently at 6.5ml in a 14ml band.

I've only had two fills so far and neither made any difference! After the first one I was told 1 day liquids, 1 day mush, but after the second I was told 2 days liquids and 2 days mush. I'm due another fill in a fortnight, after that... who knows! I'm currently at 6.5ml in a 14ml band.

Sarah...do you mean the fills didn't give restriction..Im due for first fill on the 12th Nov and really hope that helps with the hunger etc
I too have a 14ml and was given a 5ml at point of operation I can honestly say now its all settled down I too don't feel restriction and was hoping the fills help that??:wave_cry:

@Val: They didn't give any restriction (I wasn't expecting them to, not yet!) but I meant in terms of settling down.I always follow THG's advice to the letter, but I get the feeling I could have walked out of the clinic and into Pushka (one of my favourite restaurants, three doors down from the clinic) and tucked into a meal with no issues at all.

@Nina: THG always leave a minimum of 3 weeks between fills, because they say it can take that long to settle down. I guess it's hard to tell in the first few days.

Hi both. After the first two fills I felt no different at all, but after the third and fourth I certainly know. I have a smaller band than you do so at 6.5mls it is over half full. I don't think I will have more after this x

I'm starting to be able to eat more so hoping for some restriction after my fill. Just hope my weight evens out and i start losing again!

it can take a while for things to settle after a fill, it's why a lot of providers make you wait 2-3 weeks between fills.

My first 8 fills didn't make a difference, but my 9th has taken me the other way and I'm now in my 4th week of trying to get things to settle. I can't eat unless it's finely mashed or ryvita/crackers and I struggle with cold liquids, water and milk. As such, after having no restriction for 13 months I've gone the other way, so there is a very fine line between none and over restriction.

At that sort of level in a 10ml band it would be smaller amounts of fills, because you're likely to be close to the right spot. But when you do have a tighter level of restriction you will have that sensation of the food etc passing through, take smaller mouthfuls, chew really well but you may find that you need to leave longer between mouthfuls to give the food time to pass through and so it doesn't build up above the band.

:)

I always had day of fill on liquids then back to normal next day, id know within about 4 days how good the fill was because first few days were always tighter, but just be prepared it can take many fills for some people and fewer for others also I think depends on how they do your fill as to how effective they are.

Having a really bad day today and not even soup is staying done. Have called to make an appointment for a de-fill on Tuesday as I am on holiday from Wednesday for a week. REally hope it doesn't come to this but we will see how it settles over the weekend.

I am fine in myself but been a bit stressed at work, this could be affecting it, will see how I settle x

I'm booked for a defill on Monday too, I'm struggling to get anything down, even orange juice went down but didn't stay. Tired of being sick and realised it's now 4 weeks and in that time I've only eaten 3 meals of mash. Ugh!

Band is super tight today. But with son having surgery this week it's been stressful and that can make a difference, if you're struggling it's definitely worth getting checked out.

When I spoke to my provider today they told me to go back to liquids only until Monday,....

The joys eh!

Since I had my band on the 10/06/13, I have had 2 fills and that bring my fills to 5.5mls. I do not have so much restriction but I am loosing weight very slowly. I prefer that rather than being tight or over fill. For example , I haven't lost any weight for almost two weeks now. So NIna, I will say you should slow it down and manage with the little restriction you have got. And I most say that you have done amazingly well.
One

topKat - blimey I feel your pain, how much will you ask them to remove?!

Paula - I know you are right, I ummed and ahhed about this one a lot begone having it done but after talking to the dietician and nurse decided to go for it. I am really not focused on my weightloss, more how healthy I feel. Does that make sense?

it does make sense. I didn't rush my fills and during the first 12 months had no restriction, but then felt I needed it and had 3 fills 2 weeks apart, it's this final fill which has literally sent me over the edge.

I'm thinking or asking them to take me down to 11.25 of 11.3mls as I don't even want it to be 11.5 with how things are. But it's the main man I'm seeing and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to take it lower than it was.

But I shall be relieved, because not being able to eat, or being sick or even sliming on water isn't fun :(

/so are you still on liquids at the moment? Do you get pain when you are eating soup etc or does it just feel going through? One thing if maybe worth doing first is taking smaller mouthfuls, and waiting longer between mouthfuls. The only 3 meals I have eaten I've taken less than a teaspoon in and waiting a good 90 seconds even 2 mins between each mouthful.

It is so tricky to get it right isn't it. I have been stressed at work this week and tighter than usual. I have been really feeling some foods go down and had tightness that I have had to wait about a minute between mouthfuls to let it get through. I have also heard the noises and gurgles with each passing mouthful. If tight or possibly stuck, I swallow a second or third time...not actually swallowing anything but it seems to help what ever is stuck or feeling tight to get through.

My tightness may also coincide with trying to eat less slider food. I could eat a whole ready meal size of lasagne! But I can only eat half or a third if I add steamed broccoli into the mix.

Tonight hubby got chicken kebabs. I managed most of the meat and a mouthful of salad but left the rest. I chewed loads and waited between mouthfuls.

I have got 6.75 in a 10ml band. I am deciding if I need more? I don't want to be tight, but I don't pb and anything tight always goes down in the end.

You guys are doing so well. It cant be fun being that tight, though I suspect good for weightloss?

it is difficult to get it right especially when such a small amount of liquid can make so much difference...on the few meals I have been able to eat this month I've certainly had to leave longer between mouthfuls.

It sounds as if you have a good level of restriction there summerband if you have to wait, can feel that food and adding the crunch to a meal is what the band is about - so by having vegetables with what is a slider type food, takes it longer to pass through, but is also what keeps the hunger at bay.

This is why with fills and restriction it is worth doing a complete review of what you eat to be more band friendly before going for a fill - it sounds as if you have a decent level of restriction so I would be hesitant at having more added and change the foods first. Dry, crunchy, avoiding foods with sauces etc

Being over restricted is no fun, I have more pain at the moment than what I had at time of and just after surgery.

Plus For me it's not good for weight loss :( it's actually the other way because of the only types of food that will go down, ryvita with butter, biscuits etc are high in cals, carbs and fat, so for me I've actually put on the past 10 days

Back